Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Honduras
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thesteve

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow you are lucky, I have been trying to find a job exactly like this. They need anyone else?
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thesteve wrote:
Wow you are lucky, I have been trying to find a job exactly like this. They need anyone else?

I'd be willing to bet that if they don't now, they probably would in a year. Why not PM the OP and ask?
sdg05003

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short answer: yes they do have openings.
It is a Christian k-12 school.
pm for more details if interested.
CoolGuy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I'm going to flag this topic (I need 5 posts before I can PM you, what the heck!)

I'll PM you in a little bit. Very Happy
DOMO

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:32 pm    Post subject: I've also just been offered a job in Honduras Reply with quote

I've just been offered a job with visa and documentations/sponsorship from a school in Honduras, Central America (Santa Maria). They seem really sweet, as I believe they actually have the lowest per capita income of all of Central America. They're government seemingly deprives them. But the visa into itself pleases me, knowing I don't have pull teeth.
They're offering $500 USD a month plus an $80 apartment stipend starting in late August with a one year contract. The cost of living is very low, and since all my bills are paid, I believe I should just ride out this awful recession in the States.
Anybody have any input/advice/recommendations?
bellanelli

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: I've also just been offered a job in Honduras Reply with quote

DOMO wrote:
I've just been offered a job with visa and documentations/sponsorship from a school in Honduras, Central America (Santa Maria). They seem really sweet, as I believe they actually have the lowest per capita income of all of Central America. They're government seemingly deprives them. But the visa into itself pleases me, knowing I don't have pull teeth.
They're offering $500 USD a month plus an $80 apartment stipend starting in late August with a one year contract. The cost of living is very low, and since all my bills are paid, I believe I should just ride out this awful recession in the States.
Anybody have any input/advice/recommendations?

I was teaching in Honduras up until June and I had a challenging but fulfilling experience. I taught at a school in Comayagua, which is about 7 hours from where you�ll be teaching. I haven�t been to Santa Rosa but I traveled to Copan which is close by. The offer you have from the school is what most private schools pay. The salary should allow you to live comfortably and travel every once in a while, depending on your lifestyle. I was a missionary and I survived on about half of that so you don�t need to worry. One thing I can recommend is to have a lot of patience. The children tend to be a little spoiled in private schools so you may have challenge where that is concerned. They can be monsters in the classroom but once school is over they are angels. Honduras is always in need of teachers and I would recommend anyone who is interested to give it a shot. I got an offer from that school as well as two others but I have my hopes set on China and I haven�t decided what to do yet. Feel free to ask me any questions and if anyone would like some information on other schools, let me know.
maria1001

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bellanelli
Your post is very informative. I'm on my way to My Little Red Bilingual School in Ocotepeque - Sept 4 start. I'll be volunteering there for between 4 to 6 months. What I was wondering is what schools do you know of that pay teachers? I understand the pay will be low. A list would be helpful as a starting point for whom to contact. I just finished a year teaching in Chile and I taught for 2 years in South Korea and a year in China. My Spanish is low intermediate. Thanks alot! Very Happy
bellanelli

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maria1001 wrote:
Hi Bellanelli
Your post is very informative. I'm on my way to My Little Red Bilingual School in Ocotepeque - Sept 4 start. I'll be volunteering there for between 4 to 6 months. What I was wondering is what schools do you know of that pay teachers? I understand the pay will be low. A list would be helpful as a starting point for whom to contact. I just finished a year teaching in Chile and I taught for 2 years in South Korea and a year in China. My Spanish is low intermediate. Thanks alot! Very Happy

Hi Maria,

I'd be happy to provide you with some info. I dont have enough posts for a private message so send me an email at [email protected]
maria1001

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks bellanellie - will do. I tried to send you a pm, but apparently you need a minimum number of posts to receive pm's as well. Very Happy
acrosstheuniverse

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:03 pm    Post subject: Arts for Humanity - Honduras Reply with quote

http://www.artforhumanity.org/the-leadership-center/

Has anyone done anything through this organization? Or heard anything about the program offered? I'm considering doing something teaching January, and I would appreciate any advice anyone has to offer.

Thanks
brian1972

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived in Gracias Honduras for a year with my husband and two kids. Honduras is a lovely place to live if you like a quiet laid back lifestyle. The people are wonderful... you will find them to be very friendly and at times, inquisitive of your presence. El Progreso is bigger than where I lived and you should be able to find much of what you need there. However, I do recommend you bring bug spray, tampons and any other personal items you may want. My big suggestion is to bring food mixes and spices. Sometimes you just want a taste from home! Fruit in Honduras is WONDERFUL, just be sure you wash/sanitize it well before eating.

Other advice would be to be prepared for third world living. It was not unusual to be out of water for several days and power as well. In our area, power went out on a daily basis during certian times of the year. We washed our clothes mostly by hand... although there was one woman who washed clothes in town, it was costly so it was a treat for us. Be prepared to see real poverty, Honduras is a very poor country. Some homes do not have running water or electricity and children go barefoot and in rags. Use the opportunity to do a bit more than teach, for example, I befriended a family who lived in a mud home. I would buy them groceries on occasion as they were a family of 6 in a one room building.

If you have student loans, you can get them defered for financial hardship since you will be making so little.

Expect cultural differences. At times, our working situation was a challenge. This was the only negative of living in Honduras.

Honduras is HOT. Be prepared for hot, hummid weather! It can get a little chilly in the winter months though, be sure to have a sweatshirt and pants as well.

Lastly, enjoy your experience there. There are times I wish I still lived in a sleepy little Honduras town.

Good luck.
sdg05003

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My school has an immediate opening for a biology teacher. same benefits listed earlier in thread. PM me for more details. (Im not an administrator- but i can answer questions and get you in contact with them)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: