Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why Internet Explorer?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Old Surrender

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:21 am    Post subject: Why Internet Explorer? Reply with quote

Why does it seem like a lot of Chinese business sites (China Southern Airlines, Bank of China for example) are Internet Explorer-centric? I'm not a computer nerd, but most of the computer nerd types I know scoff at IE.

It's also a minor gripe of mine; I use Linux and MS doesn't release software for Linux for obvious reasons.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did a study on internet browsers recently and then discussed this with my classes. In 2003, about 90% of computer users worldwide used Internet Explorer (IE). In 2008 that figure was 70%. Now its about 55%. Firefox and Chrome have only recently become popular outside of China, thus the decrease in market share for IE.

But in China those IE numbers are a lot higher, almost every computer in China seems to have it (every computer I've seen at least). Surprisingly 35% of Chinese still use IE6 (unstable and user unfriendly) probably because there are so many people running equally ancient (and pirated) copies of XP. Newer versions of IE do a Windows Genuine Authentication check to try and get people to upgrade to a more recent (and legal) OS etc etc. . . Anyway to answer your question: web developers in China set their sites up to work best in IE since that's what everyone uses here. But even then many of them haven't done a good job of it since lots of sites wont function properly unless its loaded in IE6. There seems to be no compatibility built in for later versions of the browser.

As for the nerds, lots of them scoff at anything MS produces just because it's popular to hate MS. The latest version of Explorer (9) looks pretty stable and functional though, and it seems to get good reviews so far. I haven't used it for ages but since downloading Ver. 9 I find myself using it some more (but you need Windows 7 to run that one).
Little Tiger

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you seen the state of most 'public' office computers in China? I think it is a case of they simply don't know about any alternative, they all you pirated XP and I think it's a case of 'it's what we have so we use it'.

Most Chinese will not use their computers for more than QQ, Taobao, RenRen and little flash games, but every Chinese package they install is full of Spyware, Malware etc

Now I for one think the Chinese have missed a trick with Linux, I have used it for years, but they use pirated XP because it is free.. Well then logic follows to use Linux, because it is free and better. Though I honestly don't think they care one way or the other..
Salvatore

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IE 9 seems faster to me, but, it doesn't have the "Favorites" toolbar at the top of the screen. I had to click once on the right and then click again to go to certain "favorite" websites.

It is just 1 more click, but I like seeing the different boxes on the screen. Some have pretty nice pictures!

Perhaps there is something I could've done to change that, but computers aren't my forte = back to IE 8.
jimoin

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why anyone uses IE, it's so slow and useless. I mean it's forced upon users who have to make an effort to find something else, and those who aren't computer literate don't bother.
Salvatore

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps some people really don't care about computers or download speed etc..?

I will look into Linux and ask my computer technician to fix it. Simple as that.

By the way, I have a 4g Android phone with 38 megahertz of broadband power, ability to run various apps and still find time to eat!

Here comes the "h"erd.
clownshow

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IE is the choice of companies and to access many websites you need it. For example BOC will only work with IE.
nickpellatt

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing as IE is being discussed, I wonder if anyone can help me with an IE problem I have? I run IE8 with Vista on a DELL Inspiron. I dont actually run it often, because I seem to have a glitch and so use FireFox most of the time.

The glitch is this ...

Im sure you notice the cursor flashes when you type, or are in a typing screen. This could include a forum, facebook, wordpad etc. If I use IE, my key strokes are only recognised at certain times during the cursors flash pattern. As a result, many of my key strokes are missed and dont show on my screen as they fall outside the cursors flashing pattern.

Any ideas? It isnt a huge problem as I use FireFox now because of the problem...but there are a few sites I use that have compatability issues with FireFox.
wangdaning

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nickpellatt wrote:
Seeing as IE is being discussed, I wonder if anyone can help me with an IE problem I have? I run IE8 with Vista on a DELL Inspiron. I dont actually run it often, because I seem to have a glitch and so use FireFox most of the time.

The glitch is this ...

Im sure you notice the cursor flashes when you type, or are in a typing screen. This could include a forum, facebook, wordpad etc. If I use IE, my key strokes are only recognised at certain times during the cursors flash pattern. As a result, many of my key strokes are missed and dont show on my screen as they fall outside the cursors flashing pattern.

Any ideas? It isnt a huge problem as I use FireFox now because of the problem...but there are a few sites I use that have compatability issues with FireFox.

Try uninstalling/re-installing. If that doesn't work, try upgrade/downgrade (if downgrading, upgrade afterwards if it works). Not familiar with Vista, skipped that one, but in general windows can be a bit of a pain. Sometimes things like this fix it. Also, your registry might be messed up, but that is a bit technical to fix.
Little Tiger

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nickpellatt wrote:

The glitch is this ...

First off, what websites have compatability issues with FF? I'm just curious tbh as I haven't come across any before.

The problem 'might' be that there is too much info in your IE cache, temp files and browsing history etc, so it is slowing down the whole experience with IE. To fix this problem is simple enough
Old Surrender

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had some Internet problems and the tech guy came by and looked at my screen, eyes wide as coins.

"Ubuntu?!" (Ubuntu is a version of Linux)

He tried, gosh darn it, he tried but there was no luck in fixing my tubes. I had to show him where everything was in Ubuntu, but he knew how to do some stuff in the Terminal (think MSDos), but to no avail. I was impressed he knew what it was.

I had to get an American dude to come by and take look at it. Fixed it right quick.
Mr_Monkey

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not a specifically Chinese problem; it's a "dumb" problem.
VietCanada

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Firefox. Almost 11 years now. I like that I can click the icon and go online immediately after installing. I noticed IE9 still has a questionnaire that must be answered before you can go online.

Same with Windows media compared to VLC or Media Classic.

I have less trouble shifting back and forth from Open Office to any version of MS Office than I do shifting between different versions of Office.

If this stuff was offered at point of purchase instead of only MS I doubt MS would have the market share they have. Blind leading the blind.
VietCanada

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clownshow wrote:
IE is the choice of companies and to access many websites you need it. For example BOC will only work with IE.

Starfall is an excellent ESL site that apparently requires Firefox. According to the site if you use IE the site may not function properly. OTOH I've not encountered any sites that require IE. Not even windows update anymore.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little Tiger wrote:
First off, what websites have compatability issues with FF? I'm just curious tbh as I haven't come across any before.

The problem 'might' be that there is too much info in your IE cache, temp files and browsing history etc, so it is slowing down the whole experience with IE. To fix this problem is simple enough

About 99.9% of the sites in the country where I'm in can't handle FF. And even to use IE you have to download "twinkle, twinkle little star" or "Active X"

I guess they don't realise how many people hate IE:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: