Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SCAM WARNING: ESL ASIA/Jobs Japan/Japan Placements
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daphne

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:54 am    Post subject: Taiwan/PRC bogus recruiters Reply with quote

I want to bring everybody's attention to two perfidious recruiters who advertise regularly on most other job boards, but seldom (if ever) on Dave's.

Bryan Wu (esljobtaiwan@gmail.com) usually advertises 100+ positions throughout Taiwan, but if you pay attention; many of the jobs stay on his list for months and months. This is because either nobody would take the job or the job had long been filled, but he keeps it on his list to make it seem he really has a full plate of options for those seeking work in Taiwan.

I know teachers who've wasted weeks or an entire month on that island with the hope of B. Wu hooking him up with a full-time gig, but he usually has just part-time positions (8-10 hours a week) in rural areas to offer. And, apparently the full-time gigs he can set up; are from schools that have a history of many previous foreign teachers going permanently AWOL.

A recruiter for Mainland China I've had experience with is called Cherry Cui. She recently sent me a contract for a position in Jiangsu and asked me to pay for the visa and flight to the PRC ASAP...then, you guessed it; the night before my departure to China she emails me to say the school can no longer hire and she has no job for me if I arrive the next day.

Now anyone who has flown with Air Asia knows that inside of 48 hours to the flight, there can be no refunds or even changes to the air ticket, so, yes; I was royally screwed.......and Cherry never apologized for the screwup, and shortly afterwards stopped corresponding with me.

Avoid Bryan and Cherry like the plague (as they say)!
hqliew

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the heads up Smile
nater

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any list of "known legit" schools one might peruse? I'm aware of the big ones, AEON, JET, etc but would love to see a list...
bombay_kitty

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nater wrote:
Is there any list of "known legit" schools one might peruse? I'm aware of the big ones, AEON, JET, etc but would love to see a list...

JET's not a school but a government sponsored program in Japan for all public schools. AEON as well is Japan based. Japan seems to have a fairly tight-knit circle of well-known English schools, I'm not sure about other countries.
Lukefla79

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:40 pm    Post subject: XTEC in Barcelona, Spain SCAM!!!!!!!! Reply with quote

They offered me 1800 EUROS per month with furnished 2 bedroom apartment and reimbursement for flight. They hired me without interview and they say the head director is on leave and they want me to pay $750 EURO for the plane ticket, and they will cover the rest and they will reimburse me for my 750 when I get back. here is a copy of the acceptance email that I received. I will also include the school info they provided me below.

XTEC (Xarxa Telemŕtica Educativa de Catalunya)
Via Augusta, 202-226
08021 Barcelona
Telčfon +34931845731

Dear Luke,

We are very pleased to hear from you again. We would like to inform you and let you know that your application was successfully selected and fully considered by XTEC. We received the message from the school yesterday evening and your application was among the few selected candidates. Right now, a contract agreement has be attached along with this message for you to read and review carefully before going to the next step. You will only need to fill in the upper part of the agreement which will include your names and address and forward it back to us. You do not need to sign at the bottom of the agreement until you arrive and sit with the board of directors to sign together.

Your application was selected with few others base on the evaluation conducted by the school on the resume/cv's presented. You will have the opportunity to sit with the school board of directors when you arrived to the school for an introductory interview. The inteview is not to determined whether you will be taking or not anymore. It will only be an introductory interview to get you more acquainted with the school. Should you feel like waiting for the Director to get back and conduct an interview with you over the phone before taking any further step, please kindly indicate.

There is going to be a 2weeks orientation training program for all the new teachers and it is very important for every teacher to participate in this program. You will have to register your information when arranging your flight reservation with the agency. The training will be handle by the Immigration Expert Team Organization. They will also make arrangement for all your traveling plans. They will pick you at the Barcelona Airport when you arrive to give you more details about the training and get you safely to the school provided accommodation. You will be visiting many places in Manlleu and most of the important areas of Barcelona cities during the orientation period in order to get good familiarity with the environment.

Should you decide not to wait for the Director, Then, you will need to contact the agency ASAP! so they can register your information for the program and also start with every necessary arrangement to get you to the school. They will also search for a good and affordable flight that will take you from your present location to Manlleu in Barcelona. You can contact the Agency via email (immigration.expert6@consultant.com)

Kindly get back to us promptly, after reviewing the contract agreement, to further confirm your interest and acceptance of the position. You will need to forward to us your flight itinerary once it is booked, In order for your name and profile to be included in the new English Version of the school website which is currently under upgrade.

Let us know if you receive the contract agreement.

Regards

Arnaldo Cruz

Dear Luke,

We are pleased to contact you again with the update from the school regarding the airfare and how it will be shared. We did received a message back from the school few moment ago. How ever, We would like you to understand that due to the fact that other teachers are also involved in this flight situation, The school will not be able to assist much on the flight fare for teachers. They will only give flight support base on the school financial budget for the year.

Right now, The board of directors has decided to support you with the sum of $360 from the total sum of $ 1,110.00 of the flight fare presented. You are only to make available to the Immigration team the remaining amount of $750

It is important to know that, You will be reimburse with the sum of $750 upon your arrival and signing of the contract officially with the school and resuming duty. You will need to inform us ASAP! once you have made the payment available to the agency so that the school can also forward their part payment. Once your flight is booked, you will forward to us the itinenary informations so that the school will be aware of your flight schedules and be able to organise a welcome party for you. The immigration team will also need to provide you with a confirmation message of registering you for the training and orientation which you will need to forward to us as well.

Let us know if this message is perfectly understood. We will wait to hear back from you promptly.

Regards

Arnaldo Cruz
gusto

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:38 am    Post subject: WARNING AMERICAN INTERNATIONAL STUDENT FOUNDATION IS A SCAM Reply with quote

This organization promoted through colleges and school districts a cultural festival for teachers, graduate and or college students to be assistant teachers, parents and American students to participate in a fun festival to be housed in the Shenzhen Oriental English College. The CEO is Michael Yuyue -michael_yuyue@126.com. He is a dangerous man. I am with a group of several American and one Canadian veteran teachers who volunteered to participate with this program. We were to be given travel perks/benefits for volunteering. It was a horrible experience. We were not taken to the Shenzhen Oriental English College. When we arrived at the Shenzhen Airport, we were taken quickly when we got off the plane to a gated school, Shenzhen Shyan Public School and directed to our rooms. We were to be housed in teacher apartments at the SOEC. We were given rooms that were comparable to war prison cells. As soon as we discovered we were not where we suppose to be the bus was gone. Our luggage was set in the street with no help to leave the place. Most were fearful, screaming and crying. The neighborhood was not safe. My husband and I with an American-Chinese immigrant newly graduated college student attempted to retrieve a taxi for all of the people who wanted to get away. None would take us. It was late in the evening. We were told that not enough students enrolled in the program, so we had to be sent to this school. If we left, we would not get our $600.00 promised to us for our purchased flights. This was a very dangerous and fearful situation. The veteran teachers worked together to get us out of the area, but many of the college students felt they had to stay due to the fact they needed their $600.00 and could not afford to pay for flight changes. These poor college students are trapped there. We offered to pay for them, but many think they need a certificate for their colleges that promoted this program. We left many crying students at the school. We warned the American and Canadian Embassy and requested there assistance. We worry greatly about the people left in the school. Hopefully the embassy will check this out. It is not safe for any international people to be at this school. After hours of trying to get out of this area, the CEO appeared and stated he did nothing wrong....we can still stay in the rooms and he owes us nothing because we were leaving. His guards at the school with him laughed and taunted us. They imitated one of the nearly retired woman teachers who was screaming/crying about how no humans should live in these conditions. The CEO laughed so hard he was holding his stomach. Finally the principal of the school, Jackie Chan, who was not affiliated with the program showed up and explained that he rented the school to this CEO with the understanding the school was only fit for Chinese students. He gave us a letter stating he knew back in May that the AISF cultural festival was canceled, because there was not enough Chinese students. It also states that it is not a suitable area for international people. He told us it was not safe and got us to a hotel. The hotel told us it was not safe. We arrived in China July 7th and are now going home safely on July 14th. We spent much money to try and teach Chinese students, but were placed in a horrible situation. We were treated so badly and were threatened. The CEO threatened the Chinese/American Immigrant about what he could do this her family's green card. He left quickly when he heard me call the American Embassy to report this event and state that we felt we were kidnapped or trapped. Again it was a scary situation. The teachers and college students who got out were lucky that we could afford the costs to get help and leave, but we are truly worried about those who stayed and hope someone checks them and gives them help. Please beware of this organization. This is being reported as we all sit in the Shenzhen Airport. We look forward to leave China ASAP.[/b]
Mydnight

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lost sleep last night after reading this post. Anyone know if this is legit or not? OP, if you still have access to the net, please pm me more info. If there are still people stuck there, I could offer asylum until the matter is sorted. Contacting the embassy in cases such as these was smart but i would have contacted the police first.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mydnight

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lost sleep last night after reading this post. Anyone know if this is legit or not? OP, if you still have access to the net, please pm me more info. If there are still people stuck there, I could offer asylum until the matter is sorted. Contacting the embassy in cases such as these was smart but i would have contacted the police first.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
maotouying

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: posting passports Reply with quote

Chris_Crossley wrote:
roywebcafe wrote:
I have been asked by a contact of workforce solution http://www.workforcesolution.co.uk/ to send my passport and photo to them in the post.

The only time I would ever send my passport to anybody through the post would be for cancellation (subject to renewal) to the UK Embassy of whichever country I happen to be living and working in at the time, meaning, at the present time in my case, the PRC.

What a potential employer should be satisfied with is a scanned copy of the passport page that includes your digital photograph and other details, although I would personally block out the passport number just in case someone gets hold of the information and attempts fraud in any way.

If the employer still persists in having you send them your passport, then refuse to have anything to do with them any longer.

I have never seen anyone ask for your passport directly. Most I have been asked was send a SCANNED copy of the passport. Big difference and or if not, I suggest asking for clarification of what they are actually asking for.
AnomanderRake

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:58 am    Post subject: Another bad Beijing recruiter Reply with quote

Warning: Beijing recruiting agency called ChinaESL run by a woman, Rebecca, out of her apartment. This woman posts ads and arranges interviews like a normal recruiter but if you get hired it will not be with the school you interviewed with. Rebecca has teachers sign a contract directly with her and takes half your monthly pay, limited paid holidays and no benefits. The contract also states that the school can "never" hire you directly. She pays off administration to keep this system going. If you have no other options...it is still a bad way to go.
kneef

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Taiwan/PRC bogus recruiters Reply with quote

Daphne wrote:

A recruiter for Mainland China I've had experience with is called Cherry Cui. She recently sent me a contract for a position in Jiangsu and asked me to pay for the visa and flight to the PRC ASAP...then, you guessed it; the night before my departure to China she emails me to say the school can no longer hire and she has no job for me if I arrive the next day.

Now anyone who has flown with Air Asia knows that inside of 48 hours to the flight, there can be no refunds or even changes to the air ticket, so, yes; I was royally screwed.......and Cherry never apologized for the screwup, and shortly afterwards stopped corresponding with me.

Avoid Bryan and Cherry like the plague (as they say)!

The night before your departure? That's awful! Thanks for the heads up. I recently made contact with said Cherry Cui and she sent me a contract for a university in Nanjing, Jiangsu province. Everything seemed pretty standard and legit, until I stumbled upon your comment in this thread. Did you ever contact the institution where you were supposed to teach directly?
PYT

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thread

Thanks for all the heads up.
peewee1979

Location: Once in China was enough. Burned and robbed by Delter and watching others get cheated was enough.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:51 am    Post subject: Delter Business Institute Reply with quote

My first job in China and I went to a school called Delter. DELTER TELFORT or Delter Business Institute. It has several variations that they use.

I came in as a replacement teacher. It means every other teacher had quit and I was recruited to work the rest of the year.

Let me start by saying that Delter is a horrible place. There are so many things to say about it but I will just focus on the worst aspects of this “school”.

To begin with this “school” has no real accreditation of any sort and no physical campus or locations. They are parasites that live in a host school. They are not legally authorized to get you a working visa and they cannot get you a working visa.

They outright lie to you and tell you to come on a tourist visa and they will change it for you but they cannot and do not do that. They have your tourist visa extended and if they want to get you a working visa they have to ask the host school to do it – if the host school can. In fact I never worked for Delter, I worked for the host school even though Delter said I would work for them.

This created many problems, because EVERY teacher got cheated repeatedly out of salary, over-taxed, cheated out of airfare, and never got the traveling money as promised in the contract. When the teachers went to the host school with these problem the host school said “ You DO NOT work for us, regardless what the contract says” and “Delter tells us how much to pay you and if there is a problem you need to deal with them”. What happened is all the teachers got screwed, repeatedly.

Some teachers got taxed way too much. One teacher couldn’t understand why his salary of 6000 rmb had 2300 rmb taken out in a month of taxes. The finance office at the school told him to talk to Delter, Delter said talk to the finance office. Needless to say he quit soon after.

Every teacher got cheated on airfare. It was a shame. Delter made up numerous excuses as to why their airfare was shorted or not paid; the favorite excuse was that school was over and the finance office was closed for the summer and if they wanted their airfare they need to come back in September.

As mentioned EVERY teacher worked on a tourist visa. This is a reason no one should ever do this. One man was teaching English and they didn’t seem to like him much. He came on a 30 day tourist visa. After 28 days in China and working for Delter full time they called him into the office and told him they couldn’t give him a working visa as promised. They kept his passport the whole month. They told him he had to leave the school that day! On top of it, they didn’t pay him his salary saying he didn’t work the whole month so they wouldn’t pay him. He had 2 days left on his tourist visa. He told them he was going to the police and he said they laughed at him and told him he would be arrested for working illegal at their school. He had no choice to leave China and lost much money in salary and plane tickets. He was screwed royally by Delter.

Delter frequently makes teachers work overtime and seldom pays the contracted overtime making up excuses like “ Well last week you worked less than the contract house, so this week you work more, it’s even”, even though the contract says a certain amount of hours per week. They outright lie about everything and anything.

The Delter location I worked at went though about 8 teachers in one year. ALL (except the one man) quit. Most did runners, none gave notice.

One local guy came to Delter to do some part time work. He was told he would get 150 rmb an hour/class. After a month he went to get his pay. It was shorted by half the promised amount. He worked 24 hours a week. They told him that the salary was correct – he was paid 150rmb for 2 periods, they considered that one class. He had the agreement in writing BUT they decided to change it and he had no recourse. For the rest of us 2 periods was two hours. But they openly cheated him.

I will tell you that complaints to the host school and complaints to Delter corporate go unanswered. Many teachers sought help from the host school or called the Delter corporate office. The responses were simply (from the host school) you need to talk to Delter directly, we have no control. From Delter corporate was always a lame response that the local Delter locations were franchisees and we had to sort the problems out with them.

I can tell you that I did not do any research before I accepted the job at Delter. Had I, I would have stayed away. I hope anyone out there considering a job at Delter heeds these warnings. I will tell you that I, like EVERY OTHER TEACHER there, was cheated out of money and worked long hours and got cheated out of promised overtime. They have an excuse for everything but the truth is they cheat everyone – their foreign teachers, their Chinese staff, the host school, and the parents of the students. Delter cheats and lies to everyone.

I will tell you that I bear no malice in my writings. This post is not a fallacy and not a payback in any way. I learned much from this experience in China and this job at Delter. First China seems to have zero standards for what seems to pass as education – it’s only about money, nothing else. I will NEVER work in China again. As for Delter, it is the absolute WORST “school” in China. If someone every goes to Delter to work then they deserve whatever they get. Delter is the bottom of the bottom of companies in China –they are worse than those companies that sold tainted baby milk.

There are many more things I could say about Delter, but I hope you got the gist. I have simply stated what I encountered, from teachers knocking on my door at night wishing me luck and heading to a better place, to students telling me that in the last two years they had 9 different teachers teach them the same class – saying that every year all the teachers quit – none every stayed more than a few months, and even the Chinese staff turns over rapidly.

Delter is the worst school. It is not from Canada as they promote themselves, and has no physical campuses as they show on their website.

No matter how desperate a person is, Delter is far below your desperation. There is nothing good that can be said of Delter or the people that run it.

Peace out.

If you have questions feel free to pm me. I left out the names of the people who ran the school just to keep from making it sound vindictive or like a personal attack. And I met several other teachers who worked at Delter in my travels around China – ALL had similar horror stories and they worked at other locations.

I will post more later as I record more of my bad experiences at Delter
olpha

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:46 am    Post subject: LTTC, Language Teaching & Training Center, Taiwan Reply with quote

Hello all,

I responded to a call for ESL materials writers from this very website (eslcafe.com), signed & agreed to their terms, spent a week writing materials, was asked to rewrite a few assignments, & eight months later, have not received any kind of payment.

The company is The Language and Teaching & Training Center (LTTC), in Taiwan.

While I did sign off agreeing that I would not be paid if my writing was unusable, they had the nerve to ask for revisions & edits to be made, still with no plans to pay, & me having no way of knowing if they haven't already used all of my work in their tests.

My suggestion: don't go near it, if you're a job-seeker, or posting their misleading 'job offer' on your boards.

~David Arthur
big_big_bang_theory_fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next time, take the initiative to demand professional and/or legal verification of their right to conduct such business, government licenses, and payment in advance. You admit that they had the forethought to indicate you might not qualify, despite "doing worK" and thus, out of luck.

Never heard of "if it sounds too good to be true" ? A few hours of work at home, no effort, no commute, no anything, all for some quick cash ? Hmmm, big surprise.

Dave's is hardly the place of reputation in my opinion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: