Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Auc housing for Tefl fellows

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ankara

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 8:10 am    Post subject: Auc housing for Tefl fellows Reply with quote

Hello,

I am going to start studying at the AUC as a TEFL fellow this year. I have submitted my application for the on-campus housing but I am not sure what types of rooms are available for the TEFl fellows. Does anyone know if the fellowship covers the housing fee for single and suite single rooms?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mabruk on the Fellowship.

If you were in the US, I would suggest just calling the NYC office and asking them. But, I suspect from your screen name that you are likely in Turkey. Personally, I would invest in a phone call to them or the Cairo campus and ask. We haven't had any current AUC teachers or Fellows here for a long while. A few years back we had a Fellow that was unable to get into the hostel as it was full.

In the past, the Fellowship provided a room in the student hostel or a small stipend. The idea of sharing bathrooms... and living area with a herd of giggling girls mostly from the Gulf, whose sleeping habits held little similarity to my own, held little appeal to me. Laughing I took 100% of my stipend (housing allowance and salary) and rented a furnished flat. Then, of course, I had to bring in money to live on for the first year, but by the second year paid all my bills from private lessons.

Now that they have moved out to the new campus, I don't really know what the facilities are like. Surely much better than the old women's hostel in downtown Cairo back in the mid-80s. Cairo should be an even more interesting place to spend the next couple years than it was back in my time.

VS
Ankara

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Veiledsentiments!

You guessed it:) I live in Ankara.

I continued sending e-mails to the university and eventually I was told that the fellowship covers only double rooms. One may choose to get the LE1250 housing allowance and rent a flat downtown, as well (like you did); but as this will be my first time in Egypt, I think I will stay at the dorms at first. I may follow your path afterwards, though.

Ma'salamah...
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder what a double room is. A shared bedroom? Shocked Or separate bedrooms with a shared "living area." I hope it is with a fellow Fellow and not a Freshman from upper Egypt. Cool

But, I agree that it is a good idea to spend at least the first semester there to get the lay of the land. I was fortunate to be able to pick up the flat of a previous Fellow in my department.

Have fun! Come back and send me a PM as to how it is going.

VS
Ankara

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it will be a shared bedroom Rolling Eyes But I had to share a room during my BA and I guess I am kind of immuned to the noise of "a herd of giggling girls" Smile . I have prepared myself for every unpleasant surprise that I may encounter in my first semester but we will see...

I will be able to post more masseges about the AUC and the fellowship when I get there and I will certainly send you a PM.

Take care!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All you need is one more post and then you can send PMs. Cool Do let me know how it goes. I am curious about these living arrangements. In my day, the Fellows did get a private bedroom, but everything else was shared... I was in my late 30's and had never done the "shared living" thing in college or after.

I am also curious as to how the political situation is affecting things. It should be a very interesting time. It is likely a good thing that the campus is no long right on Tahrir Square.

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: