Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Salaries in the North of Spain

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TBone

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 12:55 pm    Post subject: Salaries in the North of Spain Reply with quote

I know its a touchy subject but as I start looking for work there, I just wanted to know the average salaries for regular classes, children, private lessons, business classes and all that jazz. is there even any difference? its always tough to just grin and bear what your school tells you if you have no idea what you are looking at comparatively?

thanks

since I'm asking, What is rent like there?
grahamb

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 8:44 am    Post subject: Here or there? Reply with quote

Spain's a big country. Do you mean Galicia, Asturias, Cantabria or the Basque Country? Rents will vary according to your location.
TBone

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I know its a big place! I was hoping not to narrow it down too much, just to get a reading on how salaries are across the region, but specifically I would be interested in Cantabria and Pais Vasco. would you be able to help me out at all?
grahamb

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 9:05 am    Post subject: Northern Spain Reply with quote

The short answer is no. Check out the vacancies on the International House website, ihworld.com. They had a vacancy in San Sebastian recently. On tefl.com I saw a vacancy in Asturias. Edunet.com also carries Spanish vacancies. You could also search Google using "TEFL" and "Cantabria" as keywords.
lozwich

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi grahamb,

The reason I hadn't asked the same question as TBone is because I was kind of assuming that there was some national pay requirement that all schools had to follow. Is that incorrect? I've seen lots of inconsistent pay rates, but assumed that it was because of differering hours, not a different hourly rate.

Or, should I have listened to an old lecturer of mine who always said "Never assume anything"?? Smile

Have a good day,
Lozwich.
grahamb

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 9:42 am    Post subject: Pay rates Reply with quote

Someone once told me there's a national agreement, but if there is I don't know anything about it.
grahamb

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 9:43 am    Post subject: Reported speech Reply with quote

Sorry, I should have said "Someone once told me there was a national agreement..." Oops!
lozwich

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 2:09 pm    Post subject: two questions.. Reply with quote

1. At the risk of sounding like a complete doofus, what's wrong with "Someone once told me there is a national agreement"? If the agreement is supposedly still in place, wouldn't you use 'is' instead of 'was'?

2. How do you say 'doofus' in Spanish? Wink

Whoops! That's 3 questions!

Have a great day.
Loz.
SEndrigo

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: two questions.. Reply with quote

lozwich wrote:
1. At the risk of sounding like a complete doofus, what's wrong with "Someone once told me there is a national agreement"? If the agreement is supposedly still in place, wouldn't you use 'is' instead of 'was'?

2. How do you say 'doofus' in Spanish? Wink

Whoops! That's 3 questions!

Have a great day.
Loz.

Hiya Loz,

You're right on # 1

as for # 2, many ways, but you can always use "jilipoyas" (don't ask how to pronounce that, there's only so much we can do on a message board)
grahamb

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 9:08 am    Post subject: Reported speech Reply with quote

I disagree re "Somebody once told me..."
Anyone else like to offer an opinion?
lozwich

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 2:34 pm    Post subject: oh no! Reply with quote

Grahamb,

I didn't mean to start an argument! God, there's been enough grammar stoushing in the Mexico forum lately to last me the rest of my life..! Crying or Very sad

Maybe we can say both things "Somebody told me there is" or "Somebody told me there was" ??

Please lets not fight...
lozwich

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 3:27 pm    Post subject: is this the answer? Reply with quote

I know I said let's not fight, but I think I might have found the answer..

"Somebody once told me there is a law" can be used if you are certain about the existence of the law, but,

"Somebody once told me there was a law" suggests that you are uncertain about whether or not the law actually exists (which is what Grahamb was saying...). Also, reported speech is traditionally put into the past tense to distance the speaker/writer from what is being reported.

This comes from my boss, who told me all about a book called The English Verb by Michael Lewis (apparently where the above information came from).

I fully admit to being new at this grammar thang, but each day is for learning, right?

And sorry for hijacking your OP, TBone.

Have a great day, folks!
Lozwich.
grahamb

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 10:05 am    Post subject: Reported speech Reply with quote

Lozwich, I thought I was right, hence the question. I wasn't squabbling. Like you, I'm still learning the finer points of English grammar and am quite happy to be shown the error of my ways.
When I got home I looked up reported speech in Grammar for English Language Teachers (Martin Parrott, CUP). It confirmed what you said in your posting about uncertainty. Great! Then I had a look at Practical English Usage (Michael Swan, OUP). He says past and present tenses are both commonly used, but I think that would only serve to confuse students. I think the "uncertainty" distinction makes it clearer.
All the best!
Graham.
lozwich

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Reported speech Reply with quote

grahamb wrote:
All the best!

And to you Graham! Smile

I didn't mean to imply you were squabbling, got me on a fragile day yesterday, and after lurking too much on a nasty argument in a different forum, I just didn't want to be the cause of something nasty to escalate.. Its one of the things that I don't like on this forum - when people get snappy at each other.

In any case, we're probably both a lot smarter now, so all's well that ends well, and all that hogwash! Very Happy

Lozwich.
Russell Hadd

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:04 pm    Post subject: Pay Agreements Reply with quote

I'm a bit out of date not having worked in Spain for 8 years but there used to be a national agreement between the CCOO & the schools' association (called ACADA or something similar) or it might have been at a higher level in terms of an agreement for a non-Civil Service pay structure. I never remember being on strike over pay - so it can't have been that bad but we were certainly out a few times over contracts when the 9 month contract came in. I decided that that was time to go elsewhere. That was until I went to sign on and spent a rather enjoyable 6 months living off of the Spanish brew - 75% of normal salary in those days. Is it still the same?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: