Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's everyone got against Haiphong?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
catflap

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:46 am    Post subject: What's everyone got against Haiphong? Reply with quote

I've read a few very negative post about Haiphong on this and other forums.
What's so bad about the place? I'm currently working in a v dull town a few clicks outside Hanoi and thinking of a change. I went down to Haiphong a couple of weekends ago just to look around and it seemed quite a nice town with a number of decent bars and restaurants - paradise compared to where I am now. It's a decent sized place so there must be some opportunities for English teachers. Does anyone know what the local job market is like and if anyone down there is hiring at the moment?
London Bridge

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: What's everyone got against Haiphong? Reply with quote

catflap wrote:
I've read a few very negative post about Haiphong on this and other forums. What's so bad about the place?

Nothing bad about the place. As long as you are driving through.

It's a port town. Not much there, really. Port town are....port towns. It's an underbelly of a town, and things operate a bit differently, there because of all of the good coming and going.
mark_in_saigon

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 12:20 pm    Post subject: I liked it just passing thru Reply with quote

But there certainly are some negative posts on it. I also think that the smaller population would make it less crazy than HCMC or HN, and the air seemed cleaner as well. Plus, the moderation in the winter would be interesting. But a lot of people make it sound terrible. Just passing through, I liked it.
LettersAthruZ

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What's everyone got against Haiphong? Reply with quote

catflap wrote:
I've read a few very negative post about Haiphong on this and other forums.
What's so bad about the place? I'm currently working in a v dull town a few clicks outside Hanoi and thinking of a change. I went down to Haiphong a couple of weekends ago just to look around and it seemed quite a nice town with a number of decent bars and restaurants - paradise compared to where I am now. It's a decent sized place so there must be some opportunities for English teachers. Does anyone know what the local job market is like and if anyone down there is hiring at the moment?

According to friends of mine that reside there, EVERYBODY'S hiring!!!

Why??

Nobody stays longer than three weeks on average (unless they get married to a local).
I see my friends there about five or six times a year (not a horribly long bus ride from where I reside), it has ALL of the minuses of a big city and none of the plusses and, well, let's see -

1. It's thee most corrupt and crooked city not in Viet Nam, but in all of South East Asia. The Vietnamese Mafia is widely regarded as originating and currently based in Hai Phong and Quang Ninh Province (directly to the north of Hai Phong City). Thusly, this results in the local law enforcement shaking down Tay for much hoi lo ("bribes")! The local police act literally without fear of repercussion, because there is no repercussion there against rogue cops, so they're all rogue cops (whereas, if you are a local cop, well, you'll prolly get suspended or at least yelled at for attempting to shake down a Tay for a bribe in Ha Noi or Ho Chi Minh).

Tay are generally untouchable throughout 98% of Viet Nam....but they are THAT corrupt and THAT ballsey in Hai Phong that this happens routinely....

Street scams and theft literally overwhelm this city. I've been to HCMC a number of times and I go to Ha Noi at least once a month and Da Nang six times a year or so, but, I mean, by comparison - the sheer RATIO of the volume of street scams and theft crimes and such that I have observed and have been a victim of in proportion to the number of residents in Hai Phong is stunning!

Hoi lo ("bribes") for things such as marrying a local (average 5 to 10 million VND in Da Nang or Ho Chi Minh) or a Red Book Registration allowing you to move into a house (maybe 800,000VND to 1.2 Million VND in Nha Trang or 1.5 milion VND in Ha Noi) are MUCH HIGHER in Hai Phong!

They go around a 40 million VND bribe (marrying a local) and 2.4 million VND (for obtaining a Red Book house resident registration) in Hai Phong!

2. Filthy and noisy!!

3. People there ARE NOT the most pleasant at all.....just ask Vietnamese residing ANYWHERE ELSE in Viet Nam what their opinion is about A) - Hai Phong City and B) - People from Hai Phong and the responses you get will be a real eye-opener for you, Mark!

4. EVERYTHING shuts down in Hai Phong between 9PM and 11PM at THEE latest!

5. Food there sucks (fortunately, my friends cook for me whenever I visit and stay at their houses).

Literally, I could go on and on and on - but I'd really like somebody else to jump into this discussion......[/list]
LettersAthruZ

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ON THE PLUS SIDE -

1. It is only a 90-minute Hydrofoil boat ride to beautiful Cat Ba Island

2. Since all of the Tay have already departed, you can probably command a premium rate teaching there.

Errmmm......that's about all that I got for positives! Rolling Eyes
catflap

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm! I'll have to think about this one. The place obviously shows a different face to resident tays from the one you see passing through.

Thanks for the responses, guys.
snollygoster

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 4:05 am    Post subject: NICE PLACE Reply with quote

Haiphong is a nice place if you are a mafiaso.
Drugs flow freely, prostitution is open and blatant, contraband galore, AND believe it or not, according to a number of western embassies, most of Vietnams' "rip off" pay up marriages originate from there.
In fact, there is an unwritten rule in western embassies that a Viet woman seeking a married visa with a westerner or VK, has paid money to the mafia to "arrange" this. So applications from Haiphong receive very strict scrutiny. It also has the highest incidence of fraud in visa applications, not in Vietnam, not in Asia, but in the world.
There MAY be some honest people living there, but I never met one, nor met anyone who has.
In the street, a drugged out beggar asked me for money because he was hungry- I gave him a bread stick and he threw it on the ground and asked for money instead- Maybe he had strange taste buds.
Nice people, nice place.
LettersAthruZ

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, if you exclude the [EXTREMELY OVERPRICED] Parkson Centre mall, the bowling alley and the Big C (which are literally thee three only sources of amusement in Hai Phong) - Bac Ninh is more fun and interesting than Hai Phong is....
bludevil96

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: NICE PLACE Reply with quote

snollygoster wrote:

In fact, there is an unwritten rule in western embassies that a Viet woman seeking a married visa with a westerner or VK, has paid money to the mafia to "arrange" this. So applications from Haiphong receive very strict scrutiny. It also has the highest incidence of fraud in visa applications, not in Vietnam, not in Asia, but in the world.

SG-

Please provide us with some evidence to back up this "fact". Rolling Eyes
snollygoster

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 12:09 pm    Post subject: Fraud in visa applications Reply with quote

Source? Call and ask the embassies yourself. Lets just say I am certainly in a position to know this.
snollygoster

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 10:29 am    Post subject: Visa fraud Reply with quote

The Vietnamese Government was placed in Tier 2 in the 2007 U.S. Department of State�s Trafficking in Persons Report for not complying with the Trafficking Victims Protection Act�s minimum standards for the elimination of trafficking� humantraffickingorganization.com

Just one of numerous entries by lawyers, state departments etc.
Want more, pm me.
WuTangShogun

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Haiphong is the Jam. Reply with quote

I just got back from more than a year in Hai Phong. I had a blast. Of course, I'm the kind of guy that likes hanging around in dive bars and tent restaurants.

Seriously though, don't believe the haters. It's dirty, corrupt, risky, and amazing. There's ZERO tourism, which means the locals aren't trying to hustle you all the time like in Hanoi and Hoi An. They're curious, friendly, and they don't treat foreigners like a walking billfold. It's the kind of place where you have to make your own fun - get a bike, make some friends, explore the town and countryside around it.

Hai Phong is real waterfront Vietnam. Full of sailors and gangsters. It's not dressed up or laid out on a platter, and it has a bad reputation. Good. Hopefully that reputation will keep the softies out.
inhanoi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quote: "Lets just say I am certainly in a position to know this."

Oh, please. Anyone who actually had access to such inside information wouldn't suffer the indignity of writing about it on an anonymous internet forum.
Beautiful Loser

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been told that there's a lot of guns in Hai Phong. It may be true.

Six cops shot Thursday while they were executing a forced removal from a piece of land:

http://www.tuoitrenews.vn/cmlink/tuoitrenews/society/six-cops-shot-in-forced-removal-case-in-hai-phong-1.57529

One motorcycle cop shot and killed, the other wounded on Monday:

http://vietnamnews.vnagency.com.vn/politics-laws/law-justice/219332/hai-phong-policeman-shot-dead-while-persuing-suspects.html

I've heard the same thing about paid marriages/fraud that Snolleygoster mentioned and about the heavy mob presence.

Where teaching is concerned, I've seen a lot of ads with a salary like this:

-Net 1,100 USD per month

http://www.eslemployment.com/esl-teaching-job-in-hai-phong-vietnam-hai-phong-vietnam-2750416.htm
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've driven through Haiphong and that's pretty much the limit of my personal experience with the city. However, I do know some people who have worked and lived there quite well and, overall, they seemed to have enjoyed the experience. They also said that the locals there were amazingly friendly and welcoming.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: