Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Firs time jobs in Europe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shroob

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:03 pm    Post subject: Firs time jobs in Europe Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I am a British citizen who is due to start a 4 week CELTA course in July. I have a few questions with regards to teaching in Europe, that is providing all goes well and I pass the CELTA course!

My qualifications relevant to teaching will be:
    CELTA
    1st Class degree with honours
    Some English teaching experience (in a volunteer capasity for a few weeks) - not much I know.

My first question is when should I start applying for vacancies? Would it be inappropriate to send out CV's now saying I have my CELTA?

Also, have I missed the 'summer school' vacancies? My course finishes at the end of July, meaning the earliest I can start would be August. Ideally I would like to start off with a short term contract - do they exist?

Finally I have some concerns that I will not have enough experience for European schools, most job adverts I've seen require 2 years experience. Is it possible to start a TEFL career in Europe or should I go to Asia for a few years, where experience is less of a requirement?

I have no issue with Asia - its ultimately where I want to end up, however I think a job in Europe would suit me better, allow me to 'settle in' to teaching if you know what I mean.

Thank you for your time and advice,
Sam
General Disarray

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also, have I missed the 'summer school' vacancies? My course finishes at the end of July, meaning the earliest I can start would be August. Ideally I would like to start off with a short term contract - do they exist?

First summer schools for me but from what I gather, July is the busy period, most schools seem to be winding down in August.

I know in Eastern Europe the teachers tell me while they are overworked in June/July due to the full time contracts running up, when August comes a long the workload just disappears.

Quote:

Finally I have some concerns that I will not have enough experience for European schools, most job adverts I've seen require 2 years experience. Is it possible to start a TEFL career in Europe or should I go to Asia for a few years, where experience is less of a requirement?

hmmmm, most job advertisements on the internet for Europe would probably be for higher positions. Most schools in these countries won't need to advertise online. They take teachers on who don't have experience, you just have to nail the demo lesson. There is a good thread n the Czech Republic forum about getting jobs which is a good read for any teacher looking for a job first time.

I work in Hungary and every teacher who stayed for enough hours and were offered more.

You won't be on a lot of money compared to Asian.

It's a busy market which isn't going to be helped over the next couple of decades with the majority of schools placing a huge emphasis on English over German now (can only speak for Hungary). There is work, however you have to be in the country to find the work. You said you are doing your celta abroad? Which country is it may I ask? If you plan to stay in Europe then that would be the best place to launch your career.

Quote:

My first question is when should I start applying for vacancies? Would it be inappropriate to send out CV's now saying I have my CELTA?

First week of CELTA course is fine, get a list of all the local language schools from where you are doing your CELTA course and just e-mail CVs around.

p.s any mistakes or if I rabbited on for a bit and it didn;t make sense, I blame the alcohol, pm me for any more details if you like.

I love the mainland European culture though.
Shroob

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.

I'm doing the CELTA in England (my home city even).

Money isn't really a motive for teaching English (thankfully Laughing ). I'd rather travel and gain 'life experience' than build up a bank account. I've said as long as I recoup what I pay for the CELTA course and have a good time then I'll be happy.

It's getting your foot in the door that seems to be the problem.

With regards to the destination, I've thought of Europe (closer to home, probably within the EU, less of a 'culture shock' and as such might be easier to 'settle in' my first teaching position), however China was also an option. China seems easier to get started, and I've always wanted to go there.

At the moment I'm concentrating on my CELTA course (starts in 2 days!).

Thanks again for your reply,
Sam
General Disarray

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
China seems easier to get started, and I've always wanted to go there.

Definitely!! If I didn't have a friend out here with a spare room I probably would be in Asia somewhere now.

It offers more security in terms of accomodation, flights and a steady job before you land that most of Europe can't offer and I can see why Europe may seem a little daunting in comparison, especially for the first time.

Also the sheer volume of job offers on the internet also make it more of an attractive place to apply for.

Quote:

It's getting your foot in the door that seems to be the problem.

I can only speak for Hungary but for first 2 weeks of applying the replies are a bit slow but after that most teachers I speak to who have just finihsed the CELTA end up turning down hours because they didn't exactly get into this career just to work.

Even if they don't reply to e-mails, theres nothing wrong with phone calls/turning up to schools and handing in the CV. Regardless whether you are going to Europe or not in the end; this thread is very helpful;

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=83736

Quote:

At the moment I'm concentrating on my CELTA course (starts in 2 days!).

Have fun, I really enjoyed the month, felt a bit shown up on my first day of teaching (first up, first lesson) went pretty bad, was made even worse that the next teacher had 13 years of teaching experience!! Can't believe it's over 9 months ago, time flies.....
Shroob

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information, that thread was a good read.

Am I right in thinking you are in Hungary now? Am I also right in thinking that you have taught in Asia? If so may I ask about your 'teaching history' eg. How did you get your first job, where was it, how long did you do it for etc.

Thanks again,
Sam
General Disarray

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm living in England, starting a summer camp job down in Somerset tomorrow for 4 weeks where I'll have enough money to head back in September.

I'm only 22 so haven't had the chance to go to Asia, I went to Budapest on the whim back in September (a friend had a flat for �70 a month rent). Only been qualified for 7 months.

First job, I took the list of schools that international house (company I done CELTA with) had and just sent e-mails. Got about 4 replies of about 16, turned up to the interview, got the demo lessons. It's freelancing in Hungary so most teachers will work for 2/3/4 schools at the same time. One school may only provide you with one lesson a week while another will have 5/6.

I also play on the same football team as a couple of teachers before I took the CELTA and they helped me with contacts.

I'm heading back in September, private students can be a big help in Europe. Stick flyers around the cities, go into universities and talk to students advertising yourself. Putting an advertisement in a Hungarian magazine helped a friend of mine. A friend and I like to drink as well, we naturally will meet a lot of non-native speakers out and about and have got a private student via that way as well.

Never taught in Asia, it was going to be where I was going to go though but this chance came up out of the blue. A friend knew someone from ERAMUS who was doing a Fulbright study (American programme for students) in Budapest.
Shroob

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, sounds good. Wish I had friends in foreign places! Furthest friend I have got is in Scarborough!
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Shroob

You didn't specifically ask about Italy, but just to let you know, most schools here are closed in August. Some places will take you on without CELTA, or with little experience, but nowhere is likely to be hiring until September.

Job security is unlikely. At best, you'll get a contract from, say, Oct to June. Otherwise it'll be more like Hungary, with work cobbled together from a number of schools.

Italy is not cheap. Expect to pay at least �500 per month for a rented room in a shared flat (in Rome) and you'll be lucky to be earning �1000 a month net, leaving not a lot spare for food, utilities, going out, travelling around, etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: