Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching in Sudan.....Good / Bad place to move to ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
microbabe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:35 pm    Post subject: Teaching in Sudan.....Good / Bad place to move to ? Reply with quote

Hi,
I`ve seen a few posts which have been helpful, but would like more info.
My husband and I have an chance to work in Khartoum, we are in Portugal at the moment and are British Citizens.

Some questions.....

Are bank accounts difficult to open ?
How difficult is it to adjust to a Muslim country ?
I am vegetarian would that be a problem ?
Does it cost a lot for the jabs in the UK ?
I have seen tourist visas but not working visas for the country ?
How long did it take to move ,visas, jabs, getting contract ?
Why did you choose Sudan....money or experience ?
Think that is it for now, many thanks.
Smile
jai123

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:20 am    Post subject: Re; Teaching in Sudan Reply with quote

Hi microbabe,
I've been in Khartoum for 2 months. I moved here to join my husband. It hasn't been that easy to find teaching jobs that pay good salaries-most of them pay 2000sdp which is the equivalent of $500 I think. Your best bet is to try and get a job in Kics or KAS or Unity High School, before you get here. Although Unity High School only accepts applications from teachers with a PGCE certificate.

Life is expensive here. Rent can cost around $1000 per month. Although I've heard that the rent has gone down, as most of the expats working in the UN have left to Juba. Local food is relatively cheap, if you eat in local restaurants such as Amwaj. Places like Solitate attract a lot of expats and London prices. I've heard that private clinics are expensive-not sure about jabs-as I had mine done for free before I came here. Maybe you could try and get health insurance via your husband's company.
Bank accounts aren't difficult to open. But there maybe a problem with transferring dollars abroad.
Being a vegetarian shouldn't be a problem as you can buy lentils and pulses over here, such as foul (broad beans I think) which make a tasty morning breakfast. The local markets have lots of vegetables and fruit. I don't think you will be able to get soya over here, but I may be wrong, as the chinese supermarkets in Riyad ( I think) may sell soya and tofu -but they would be very expensive.
Not sure about the visas. I guess one of the expats over here could answer that.
If you do come to Khartoum, be prepared to wear long sleeved clothes and skirts and sun block, as it is really hot. Also try and get loads of books or DVDs as entertainment is nil over here - with the exception of eating out or going to the Pickwick club (bar) in the British Embassy-there isn't much to do. Good luck.
microbabe

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info , it was useful. Are you settling in OK? We are still looking at moving.......trying to sort things out....... So hopefully it will fall into place.

Smile
wilco

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get your CV to Unity High School ASAP! We are short of a good English teacher to start next week.

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: