Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rugby (or other sports which aren't football)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mouse

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 5:52 pm    Post subject: Rugby (or other sports which aren't football) Reply with quote

Does anybody know whether there is any decent rugby played in Catalonia or Spain as a whole? Or any good places to watch it? Failing that, how about American football, hockey or what-have-you?
avahanian

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: Rugby (or other sports which aren't football) Reply with quote

Mouse wrote:
Does anybody know whether there is any decent rugby played in Catalonia or Spain as a whole? Or any good places to watch it? Failing that, how about American football, hockey or what-have-you?

I don't know about rugby, but ice hockey is not very popular unfortunately.

As far as American football, isn't there a league in Europe now? Barcelona does have a team I believe.
avahanian

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: Rugby (or other sports which aren't football) Reply with quote

Mouse wrote:

I forgot to add, that there is only one sport anyone cares about in Spain, and that is FUTBOL !
Mouse

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Futbol. Pah. A more wussy, girly, tedious sport I'd be hard pushed to name. The fact that it's nigh-on a world religion does not make it any more watchable.
avahanian

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mouse wrote:
Futbol. Pah. A more wussy, girly, tedious sport I'd be hard pushed to name. The fact that it's nigh-on a world religion does not make it any more watchable.

ha ha ha

well if you do go to Spain you'd better get used to watching nothing but Futbol as far as sports is concerned Smile

and make sure not to call it a wussy sport when in Spain Smile
Mouse

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm already in Spain, Avahanian, and have lived here before, and you're right: it gets a lot of coverage here. Basketball, too, which isn't so bad. As for telling them it's a wussy sport, you'd be surprised how many people here don't like it, either (or at the very least agree whole-heartedly with me when I suggest that)...

As an aside, I'm going to take it, from the complete lack of replies (better than my query about flying lessons, anyway) that nobody is a) interested in bothering to tell me where I can watch a rugby game, or b) doesn't know. Ta, anyway.
grahamb

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:03 am    Post subject: Rugby in Spain Reply with quote

Try this website: http://rugby.sportec.es/main.htm
SpanishFly

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Mouse"]Futbol. Pah. A more wussy, girly, tedious sport I'd be hard pushed to name.

Baseball .
grahamb

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 9:40 am    Post subject: The National Pastime. Reply with quote

Heyyyy, whaddya mean? Baseball's fantastic! Much better than that cure for insomnia, cricket.
Mouse

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, cricket. How my old headmaster loved that sport. And how all of his students grew to hate it. Any field game which can take more than a day to play is too long, in my humble opinion. And isn't baseball just rounders with funny gloves on? (By the way, I've found a local team, and am now playing rugby in Spain! Yay!)
lozwich

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please, please, puhleeeeze tell me there's no cricket in Spain.

Just thinking about it is making me break out in hives.. Shocked
grahamb

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 9:11 am    Post subject: Cricket in Spain. Reply with quote

The Anglo-Saxon colonists on the costas probably play it.
Mouse

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I confess that there are many sports that I don't understand... or more precisely, many sports which I more-or-less understand, but cannot see the attraction for. Cricket is the king of that particular castle, but many of my students (and colleagues) rave about formula one, and try as I might I cannot find that interesting, either. Any agreements out there?
lozwich

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like 500cc motorcycle racing, and have no valid reason why... Embarassed
Mouse

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motorbiking is really popular here. My boss lives across the hall from a famous rider (apparently -- I've never heard of him). It's better than formula one, anyway, right? Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: