Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TEFL cert if im NYS teacher certified?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mbarbetta1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:01 pm    Post subject: TEFL cert if im NYS teacher certified? Reply with quote

Greetings,
I have a question about TEFL cert and landing a job. I am under the impression that TEFL cert really helps with getting a job. I am not TEFL certified but I do have a New York State certification to teach. That means I've spent the past three years training to be an adolescent social science teacher and have spent (literally) thousands of hours in the classroom. But, being a recent college graduate, as I am sure many of you can relate to, money is tight. I really just don't think I have the money to spare to get a TEFL cert. and cover the initial living expenses of S.A. Would this sort of certification be necessary to land a job? Or is having a New York State adolescent certification enough? Thanks for the help! If you have any other advice on Chile or personal experiences please feel free to share those too, I'm looking for any advice I can get.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not look for a job in an international school, or primary/secondary school? Int'l schools generally want to see 2 years experience on top of your qualifications, but that isn't set in stone. A variety of subjects are taught in English, not just EFL.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Mbarbetta1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice! yes I've considered international schools but to get that experience I think the best idea is to try my hand at the private schools, get the experience, then go for it! Every international school I've looked at has the "two year" rule on their websites. I've only come across a few international schools in my searches. Do you have any advice on how I'd go about "finding" them? I'm still new to the whole job searching so any advice would be great!
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Job fairs in the US, Canada, and elsewhere are the best spot for international schools but like you say, they generally look for the experience first, especially if they are abroad recruiting in person.

Chile isn't a huge country by population so you're starting out with a small pool of schools, and there is a lot of competition for jobs at that level. You'd have an easier time finding the lesser known schools by searching in Spanish, or by being in Chile looking.

Sorry, I know that isn't very helpful...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Dia

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work at a private school, and I am very positive that (at least at this one) they wouldnt mind whatsoever if you have a TEFL certificate if you are already a certified teacher in the US and a native speaker. a tefl certificate is nothing compared to a full degree and actual classroom experience. however, i might expect some people to question whether you know how to explain the english language well to non-native speakers, for example understanding the rules of grammar, etc.

my advice about chile is to apply anyway even if you don;t meet every single requirement.... since many english teaches are foreign, people come and go sometimes, even at last minute. i have many times heard of very good schools urgently needing teachers and willing to take just about anyone. which i would definitely bring up in your interview that you did not meet a specific requirement, they may be able to relax on certain things that were listed for an ideal applicant.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried international school job fairs? Or TES? IBO might be good if you're looking for lists of schools.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Chile All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: