Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MA full time vs distance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
demitrescou

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 5:08 pm    Post subject: MA full time vs distance Reply with quote

For those in the know:

Is it right that an MA by distance takes a minimum of 2 years?

If an MA is completed by distance learning is such some how displayed on the certification thereby placing you at a disadvantage (in some places)?

I've seen the posts regarding comparisons between MA TESOL and MA Applied Linguistics so I won't be repetitive, but how about an MA in TESOL and Applied Linguistics (as one MA - currently offered by a couple UK universities) Best of both or best not to bother?

Kind regards to all those on these boards sharing their knowledge with the ignoramuses and/or the lazy ones who just don't do their research.
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't speak globally, but the reputable UK unis (Birmingham, Leicester, Surrey, Edinburgh - others?) do not indicate on the certificate whether an MA was completed on-site, by distance, or was a hybrid.

Two years is the norm, including dissertation, for distance programmes (they assume you are also working). The programmes I know of allow a maximum of six years. To be honest, even if I hadn't been working, I don't think I could have done it in less time and maintained quality in terms of my getting a lot out of the programme and ending up with high marks.

On-site programmes in Britain are, I think, usually one full year.

If you have found a blended MA TESL/TEFL and App. Ling, why not? Covers both bases, after all.
Skyblue2

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Universities in Australia are massively overpriced right now for an MA TESOL. This is partly due to currency appreciation. Some of the big names include:

* Melbourne
* Macquarie
* Woolongong
* Deakin
* Curtin
* Monash

At today's exchange rates, these will cost you about $20,000 USD. The UK now looks like a good bet for distance MA TESOL programs given the costs. There are a lot of options. The prices can vary, but most are 6,000 to 8,000 GBP.

Here are some of the more well-known ones:

* Portsmouth - 3 years PT - 6,000 GBP

* Lancaster - 2 years PT - 5,700 GBP per year, so possibly 11,400 GBP total

* Sunderland - 3 years PT - 6,000 GBP

* Manchester - 3 years PT - 6,600 GBP

*Leicester - 3 years PT - nearly 8,000 GBP

* Birmingham - 30 months - 7,200 GBP

* Nottingham - 2 years PT - 6,600 GBP

* Aston - 2-5 years PT - just under 7,000 GBP

The fees are usually broken down into annual installments (or even less frequent ones). The downside to this is that most places increase their fees by approx. 5% a year for inflation.

Bear in mind that many of these programs are also structured in tiers from Cert. TESOL (part 1), to Dip. TESOL (part 2), to MA TESOL (part 3). If you have finished a Dip. TESOL, you can probably get advance credit for the Cert. portion.

Also, it's important to remember that each program has different application deadlines. Most have two cohorts per year, but some only have one. You have to plan several months ahead to start the program.

For advance credit, most universities offer a discount. However, there are a couple of exceptions: Portsmouth and Manchester require you to pay for their whole program even if you are exempt from a large chunk of it, which seems a touch cheeky.

I would post links to all of these programs, but I don't think I have accumulated enough posts to have that privilege. If you have any experience with these programs, feel free to share -- it would probably be appreciated.

Someone posted the above over on the Korean forums. I thought it might be useful.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOt put on the cert, but employers can tell if you graduated from a UK uni and were working in China the whole time. Some are faster if you can take summer classes or allow you to transfer credits.
demitrescou

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info guys.

Most discussions seem to revolve around MA's in TESOL/Applied Linguistics. How about an MA English Language Teaching What's it worth? Anyone done it?
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

English Language Teaching is pretty much the same. AL seems more theoretical, ELT more practical, hands-on. Depends what you want for the future.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: