Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice appreciated re Cambodian Visit.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teabone

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:28 am    Post subject: Advice appreciated re Cambodian Visit. Reply with quote

Hi to all,

I will be going to Cambodia (for the first time) in a couple of weeks time. I have been, for the past 7 years, living and working as a university teacher in Thailand. I want a change and having considered options available to me in Thailand, would like to spend a 10 - 14 days in Phnom Penh to see how that compares.

I am single, 54 and a UK male. It maybe useful for you to know that I am not rolling in money � I will be staying in budget guesthouse type accommodation initially and hopefully finding a small studio / room should I find a reasonable job.

I have been teaching for over 20 years, in both the UK and Thailand, I have a BSc (2.1) in Psychology and I have a Cert Ed. I also have criminal records check for the UK (dated September 2003 - I moved to Thailand in Jan 2004) and a Thai Police criminal records check (dated October 2010). All of my teaching experience has been in the post 16 sector, and it is in that sector that I would hopefully be looking for work in PP.

The purpose of this post is to see if any of you who have been in PP for a while can offer advice in the two areas of most concern to me i.e. finding accommodation and finding work. I would appreciate it if any of you could advise on any of the following �

Visa�s �

1 - What is my best option (if I have any) for when I first arrive? I have heard of Visitors Visa�s and Business Visa�s. Is there a recognised procedure for people arriving with the intention of finding work?

2 - What sort of cost is likely to be involved in getting a visa? � again, I have heard of figures ranging from $20 for a month to $250 for a year.

Accomodation �

3 - Are there any reasonably priced, centrally located (to colleges / universities and shopping / bar / food places) hotels that you could recommend? I would be hoping to move within a couple of weeks to�.

4 - Any reasonably priced, centrally located (to both colleges / universities and shopping / bar / food places) guesthouses / apartments / rooms that you could recommend?

5 - What sort of money could I reasonably expect to be paying for the above?

Employment �

6 - I understand that the usual procedure for getting a teaching job in Cambodia is to go around and show your face, armed with CV�s and letters of application. I shall be arriving loaded down with both. Other than dressing smartly and not stinking of last nights ale, is there any advice you would offer?

7 - Is there a decent map of the city that includes a good number of colleges / universities marked on them?

8 - Which colleges / universities, in your opinion, are most likely to prove fruitful?

Other.

9 - Are there any other issues or bits of information that you think it wise for me to consider, both before arrival and for when I am �treading the streets�?

I can appreciate that many of you who have been contributing to this site must be tearing your hair out at yet another �newbie asking dumb questions� post, but I shall be grateful for any suggestions you can offer that will make my trip more productive.

Many thanks � Teabone.
seamallowance

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually stay at Dar Reang Sey when I am in Phnom Penh. Works fine for me, and they can handle a Western breakfast.
Teabone

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Seamallowance, it gives me somewhere to start Smile

Cheers - Teabone.
sigmoid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know you can get a 30-day visa on arrival. That was my experience, but I wasn't coming from Thailand. Travel agents and the embassy will have more info.

http://www.cambodiaevisa.com/
http://www.cambodiaevisa.com/asia/cambodia-embassy-in-thailand/

A tourist visa is cheaper, but cannot be extended (as far as I know). If you want to stay longer get a business visa. If you're just having a look, get a tourist visa. The business visa is $30 - 35? Again, you should confirm this info.

The Capitol is a well-known favorite which is nothing special. There are many other guesthouses in that area, some of which are owned by the Capitol. The location is somewhat central but fairly busy.

Here's their website:

http://www.capitolkh.com/

Travelfish has a fair amount of info, but I'm not sure how accurate or up-to-date some of it is, like guides/travel writing in general:

http://www.travelfish.org/accommodation/cambodia/phnom_penh_and_surrounds/phnom_penh/phnom_penh/all

Anyway, it will give you some idea of what else is available.

Two other sites that you might want to look at:
http://www.bongthom.com

There are some jobs, but not many schools advertise there. Go down to the "other services" section for maps, etc. There is also info about apartments there in the classifieds and other assorted and sundry stuff you may find useful.

This site has more jobs, but again most schools don't really advertise: http://www.camhr.com/
Check the all jobs and education/training sections.

For a fairly comprehensive list of schools:
http://www.yellowpages-cambodia.com/categories/0/kh68

Anyway, the local Cambodia discussion forum is down now, but will relaunch soon.
Teabone

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigmoid - thank you very much, this is all very useful info. I am grateful for your time and effort.
PattyFlipper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding visas, there are two types. Both are obtainable at the international airports in Phnom Penh and Siem Riep and also at land border crossings. A tourist visa costs USD$20 and is valid for one month. It can be extended for a further month, after which you must leave the country. There is also a tourist e-visa available online for $25 (an additional $5 over the regular fee), but I wouldn't bother with that as it is relatively quick and simple to obtain on arrival.

Business visas (I have heard that they recently changed the name to 'ordinary visa' or some such, but most people still refer to it as a business visa) cost USD $25 and are initially valid for one month. If you are coming into Cambodia via the Aranyaprathet/Poipet border-crossing, it is likely that they will try a number of well-practiced scams to extort more from you than the official fee, whichever type of visa you ask for.

Business visas can be extended for periods of 3, 6, or 12 months in-country, with the latter two being multiple exit/re-entry. Costs are around $150 -$170 for 6 months and $250 to $285 for 12 months, depending on which agent you use. Few expats hassle with the immigration office directly, and most travel agents in Phnom Penh can obtain the extension for you.

You will need one passport-sized photograph for the initial tourist or business visa when you arrive, but the only other supporting documents presently required for either one are those bearing the portraits of dead American presidents.
Teabone

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and thanks to PattyFlipper.

From what you have said, I think that the best way for me to go would be the business visa. As I am living in Thailand at the moment, even if I did not find Cambodia was a good option for working, I could always keep a 12 month visa for multiply visits.

I very much appreciate your advice - thanks again.
greyskymornings

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 12:22 am    Post subject: #2: Visa Reply with quote

As a lot of the others said, there is probably nothing easier than obtaining a Cambodian visa. They literally do it at the airport. They request that you bring a passport-sized picture with you, but if you don't have it, you just pay an extra $1-2 on top of the $20 for the (I think) 3-month tourist visa.

Super, super easy and quick.
PattyFlipper

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: #2: Visa Reply with quote

greyskymornings wrote:
As a lot of the others said, there is probably nothing easier than obtaining a Cambodian visa. They literally do it at the airport. They request that you bring a passport-sized picture with you, but if you don't have it, you just pay an extra $1-2 on top of the $20 for the (I think) 3-month tourist visa.

Super, super easy and quick.

$20 is for the ONE MONTH tourist visa, which is renewable in-country for a further month.

Officially, you can't get a 3, 6 or 12 month visa at either the airport or a border-crossing point, however some of the immigration officers at Phnom Penh airport are engaging in a little private enterprise and will obtain an extension of the ordinary (formerly business) visa for you, at prices slightly higher than those charged by the agencies in town. You will also have to go back to the airport after a couple of days to collect your passport.
Teabone

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again thanks to all for your advice.

I have now booked my flight for next week and I shall be going around the Universities and other tertiary places in PP armed with C.V's and copies of qualifications etc.

I am hoping to book a guesthouse online, for around about $10 per night and be looking for something more long term asap.

Once again, any up to date advice on either of these issues would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again - Teabone.
timmy69

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teabone wrote:
Once again thanks to all for your advice.

I have now booked my flight for next week and I shall be going around the Universities and other tertiary places in PP armed with C.V's and copies of qualifications etc.

I am hoping to book a guesthouse online, for around about $10 per night and be looking for something more long term asap.

Once again, any up to date advice on either of these issues would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again - Teabone.

If you could, please keep us informed of your progress in searching for a job in the universities. Myself, and several other people would be interested to know how you fare because odds are one or several of us will be following in your footsteps within the next year. Cheers!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: