Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Barranquilla questions for the year 2011

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
caralee

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:05 pm    Post subject: Barranquilla questions for the year 2011 Reply with quote

The info here is a bit dated, but probably somewhat accurate. I am moving to Barranquilla in June 2011. I have TESOL and two year diploma in writing and communications, and some work experience.

Which schools are best prospects for jobs?
What do they pay? What do they charge the students?
How much should one charge for private lessons?
What's the cost of living in Barranquilla?

I am thinking my best option is to teach privately. Please, send me some info, thanks.
windowlicker

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're certified you might be able to get a job at a high school or uni, but not having a four year degree could be a problem. Pay would be decent, but in a high school the work would likely be a little tough. I'd say it'd be likely you could get 3 million/month.

I doubt you'll find a language institute to get you a visa, but you'll definitely be able to find one to employ you. No idea what pay is for institutes is in Barranquilla.

My guess is a good cost of living estimate for an active person in Barranquilla would be something like $1.1 million with no traveling.
Gregorio

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello caralee... I'm not trying to hijack the post, but what brings you to Barranquilla? I'm moving there in July to teach middle school math and social studies, but I'm certified in the States, masters degree, blah, blah.

I have never been to Colombia, or South America, for that matter, but I am looking forward to the adventure. I would second that language schools are probably not going to help much with the visa, though I could be wrong and there is always a diamond in the rough. My Visa is going to cost me a trip to Chicago and about 250 American dollars, but I get reimbursed upon my arrival. This also entailed me getting copies of all my degrees, appropriate apostolles, etc., copies of work contract, and Spanish translations. My school is being very helpful in the process, but they contract somebody to help all of the incoming teachers.

Maybe our paths will cross in Barranquilla.

!Buenas Suerte!

Greg
windowlicker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg, what's the name of the school? Marymount? If so, I generally hear good things about them. I think you'll be in good hands.
Gregorio

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks widow. I'll be at Karl C. Parrish, and I've heard great things about both schools.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: