Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Applying for out of state jobs?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trinley

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 1:37 am    Post subject: Applying for out of state jobs? Reply with quote

Hi, I'm wondering if it's worthwhile applying for ESL jobs in other states. I'd like to hear about experiences if anyone has done this.

I just moved back to the US after teaching abroad for 5 years, and I'm in my native North Carolina. I'm in the capital, but jobs are scarce. I've exhausted all options in language schools and colleges. I've been looking for nearly 6 months and only just started a part-time position for a community college. Pay is good by the hour, but they told me this position will remain part-time. It's not going to be enough income.

Sometimes I see full-time jobs that I am qualified for on careerbuilder.com. For example http://www.careerbuilder.com/JobSeeker/Jobs/JobDetails.aspx?IPath=JRKCV2A&lr=cbmc_no&ff=21&APath=2.21.21.0.0&job_did=J8C2X35YLTVTN97S2Y0

This job is in Arizona. I would have no problem moving to another state, but do employers want to to deal with candidates applying from out of state? Since it doesn't take someone highly qualified to teach ESL (unless, I suppose, it's a university looking for a PhD), I would think they'd find enough interest locally. Should I bother sending applications to these jobs or are they going to think I'm an idiot? Most of us have moved out of country for it, but has anyone moved out of state for a full-time ESL job?

BTW, I know "It can't hurt to try" is a tempting reply, but I'd like to know more specifically if anyone has applied for and gotten a job out of state in this way.

Thank you.
fraup

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I applied for my current community-college job while out of state (actually in Canada!) BUT in my cover letter I mentioned that I'd grown up in this area and planned to move back in early August, both of which were true. I'd decided to find a job flipping burgers if necessary, but happily I got a phone call from the Dean and had a job offer.

My advice: look on www.chronicle.com for ESL teaching jobs; look for states which have large non-native English populations; join TESOL, or just look at their jobs listing. Community colleges have no budgets to fly prospective faculty in for interviews. Do some research and see if you can narrow down some places you'd like to live, places with large college populations and relatively low living costs.

I don't post all that often, but you can try to PM me if you'd like.
fraup

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and a PS: I assume you have a master's degree, which comm. colleges will require. Also, should mention that several people I know here have started as adjuncts and then found full-time positions. You may be able to cobble together 2 (or 3) part-time jobs till you get something fulltime.
Trinley

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi fraup, thanks for your reply. I'm guessing since I only have a BA I'm not that desirable of a candidate for a job that's worth relocating for. I did get hired as an adjunct instructor in a community college without a Masters though. I guess I got lucky.
johnslat

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Trinley,

Not that lucky, in my experience. I do have an MA, but I've been adjunct teaching ESL at Santa Fe Community College for about eight years now, and most of my colleagues haven't had MAs.

Regards,
John
VikingElvis

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Applying for out of state jobs? Reply with quote

While your link has expired, I suspect you and I applied for the same company (they wanted an accent modification coach at the time, I believe) - family stuff prevented me from leaving the state at the time I applied, but the position was in Phoenix and they were more than happy to interview me from Seattle. Qualifications wise, I only have a BA in linguistics and a CELTA.

I'd just say you're willing to relocate if you're offered a position. Typically a job posting will explicitly say they only are interested in local applicants.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: