Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Good positions with on campus MATESOL?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hewachter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:44 am    Post subject: Good positions with on campus MATESOL? Reply with quote

Hi there. I am a fairly experienced ESL teacher about to start a TESOL Masters on campus here in the States. I have taught 3 years in Korean hagwons, mostly with kids but some adult classes, taught adults 3 months in a Palestinian Refugee Camp {Jenin}, and am currently tutoring Saudi adults at a private language center here in Austin, Texas 20 hours a week. I have a Bachelors in International Politics from a U.S. university.
My plan is to get the TESOL Masters and head for the Middle East, most likely Saudi or Oman, as I need to acquire some significant savings. I am open to any country there, but do need to focus on savings. I have a very strong interest in the region and am also aiming to make good money and move up the ESL ladder. I should add that I'm a pretty thick-skinned guy with alot of travels and life experiences under my belt. I'm in my mid- thirties.
Reading these forums in great detail over the last few years, I am basically aware of the general picture they present. What I'm wondering is, if I get the Masters, are there ANY good jobs over there? I'm very willing to work my way up he ladder after attaining my MATESOL, but want to be sure its leading somewhere.
Many of the posts on here are rather negative and so many people seem to feel ripped off and degraded in their jobs. Is anyone getting treated professionally over there, feeling secure in their jobs and lives there in return for working hard and doing a good job? The Masters is a big investment of time and money, and I feel a bit nervous that even with it I may be treated shabbily or be no better off than I would be with a CELTA. If I do things the right way, attain the Masters and work hard in my future position, can I expect decent positions and some degree of professionalism? Also, in Saudi, Kuwait or Qatar, could one realistically expect to save $25,000 U.S. a year if living fairly humbly? Your thoughts are much appreciated, truly. This is a huge decision and I'm not getting any younger. Thanks!
PS I am posting this on a few forums, hope thats OK!
Grendal

Location: Lurking in the depths of the Faisaliah Tower underground parking.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is anyone getting treated professionally over there, feeling secure in their jobs and lives there in return for working hard and doing a good job?

Define professionally, secure and lives. Don't look for too much of it here in Saudi but I suppose in Qatar or the UAE you might get more of it since the expat/homie ratios per capita in those countries are higher.

Grendal
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: