Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What You Bring Home

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:22 am    Post subject: What You Bring Home Reply with quote

We're off-topic so I thought this works here...

What do you bring home with you from Mexico besides what's in the carry-on from duty free?

When I go back, I bring back a bit of formality that I didn't know before coming here. I hand out more 'good morning/afternoon/evenings' than I did before.

I'm more patient with people. Everything is much more ordered at home anyway but I'm much less in a rush to get things done at the post office, the corner store, the government office line.

I'm more chivalrous (or chauvinistic if you prefer). It's become automatic to stop and hold a door open for a woman or to let her pass before me somewhere on the street.

I will pester more...if I ask someone I don't know a question, I'll dig for more info even if I got the answer I needed from the outset.

I make personal inquiries I probably shouldn't...how's the family, your wife, your dog, for example, of people I just meet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: What You Bring Home Reply with quote

Since my home in the US is in a Mexican neighborhood, I don�t make much of a change in some of the things you mentioned, but I usually take food items that cost way more - various chiles, green mole powder, dried shrimp, ground shrimp, piloncillo - so I can attempt to make more or less the same kind of food I make here. It doesn�t taste the same exactly.

And I definitely ask people about their family more than most people, and am more formal than most people, but as a result don�t care for informality from people I don�t know, or in business situations.
Tretyakovskii

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: Acculturation Reply with quote

Brilliant, Guy. It�s fun to reflect on how living here is changing us, in ways we may not even recognize, except by contrast!

My wife and I were watching a made in USA movie the other day and when a scene appeared from a boxing match in Mexico, with the sights and sounds of Mexico, we both felt a thrill of recognition of �home�.

More recently, we travelled in three cities in the US, and felt it necessary to go to Mexican restaurants in each one.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When outside of Mexico, I can't resist going to Mexican restaurants. Harder to find in Canada than in the US though.

I think I get a smug satisfaction out of being disappointed at the lack of authenticity of the food, safe in the assurance than when I get home to Mexico I'll get the real stuff. It's not a healthy thing to do, I know, but a secret joy nonetheless.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Acculturation Reply with quote

Tretyakovskii wrote:
Brilliant, Guy. It�s fun to reflect on how living here is changing us, in ways we may not even recognize, except by contrast!

My wife and I were watching a made in USA movie the other day and when a scene appeared from a boxing match in Mexico, with the sights and sounds of Mexico, we both felt a thrill of recognition of �home�.

More recently, we travelled in three cities in the US, and felt it necessary to go to Mexican restaurants in each one.

Are you no longer living in Mexico?

later edit: your post made me think you left, then I read it again and now I think you're still here. Sorry, brain fart.

Last edited by Guy Courchesne on Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
the peanut gallery

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thread! On the positive side I bring home the cheek kiss and the opening of car doors for women. I also make a point of mocking people who purchase Olde El Paso brand tortillas. A far more sinister custom i bring back is the laying on the car horn if someone doesn't immediately launch off from the intersection when the light turns green.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:

I think I get a smug satisfaction out of being disappointed at the lack of authenticity of the food, safe in the assurance than when I get home to Mexico I'll get the real stuff. It's not a healthy thing to do, I know, but a secret joy nonetheless.

Me too! And even when I make it myself it still doesn�t taste the same.
MotherF

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't quiet wrap my head around this thread because Mexico has become home for me. So what I bring home, well, from where?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: