Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IELTS Examiner pay in Christchurch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sainthood

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:33 am    Post subject: IELTS Examiner pay in Christchurch Reply with quote

Hi all.

I would like to head down to CC next year, and would like to know what sort of pay examiners get.

Also, should anyone also know, what the general pay in either of the 2 unis is, and tutoring as an "IELTS preparation" gig.

FTR, I'm an Aussie, currently working in China, with master's degree and CELTA.

Thanks!
artemisia

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't answer that sorry as I don't know their current rates. I'd suggest contacting Canterbury uni Bridging programme or Lincoln uni (which is outside Chch) to ask them directly.

I take it you're aware of the situation in Chch these days post severe aftershocks? The damaged parts of the city have now been divided into "red", "orange" and "green" zones. Red's for houses and buildings that can't be rebuilt, orange for those that probably can't be and green is supposedly for the damaged ones that can. It looks like a fair part of Chch will declared permanently uninhabitable - sections of or whole suburbs will be abandoned. They may be turned into parklands in the future but whatever way you look at it, life there is far from good right now. The city will never be the same again and it will take years to recover. This has all had a huge impact on international students (not just ESOL) many of whom have left for elsewhere in NZ or Australia. It's had or will have a knock on effect in terms of accommodation as well as studies.

The greatest impact is likely to be on the numbers that now won't be going there to study. The situation with transferring students (domestic and international) is supposed to be temporary, but it's not known how many will return. I've heard the universities and the polytechnic are back up and running but don't see how many of the language schools could be. Many were the centre of Chch and the central city is now a fenced off disaster zone and will be for a long time to come. No one's allowed in there, especially with the continuing sizeable aftershocks.

As much as I liked this small city when I was there, it's not a place I'd be heading to but perhaps you have other reasons for going there. Even if you do know all this, others interested in going to Chch might not. Anyway, it doesn't mean there won't be any work but I think it's a fair guess a lot of teachers there will be competing for less work than before.
sainthood

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads-up on that, Artemesia.

You're right, some of that I didn't know!

But you're also right with your guess - I do have other reasons for being there, and thus, it won't make a lot of difference... except maybe to teach or examine in a different city, but be based in CC.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: