Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

One or two week short-term teaching jobs?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
santi84

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 2:39 am    Post subject: One or two week short-term teaching jobs? Reply with quote

Does this exist in Europe? Time of the year is unimportant but I assume if it does exist, it would be the summer.

My reasons are simple, I have a (very) young child and would like to get a bit of TEFL experience but do not want to leave him for more than one or two weeks maximum. I do not expect to make any money although if it was possible, that would be nice Smile

Thanks for any information.
rafaella

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen a few summer school positions (mostly in the UK) advertised on tefl.com which offer a minimum period of employment of two weeks. Are you an EU citizen, though? If not, I imagine it would very difficult to secure such a position. I'm sorry to sound pessimistic.
santi84

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks rafaella. I'm Canadian so I figured anything in Europe would at best be in the eastern parts although I'm 27 so I can still qualify for a working holiday visa (and I don't know if it matters but my mom is Hungarian, do I qualify for anything with that if I do the appropriate paperwork?)
rafaella

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Santi84,

As I'm from the UK I've never had to look into working holiday visas or getting EU citizenship so I can't give you a lot of advice, I'm afraid. I believe you can obtain an EU passport if one of your parents is from an EU country but I think it can be a fairly long process. It might be worth considering if you want to work in the EU for a longer period of time in the future but I'm not sure it would be worth it just for a two-week stint somewhere.

There's a thread on the Italy Forum entitled "Camp jobs for non-EUers" which you might find interesting. You might also want to post your question again in the General Forum as that seems to get more traffic. I'd also suggest sending NatureGirl a PM as she knows a lot about applying for EU citizenship.
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a Canadian citizen, you automatically get 90 days inside the Schengen zone. the greatest risk to non-EU citizens is overstaying this limit - which you are not apparently proposing to do.

You would be on tourist status, hence not actually legal to work, but if you can find a gig just for one or two weeks, you would be unlikely to have legal problems, apart from any seriously bad luck! The further risk is that you would have no legal recourse against any employer who didn't pay, etc.

But for just such a very short stint, the risks aren't huge.

I expect you are already aware that jobs in Europe generally don't pay for transit to and from the country - for such a short job you are obviously looking at a significant outlay on your part for travel.

the fact that your mother's Hungarian won't make any difference in terms of your legal eligibility for work permits.

As for citizenship, it is a legal process and can take quite a lot of time. I have a friend who has also obtained Hungarian citizenship through his father, and it is helpful as he can now apply for jobs in the EU, but as rafaella points out, not useful for just a short stay anyway. Bear in mind that with citizenship come responsibilities as well: taxes, possible military service, etc. There can be language and culture exams as well (similar in Canada for immigrants). It's not recommended to gain a 'foreign' citizenship unless you really want to become a citizen of that country, with a clear understanding of all the implications of what citizenship will require!
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're mom's Hungarian, look into citizenship. Hope your case is more cut and dry than mine. MIne's going on 12 years trying to get citizenship and we keep getting more and more roadblocks thrown in our path. Crying or Very sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: