Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mobile Phones - Changing Droid Software to Western Version

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eslteach

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 7:13 am    Post subject: Mobile Phones - Changing Droid Software to Western Version Reply with quote

I want to change the Droid Software on my phone to a totally western version. I dont want to see any chinese on my phone at all expect in the dictionary. (For example, remove Baidu search and use only Google)

Is this possible?
Mr_Monkey

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be - there's a hue modding scene for Android. What's the phone?
eslteach

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im pretty sure its the Huawei u8800. I think I have seen other names for it, IDEOS maybe.

I went to the Applications Manager and went to everything that said Baidu (just one example) but the "uninstall" option was always greyed out.

I would be amazed if there was not some way to download a western version of the software that is entirely in english and has purely western applications. Seeing chinese on my phone irritates me.
Mr_Monkey

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start here.

From what you describe, it seems that you would need root access in order to at least change the default settings. You should be able to change the greyed-out settings with root. Root-level access is the equivalent of administrator access on Windows.

There probably is a way to install a different ROM on the phone - it's practically identical to the HTC Desire Z - but you are going to be reliant on the work of others to do so - each type of phone has individual hardware that requires its own set of drivers, for example.

It's a new phone, so I don't know if there has been a proper custom ROM released for it yet. I'd be inclined to keep a close watch on the Cyanogenmod forums. CM is my favourite mod for Android.

I think rooting your phone will solve the default search provider problem you have. However, if you want to at least make the Chinese stuff invisible, you should be able to go to Settings > Language and keyboard settings, and change the default input method to English.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: