Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2 questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nutriaboy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:51 am    Post subject: 2 questions Reply with quote

Hi:

I just moved to Ho Chi Minh City and have two questions. What types of martial arts are available here? Specifically is there an art that is most strongly associated with Vietnam? I have seen Taekwondo schools but that is all so far. Also, can anyone tell me of a small boutique coffee roaster? Someone who takes high quality beans and roasts them on the premise and sells the beans or grinds them for customers. I am currently drinking the number 3 of a brand I got at Co-op mart. It is not that good and leaves a sour after taste.

Thank you.
I'm With Stupid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vovinam is the only one I've heard of.
deadlift

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vovinam is a local martial art, but from what I've seen it's mostly choreographed or highly stylistic moves, and less about sparring.

Most sports clubs have judo, karate, and/or Aikido, but language may be an issue. RMIT has an Aikido club, run by students, where English will be of a high standard.

There's also the Fight Factory kickboxing/MMA club.
bludevil96

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:54 am    Post subject: Question 1 Reply with quote

There is a kung fu school on Trang Quang Khai St. District 1. near Dinh Tien Hoang St. I see them practice outside everyday as I get home from work. They do it in the front yard of a small Temple. Just look for the ceramic tiger in the front.

Dir: 2 Ba Trung--->Tran Q. Khai. about 50yds on right before Dinh Tien Hoang

Cheers
Beautiful Loser

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen one, but I'd try one of the shops that sell sound equipment, if I were looking.
robfir

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen two shops that have coffee beans and a grinder on display, I've no idea where roasting might have occurred though.

Both are in Phu Nhuan, one is near the river at 12AB Cu Lao, one's 317/6E Phan Xich Long.

I don't know anything about coffee, but hopefully one of those is worth your time! They're very close by each other.
TRH

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: 2 questions Reply with quote

I know what you mean about bad supermarket coffee. My wife who does not drink coffee bought something terrible when I first came to live here but I now drink Bao Minh which is from her hometown. I would guess they are just a roaster because they sure don't grow coffee in the Delta. It is very smooth and somewhat sweet so I can drink it with no sugar (kh�ng đường.) without the aftertaste you mention. Unfortunately I have never seen it sold in HCMC.

My general advice, based on how I used to operate as a corporate manager, is to find a coffee you like by trying different coffee shops then ask them what brand they use. Rarely would any Asian person ask them that as it seems to be something they just don't do, but for you to ask will be OK. We are just uncouth anyway. Embarassed Then just look for that brand in the stores.

Just for fun I did a little internet search for coffee wholesalers/exporters and found a place in Binh Thanh District that seems to sell granite, construction equipment, and coffee. An interesting combination.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: