Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching in Italy - Suggestions?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mtm216

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 6:27 pm    Post subject: Teaching in Italy - Suggestions? Reply with quote

I just recently got my TEFL certificate and was hoping to relocate to Italy in the near future, preferably in Aug/Sep. I am from the US but I have dual citizenship in Italy as well. Unfortunately I have no prior teaching experience but I do have 4 years of working experience in finance/accounting (which is useless for this I assume). Is there any possibility of finding a job teaching anywhere in Italy without physically being there? Thanks for any possible help/advice.
MilanTeacher

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing as you are a dual citizen, and have a TEFL certificate, you shouldn't have problems. Actually, finance experience is great, because Business English is in big demand (especially in Milan).

Early September is the best time to start looking, when the schools open up after the summer break. It is really hard to get a job lined up before coming, everyone will want to interview you in person. The best strategy is to come with several months worth of savings, and pound the pavement when you arrive. Start making a list of English schools in target areas, and set up interviews for when you arrive. Don't be surprised if you don't hear anything in July/August as most places shut down or are working with few staff members.

Other advice: limit your expectations, and bring ample savings, Don't expect to make more than 1,000 a month after taxes, which won't go far (in a city like Milan it means shared accommodation and living on a very tight budget). For the first year or two you will likely be required to work the shifts no one wants (i.e. late nights, weekends, etc), and there are often large gaps during your work day which you aren't paid for. If you decide to stay in the long run, you can slowly start to build up private clients and control your own schedule more, working less, and making more. This requires a lot of patience, and a good command of Italian though. But having savings when you come is very important, because it means you won't have to depend on every single hour a school gives you just to pay your rent (I did this, and it was awful), and you can be more selective about your clients.

Good luck!
mtm216

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thanks for your help. I am hoping to be back in Italy in August so maybe I can take care of a bunch of interviews while I am there.
acmurray

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second that part about savings!! That caparra (2-3 months' rent) really kicks you in the stomach after having spent a small fortune on temporary housing.

It's also good to start taking on private students before you find a job in a school to give you a little security (though not too many and preferably not many that can ONLY do evenings, as then you risk having to give them up when your school piles the hours on).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: