Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Food
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Philippines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BBQchips

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmm i also love balut. anyone who is hating on the duck(or chicken if you insist) fetus are missing out. man i really miss filipino food right now
Captain_Fil

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: re: durian Reply with quote

tatsuo1 wrote:

Halo halo in manila of course! Isn't the best? But seriously, nothing beats lechon baboy. That crispy outer skin. the soft, succulent meat roasted over a slow charcoal grill flame. Not exactly healthy, but then it is pork.... hahahaha

Lechon baboy may be tasty. But it looks ugly.

Those lips, those eyes...

Shocked
El Chupacabra

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: food Reply with quote

Captain_Fil wrote:
When I was in the Philippines last year, I ate at some really nice restaurants.

At Gerrys Grill in SM City Clark, a dinner for five (including drinks and desert) cost around $45 or 2000 pesos.

At the floating restaurant called Isdaan in Gerona, Tarlac, a dinner for six (with drinks and desert, of course) cost about $45 or 2100 pesos.

I, in my generosity, paid for these dinners.

You paid way too much, and still got a bargain. I'd love to try a floating restaurant myself.

Look for some of the family-owned restaurants and you can really stretch your pesos. My last "splurge" was for 7 for just shy of 1000 pesos. And if you don't mind chains, you can probably feed the same amount for about 600 pesos at Mag-Iinasal.

Have you tried any of the "Kamayan" restaurants in Maynila? They are really nice, and about in the range you spent. Bottom line is that if you're a foodie on a teacher's baon, you can really taste heaven in the R.P.

Someone mentioned lechon? One of my favorite things is lechon/manok from roadside stands. They usually sell you a lump of rice in wax paper to complement the barbecue. Masarap!
Captain_Fil

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: food Reply with quote

El Chupacabra wrote:
Captain_Fil wrote:
When I was in the Philippines last year, I ate at some really nice restaurants.

At Gerrys Grill in SM City Clark, a dinner for five (including drinks and desert) cost around $45 or 2000 pesos.

At the floating restaurant called Isdaan in Gerona, Tarlac, a dinner for six (with drinks and desert, of course) cost about $45 or 2100 pesos.

I, in my generosity, paid for these dinners.

You paid way too much, and still got a bargain. I'd love to try a floating restaurant myself.

Look for some of the family-owned restaurants and you can really stretch your pesos. My last "splurge" was for 7 for just shy of 1000 pesos. And if you don't mind chains, you can probably feed the same amount for about 600 pesos at Mag-Iinasal.

Have you tried any of the "Kamayan" restaurants in Maynila? They are really nice, and about in the range you spent. Bottom line is that if you're a foodie on a teacher's baon, you can really taste heaven in the R.P.

Thanks for the tip. But I have no regrets.

Have you been to Baguio? The next time you go there, stop and enjoy Isdaan the floating restaurant in Gerona, Tarlac. It's just halfway to Baguio.

Happily, I discovered a Gerrys Grill restaurant in Union City, California. I'm so happy.

Very Happy
tttompatz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, do I feel ripped (as in happy)!!

Dinner for 35 for p5000 at the Chinese restaurant in Marina mall (Cebu) - table service and not buffet.

Dinner for 8 (including drinks) in Tagbilaran for p1200.

Lechon manok for p160/bird (1.2kg) in Talibon, Bohol.

Captain_Fil

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:59 am    Post subject: Re: re: durian Reply with quote

tatsuo1 wrote:
Captain_Fil wrote:
tatsuo1 wrote:
@Fil what makes you think I haven't tried it?

I'm sure you have. And more than once, I guess.

But have you tried halo-halo Pampanga-style?

Masarap!

Mr. Green

Halo halo in manila of course! Isn't the best?

No. I'm not talking about halo-halo in Pampanga.

I'm talking about a special kind of halo-halo offered by Razon's restaurant.

It looks like liquid leche flan. And it tastes like heaven.

http://www.razonsofguagua.com/store-location/

I had the privilege of enjoying one last year at Ayala Land Technohub in Quezon City.

Mucho masarap!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
tatsuo1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:09 am    Post subject: halo halo Reply with quote

Sorry fil, I fail to see your logic. But liquid leche flan?
Captain_Fil

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: halo halo Reply with quote

tatsuo1 wrote:
Sorry fil, I fail to see your logic. But liquid leche flan?

It's just a metaphor.

And it's a most delicious one!

Cool
justanuglypinoyteacher

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are so many Filipino food that are original. problem is, Filipino restaurants are not being patronized by Filipinos themselves and so, they don't thrive internationally. Filipinos can easily adopt to any food which makes us not picky when it comes to "eats".

Food i missed when abroad was:
Kare-kare, Crispy pata, Caldereta, Mechado, Afritada, Arrozcaldo, Champorado, Embutido, Rebusado, Calamares, Ginataang Manok with bamboo sprouts, Bopis, Bulalo, Lengua, Sisig, Chicken Inasal, Daing na Bangus with Atchara, Estofado, Pakbet, Kilawing dilis at talaba, Tokwa't baboy, Lumpiang ubod ng niyog, okoy, maruya, matamis na saging, sago at gulaman, turon, etc....ang dami.

I now have canteens in the Philippines (among other things) from the money i saved teaching English.
Captain_Fil

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justanuglypinoyteacher wrote:
I now have canteens in the Philippines (among other things) from the money i saved teaching English.

I would like to visit your canteens in the Philippines someday.

Are they well-known restaurants or cafes? And where?

Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Philippines All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: