Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can anyone recommend a GOOD school ???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NomadUSA

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 6:15 am    Post subject: Can anyone recommend a GOOD school ??? Reply with quote

For the most part, what I read about specific schools in this forum is really negative. I have a grasp of the profit-driven nature of these schools, and the crazy owners/managers that oversee them. I know that all schools have their good/bad sides to them, but I know there are people out there who are actually having fantastic luck in their current (or maybe past) experience. I have been debating whether to head to Taiwan for months now and I can't decide which schools are worth looking into further. It sounds like an amazing place, but I'm scared to just head over there with nothing in mind.
Please respond if you have any that you would recommend (conditions, benefits, co-workers, facilities, etc.).

Also, what is the current SARS warning level status across the island?

Thanks folks![/i]
taiwan boy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 10:48 am    Post subject: Taiwan Reply with quote

First, take everything you read on this board with a pinch of salt. People often post here because they have a problem or they feel unhappy about something and want to tell everyone. If 80% of posts here are "negative" that doesn't mean 80% of schools are bad or 80% of teachers in Taiwan are unhappy. Also some people come here with unrealistic expectations and get very angry when their school has realistic expectations. Other people suffer culture shock and cannot or don't want to adjust to life in Taiwan.

Don't be afraid to come here. It's not that bad. Arrive here with at least US$1,000 and a return ticket. That way you can spend some time looking around, interview for a few different jobs and consider your options.

Here are a few suggestions to make sure things work out for you:
1. Talk to the other foreign teachers at any school you are interested in working at. If you can talk to them outside the school all the better. Ask them were they drink or eat and meet them there.
2. If some of the foreign teachers have been there for more than a year it is a good sign that they are happy and it's a good school to work at.
3. Make sure that the management staff are easy to communicate with and provide clear, honest answers to your questions.
4. Be sure that the school has some sort of curriculum and books/materials to help you plan your classes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: