Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sohar University
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brad

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

When you say 'Advance Pay' what exactly do you mean? Although I can't speak for Sohar - both the Uni's I've worked in in Oman have been ok about advancing a reasonable amount of my salary.
>>>>would "a reasonable amount" be in the neighborhood of 50%?

You don't mention your quals/experience - if you have your MA then I'd suggest heading to the Emirates instead where the money tends to be better and you'll have a larger choice of schools for your kid.
K

9 yrs post M.Ed., 15 yrs+ teaching in schools, colleges & Universities, modest bibliography including national and international publications, etc.
Where are they still hiring in the Emirates for this (coming) year? Thanks.
CB
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad.

It is very late in the hiring season here. There have been comments here on these boards about most of the better places being done hiring for the year. (like UAEU, AUS, HCT, ZU)

The places that are left are naturally the less desirable places. I expect that MLI may still have spaces because most of the people that I know that have been offered positions have declined. Refer to the many threads on the UAE section.

As to advancing salary - I doubt that there is any place that would be foolish enough to advance much more than a month's salary. (Was that your comment added suggesting 50%????) And that would likely only occur after you have been in country for awhile. Banks will often loan money based on your approved contract, but again it usually takes a month or two or three in country before you have your finalized contract in hand. Too many expats in the past have just accumulated money and disappeared.

One possibility is that some of the employers give a furniture allowance. I suppose you could buy only a bare minimum and then you would have the rest to use as you wish. But employers vary greatly in how quickly you receive that money. At one job I had it in the first week and in another, I didn't get it until I had been there for over 3 months. (It took almost as long before I got any salary at all.)

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: