Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Certification Necessary?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
OctaviaMarquez

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:46 pm    Post subject: Certification Necessary? Reply with quote

I have spent several years on Dave's list, and rarely chime in. But here it goes . . .

I recently returned to the U.S. from South Korea. I taught at a hogwon there and earned a really good salary. I have also taught at the college level in the U.S. I am now exploring teaching opportunities in Chile, and fully understand that (a) I will not be paid nearly as much as I had been paid in S. Korea, and (b) I need to go to the country first before being hired (many of you know that that is not the case in Korea and other Asian countries).

I really enjoyed teaching ESL, and have realized that it is something I'd like to do long-term. So, I am wondering, would it be in my best interest to obtain certification (CELTA, SIT, etc.) before I go to Chile? I would like to teach at the university level there. I know that those jobs aren't easy to find, and I am happy to start at an institute or something.

So, the question is . . . if I have advanced degrees from top schools in the U.S. (I have two master's), and I have already taught ESL abroad, should I also get certification?

Thanks for your help.
Dia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your masters or undergraduate are in teaching, ESL, linguistics, etc... no dont bother.

However, even if they are not, you could probably find a teaching job at a university just about as easy with or without the teaching certificate, being that IF there is a strict policy on educational background, it will most certainly require one to have a full teaching degree...
and if not... having or not having a month long certificate will probably not be a deciding factor. (meaning, if the policy doesnt require teaching degree, it probably wont address certificates like TEFL, CELTA, etc. at all, instead the hiring would be more subjective to the hiring committee�s own criteria, which, would hopefully be based on much more practical things like experience and your other degrees than having or not having a certificate).

I don;t think it would be a worthless certificate by any means, but in your situation I dont think getting hired or not would depend on this in most cases. I suppose Murphy;s Law says your first interviewer will ask about your certification Wink This is really just speculation, however, I have nothing more than anecdotal evidence from what;s been asked of me at university interviews
OctaviaMarquez

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I appreciate it. I'm still mulling it over, and it seems that having such certification wouldn't hurt. That's what you're saying to a degree.
aaron.southkorea

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this thread... I have another question regarding certification:

I have a BA in International Studies with 4 years of ESL teaching experience in Korea. Without any other certification or education, what are the prospects available to get a job?

I'm deciding between moving ahead with a M.Ed./MA in ESL/Teaching Certification OR a TESL/CELTA/TEFL. With the latter being cheaper and easier, would it benefit me in looking for a job?

I am just getting into all of this so any other advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Mbarbetta1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings,
I have a B.A. with honors in History and certification to teach the social sciences. Do I need a form of Tesol/Tefl/celta certification too to find a job? It's not a four year degree like elementary education certification requires, but it the New York State requirement for teaching adolescent ed. Thanks a lot!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Chile All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: