Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Got an interview with Amity.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gus3

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:43 am    Post subject: Got an interview with Amity. Reply with quote

I recently applied for a job at Amity and was asked to attend a group interview in a couple of weeks. As it turns out I attended a group interview for Aeon just last month, but didn't get a second interview.

I already know that they are both owned by the same company. And I'm familiar with the differences between the two, Amity being geared more towards younger students. What I want to know is how similar are the interviews? Does Amity's include the same 20 minute grammar quiz/questionnaire?

Any advice that will help me advance to the second interview would be greatly appreciated.
Glenski

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it really matter about any of this? I mean, an interview is an interview. You prepare for it by knowing something about the company and how to answer potential questions about yourself. It should not matter if you deal with one section/branch of a company vs. the other. Teaching is teaching.

As for the demo, again, be prepared for it regardless. You're likely going to run into it with other employers anyway.

Grammar test. Most places don't ask for it, but for those that do, you know it or you don't.
CarolinaBen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were you, I would teach a high energy lesson that is loud and fun(Genki!). Keep the lesson very simple. Be sure to smile a lot. Appear to be having fun.

The recruiters are very very very cold. Don't expect them to be friendly.

They invited half of the recruits from session 1 back for a personal interview. Most of the lessons I observed were horrid. Be sure to practice the lesson with family or friends before you go. If the lesson isn't working, change it up.

It seems like it helps to be very young. I stayed in touch with a handful of other teachers I met at the session, and the teachers they took were all fresh out of college and 21-23. There were 50 candidates at the first recruiting session and I estimated that they offered 5 teachers jobs.

If you are traveling a long distance or spending a lot of money, you might ask yourself if a 10% success rate is worth the financial risk. I made it to the 2nd interview, but did not get the job. The trip cost me close to $500.

They do give a grammar test, but like Glenski says you either know it or you don't. If you can't pass a simple grammar test, you really have no business teaching English. Therefore, I would not worry about it.

I would recommend signing up for GaijinPot jobmail, and looking at offers from smaller schools that offer Skype interviews.
Gus3

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The grammar section of the questionnaire was easy enough. My problem was with the time constraint. I ended up leaving one of the questions blank because I ran out of time.
Ketchup19

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Got an interview with Amity. Reply with quote

Gus3 wrote:
I recently applied for a job at Amity and was asked to attend a group interview in a couple of weeks. As it turns out I attended a group interview for Aeon just last month, but didn't get a second interview.

I already know that they are both owned by the same company. And I'm familiar with the differences between the two, Amity being geared more towards younger students. What I want to know is how similar are the interviews? Does Amity's include the same 20 minute grammar quiz/questionnaire?

Any advice that will help me advance to the second interview would be greatly appreciated.

I went through the same thing with Aeon and then I had an interview with Amity a few weeks later. This time I was invited back for a personal interview. Unfortunately, I didn't get the job Sad

Anyways, Amity's grammar quiz is much easier than Aeon's. As for your lesson, I'd recommend using pictures and having your "students" get up and move around. Have them do most of the talking, make your lesson fun, smile alot and be energetic!
Emery81

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@CarolinaBen - I don't think age has anything to do with it. I was over 30 years old when I applied and I got hired. Just food for thought.
Gus3

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first interview went well. I've got my second interview on Monday. So, what can I expect from the second interview? Is there anything I can do to prepare?
Glenski

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of info around if you do a search.

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=87944&highlight=amity+aeon+interview

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=87791&highlight=amity+aeon+interview

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=79687&highlight=amity+aeon+interview

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=87142&highlight=amity+aeon+interview

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=85773&highlight=amity+aeon+interview

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=83009&highlight=amity+aeon+interview

Even if the info is not there, or if it is AEON not Amity, you can contact the people who have had the experience and posted on these threads.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: