Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Food
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Philippines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tatsuo1

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject: balut Reply with quote

Whatever. I don't really care what filipino foods you like. Get it?
Captain_Fil

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: balut Reply with quote

tatsuo1 wrote:
Whatever. I don't really care what filipino foods you like. Get it?

Oops!

I forgot to mention sinigang, lumpia, pancit, bistek, sisig, torta, banana cue, ginataan, puto, taho....

Wink
tatsuo1

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 5:38 am    Post subject: bistek? Reply with quote

Are you kidding me? No one in the phils knows how to butcher beef!...LOL
Captain_Fil

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, Filipino food is best served during breakfast.

When you wake up (from the sound of crowing roosters and roaring tricycles) in the Philippines, you are soon treated to a hearty breakfast of fried eggs, fried rice, fried fish, fried longganisa, fried tocino, torta, bibingka....

The smell of so much food, so early in the morning, is intoxicating. Masarap!

My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

Mr. Green

ESL teachers are in for a real treat over there!
PattyFlipper

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Fil is an ethnic, so his food tastes and opinions thereon may be somewhat partial.

If you read many of the Asian expat forums, one overriding criticism of the Philippines seems to be that the local food is mostly execrable (one account I read told of a Pinoy lad, brought up in Europe, who simply refused to eat Filipino food on his trips 'home' as he thought it was 'disgusting'). This opinion is usually expressed by people who have spent considerable time in other countries in the region. My own experience was that the local dishes I tried were not bad (not a gourmet's delight either though), but that the larger cities and tourist areas offer a fairly good selection of quality international food.
Captain_Fil

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PattyFlipper wrote:
Captain Fil is an ethnic, so his food tastes and opinions thereon may be somewhat partial.

If you read many of the Asian expat forums, one overriding criticism of the Philippines seems to be that the local food is mostly execrable (one account I read told of a Pinoy lad, brought up in Europe, who simply refused to eat Filipino food on his trips 'home' as he thought it was 'disgusting'). This opinion is usually expressed by people who have spent considerable time in other countries in the region. My own experience was that the local dishes I tried were not bad (not a gourmet's delight either though), but that the larger cities and tourist areas offer a fairly good selection of quality international food.

I may have been born in Manila, but I grew up in California. Thus, I have enjoyed the ethnic cuisine of so many cultures in the diverse United States.

So my food tastes are not partial. My food tastes are international. I am more of an eclectic than an ethnic.
Wink

Actually, there is good food in the Philippines. And it is so affordable.

Having spent four weeks in the Philippines last year, I know what I'm talking about...

At the floating restaurant called Isdaan (located in Gerona, Tarlac), six of us were treated to a most delicious dinner and desert. The total price: $40. (In the US, this would have cost $150-$250)

There really is good food in the Philippines. Just eat at nice restaurants. It won't cost you an arm and a leg.
Cool
El Chupacabra

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: re chop suey et al res Reply with quote

Captain_Fil wrote:
The best is BALUT! With a sprinkling of rock salt, it is a taste of heaven. Masarap! Very Happy

And chop suey originally came from Taishan in Guangdong Province. So it really is Chinese in origin. Wink

Balut rocks! It's the gourmand's answer to classic conundrum of which came first, the chicken or the egg.

I like shouting "Balut!" from Kuya's motorcycle when cruising around my wife's hometown. It's a great laugh-getter considering how white I am.

BTW Pancit Canton is much better than the noodles you get here in Canton proper.

In California, do your relatives ever make the rellenong bangus? That's my personal favorite. My wife's favorite is the green mango slices with baby shrimp paste.

Masarap!
Captain_Fil

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: re chop suey et al res Reply with quote

El Chupacabra wrote:

In California, do your relatives ever make the rellenong bangus? That's my personal favorite. My wife's favorite is the green mango slices with baby shrimp paste.

Masarap!

In California, my relatives make many different Filipino foods: longganisa, pork adobo, pancit, lumpia, etc.

Sometimes we go to Jollibee or Goldilocks for halo-halo or taho.

As for balut, I prefer fresh. Not frozen. So, I only eat balut in the Philippines.

I'm glad you enjoy, my fellow connoisseur.

I feel sorry for other TEFLers who have never tasted heaven.

Cool
tatsuo1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:53 pm    Post subject: re:heaven? Reply with quote

sounds like the filipino saying about durian, "smells like hell, tastes like heaven"... LOL
Nasty fruit!
Captain_Fil

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: re:heaven? Reply with quote

tatsuo1 wrote:
sounds like the filipino saying about durian, "smells like hell, tastes like heaven"... LOL
Nasty fruit!

Balut smells enticing and tastes intoxicating.

Don't knock it 'til you try it!

Cool
misteradventure

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:19 pm    Post subject: food Reply with quote

I seem to recall a difference between 'lumpia' and 'spring lumpia' from my 3 years in Pampangas.

Granted, pancit is fairly unique, but the difference between fresh and frozen balut escapes me. If the difference is anything like the difference between fresh and frozen soerstroemming (sp!) in Scandinavia, the difference is only for you foodies to argue.

ps- I don't have a proper character set to type some of these words.

Now, if you could quote some price ranges, from side-of-road food shack (with stools or chairs and at least one table!) to Take-a-Date-to-this-Restaurant prices, I'd be interested. It's been a long time since I bartered for a trike ride

I'm cruising for excuses to go back. Really.
tatsuo1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:15 am    Post subject: re: durian Reply with quote

@Fil what makes you think I haven't tried it?
Captain_Fil

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: re: durian Reply with quote

tatsuo1 wrote:

I'm sure you have. And more than once, I guess.

But have you tried halo-halo Pampanga-style?

Masarap!

Mr. Green
Captain_Fil

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: food Reply with quote

misteradventure wrote:

Now, if you could quote some price ranges, from side-of-road food shack (with stools or chairs and at least one table!) to Take-a-Date-to-this-Restaurant prices, I'd be interested. It's been a long time since I bartered for a trike ride

I'm cruising for excuses to go back. Really.

When I was in the Philippines last year, I ate at some really nice restaurants.

At Gerrys Grill in SM City Clark, a dinner for five (including drinks and desert) cost around $45 or 2000 pesos.

At the floating restaurant called Isdaan in Gerona, Tarlac, a dinner for six (with drinks and desert, of course) cost about $45 or 2100 pesos.

I, in my generosity, paid for these dinners.

Hope this helps.

Cool
tatsuo1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: re: durian Reply with quote

Captain_Fil wrote:
tatsuo1 wrote:

I'm sure you have. And more than once, I guess.

But have you tried halo-halo Pampanga-style?

Masarap!

Mr. Green

Halo halo in manila of course! Isn't the best? But seriously, nothing beats lechon baboy. That crispy outer skin. the soft, succulent meat roasted over a slow charcoal grill flame. Not exactly healthy, but then it is pork.... hahahaha
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Philippines All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: