Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Comprehensive list of schools in Berlin?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Piper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 3:00 am    Post subject: Comprehensive list of schools in Berlin? Reply with quote

Is there a comprehensive list of schools in Berlin that can be found on the internet? I'm not in Germany at present, but would like to get started contacting schools. I didn't see anything on the eltabb.com website. Also, what is the going rate for teachers there? Thanks,
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 11:09 am    Post subject: cooperation Reply with quote

So no one has given any leads. To me this confirms
1. There are not many jobs in Germany
2. Those freelancing in Germany will not cooperate for fear of giving you (ie the competition) an edge.

Believe me jobs in Germany are few and far between.

I would LOVE to work in Germany. I am qualified. I have British nationality so have the right to work in another EU State. I have tons of experience. I speak and write good German, but............

Basically there are few jobs and most of the jobs on the market pay poor wages.

Last edited by scot47 on Wed Apr 23, 2003 5:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
MoggIntellect

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally speaking I got/ am getting into this field simply as a way to live in Germany. This was my goal and reason for getting into teaching English. But after reading a lot of various things (posts, job adverts, etc) I am finding that I am probably never going to see this realized. My undergrad degree is in German, and I love Germany, but it seems to be nearly impossible to ever live there. So I say screw it... if the Germans do not want us then why should we bust our butts to get a "sub-optimal" posiiton. There are plenty of other countries that welcome North Americans with open arms.

There my frustrated rant is over. Mad
Piper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess so! Rolling Eyes Oh well.

I'm finally getting an E.U. passport now, so I may just bag 10 years of ESL all together and do corporate training, as now I'll be able to work anywhere legally. It may not be worth the hassle. I just thought I could pick up some work while I was looking around. Thanks anyway!
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 6:13 am    Post subject: germany Reply with quote

Germany currently has nearly 4 million registered unemployed. It is not easy to get a job in any field. You need to have something very special and have a great deal of luck as well as perseverance.

Corporate Training ? Doing what ? What can you do that they can't find a local to do ? Why SHOULD they employ you ? You have to think that through if you are serious and want to sell yourself to a German "Chef" (ie "boss" not "cook" !!)
M.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 8:35 am    Post subject: Berlin Schools Reply with quote

Hi,

I have been working in Berin since. September. I came a wee bit late as most of the schools had already hired their full time free-lance contract teachers. I have had better luck in the last six months. You can find good money in East Germany but you have to look for it. And it is cheap to live in. I pay 200 euros a month for my flat. below is a page on the web that lists about 15 to 20 schools in Berlin.

www.berlin2000.de/sprache/

good luck
Piper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the list!
Hod

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 9:13 pm    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

Scot47 has a family so teaching in Germany wouldn�t pay nearly enough for him. Saying that, if you�re single the money should be enough to have a reasonable lifestyle and save a small amount.

Why restrict yourself to Berlin? There are loads of jobs all over Germany, in other cheaper cities too.

I�m a part-time teacher and am paid a freelance rate of 25-30 euros per hour (45 minutes in Germany). Despite what you may read, this rate is amongst the highest in Germany. Some jobs recently advertised have paid as little as 13 euros. It all depends where you end up but aim for at least 18 euros per hour and an absolute minimum of 1600 per month NET.

I can�t stress this highly enough: Be wary of all schools� promises. I heard a sad story about a UK-based teacher offered a freelance position in northern Germany. She flew over only to be told soon after that there was insufficient work. She was asked to leave. That was supposedly a world-class school. You can make enquiries but can�t possibly look for work from hundreds or thousands of miles away, get over to Germany and speak to schools face to face.

200 euros for an apartment is the cheapest I�ve ever heard. If you can get that, good luck. I pay 380 a month.

Looking back that all sounds a bit negative, it�s certainly not meant to be. Feel free to ask any other questions. Germany-based teachers are usually helpful and definitely not afraid of �giving you (ie the competition) an edge�. Surprised
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 4:51 am    Post subject: germany Reply with quote

Hod is right. For me supporting dependants, Germany is not an option.
For others who can go to Germany, try one of the bigger places in the "Neue Bundeslaender" ie the former GDR. Magdeburg, Leipzig, Rostock. Or smaller places like Neubrandenburg. And he is right that it is better to go there which means you will need a grubstake. And that means organising things for yourself. How good is your German ?
Piper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My best friend lives in Berlin, so I would already have a social network, which is important for me. I need a scene, so smaller towns don't do it for me right now. My German is fine; not the strongest of my languages, but enough to get by, and fluency would be just around the corner (I learned Dutch in one month). Anyway, I don't teach using translation, even at the beginning levels, so that wouldn't matter. We'll see. Thanks for the info.
scot47

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 4:35 am    Post subject: german Reply with quote

Well good luck in Berlin, The Gay Capital of Europe. I asked about German not so much for classroom use, but for everything else. In daily life in Germany you really need to have reasonable German, unless you are prepared to have a very restricted life !

I would like to spend a year or two in Germany but I have dependants and they expect to eat on a regular basis.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: