Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Filipino ESL Teachers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Philippines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
loveeatsleep

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:53 pm    Post subject: Filipino ESL Teachers Reply with quote

Hello!

I've noticed that there is still no existing topic about Filipino citizens who are working as ESL Teachers overseas or Filipino Citizens planning to work overseas so i've decided to make one.

I'm currently an advertising practitioner here in Manila and planning to take the CELTA and hopefully teach overseas (Target is EU or Russia etc.) however most ESL job ads require applicants to be from their so called "native speaking" countries (UK, USA, AUS, NZ, Canada and South Africa) and if not most of them require EU passports. This really makes me sad and i can't help but think of my plans and evaluate.

Will Filipino Citizens or passport holders have a chance to get a decent teaching position in countries other than Asia and the Middle East? Ok let's say EU and even Central EU like Moscow etc.? Will it make a difference even if i'm a CELTA holder?

I just don't want to waste my time, effort and get disappointed in the end. Yes English is not my native language but I've spoken it my whole life and the education system here from start to finish is done in English.

So for those who have a story or information related to this or know anyone or anything related that might be of help. Please feel free to speak your mind.

Thank you for reading and have a good day.
bje

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Filipino ESL Teachers Reply with quote

loveeatsleep wrote:

Will Filipino Citizens or passport holders have a chance to get a decent teaching position in countries other than Asia and the Middle East? Ok let's say EU and even Central EU like Moscow etc.? Will it make a difference even if i'm a CELTA holder?

CELTA is an entry-level qualification and may help you to get a job in the Asian region, although at the moment supply outstrips demand in the current economic climate. No chance beyond the Asian region though. Do a few hours of reading around the EU boards and you will see why.
tttompatz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a Bachelors degree in Education or English then there are options for you (outside of the Philippines) for LEGAL work as an ESL or English teacher.

If you have nothing more than a CELTA (or other TESOL cert.) then your chances are slim at best. You will be competing against lots of people who do have degrees as well as certification as a teacher.

Another thing to note is the salary brackets for Pinoy teachers abroad are often less than 1/2 what their "western" counterparts receive and often is little better than what a qualified individual will make in the Philippines.

Another option for you to pursue might be teaching at one of the language institutes that cater to Korean and Japanese students.

loveeatsleep

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Liberal Arts/Humanities major in Communications degree and I've been working for almost 3 years as an Advertising practitioner. I will be getting TESOL Certificate soon and got a high IELTS score. How about i get a teaching experience in some Asian countries first. Will i get a good chance securing a job in Russia or countries nearby even with my Filipino passport?

I already expect that Filipinos will get a lower salary than the so called "native speakers" regardless of their qualities and skills.

If you guys don't mind me asking, where do you guys teach English now and where originally are you from?

Any other tips for me? I'm really determined to do this.

Thank you so much again for taking the time to read and reply. Have a good day!
exu156

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try Thailand but I probably recommend you look elsewhere first for two reasons;

1: There are so many Filipino teachers in Thailand already and personally I think their wages are quite dreadful.

2: Thais are racist. I work with Filipinos and they get discriminated against regularly where I work (its the dark skin thing).

Look around, at the end of the day there are a lot of options out there.
tttompatz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loveeatsleep wrote:
I have a Liberal Arts/Humanities major in Communications degree and I've been working for almost 3 years as an Advertising practitioner. I will be getting TESOL Certificate soon and got a high IELTS score. How about i get a teaching experience in some Asian countries first. Will i get a good chance securing a job in Russia or countries nearby even with my Filipino passport?

I already expect that Filipinos will get a lower salary than the so called "native speakers" regardless of their qualities and skills.

If you guys don't mind me asking, where do you guys teach English now and where originally are you from?

Any other tips for me? I'm really determined to do this.

Thank you so much again for taking the time to read and reply. Have a good day!

Truth is that as a non-native speaker (Filipino passport) and not having a teaching degree (B.Ed) your chances are slim at best.

In most countries you won't/can't get a legal work visa given your qualifications (immigration issue).

Most countries (in Asia) require (for a work visa as a teacher) that:
a) you come from one of the primary English speaking countries and have a degree
b) OR have a teachers degree and home country licensing
c) OR have a degree in English and a teaching certification.
d) OR have a Masters degree in TESOL.

There are some exceptions like Thailand but again they typically require you to have a degree in education and for the most part the pay is no better than in the Philippines.

You might be better off landing a job as a teacher at one of the Korean or Japanese language institutes in Luzon or Cebu. Gain some classroom experience and then look to move on or move up.

I really hate to rain on your parade but the reality is that it is going to be very difficult (bordering on impossible) for you to get a job as an English teacher abroad.

In most countries in the world the immigration service will only allow foreign workers to fill jobs that cannot be filled by citizens of that country. In most countries there are bilingual speakers to teach English. The only way to get around that is the requirement of being a native speaker (which a local citizen is not) and therefore a foreign worker must be employed.

As a non-native speaker most immigration services won't allow you a visa since there are qualified non-native-speaking locals to do the job.

For the record I have taught in Canada, Korea, China, Taiwan and Thailand among others

AND my wife is a Pinay and she also has the same problem that you do and as such she is usually not employable when we are outside the Phils.

Just as an afterthought: I also hold 3 undergraduate degrees (from accredited western universities), 2 masters degrees (including TESOL) and an ABD.

You are facing some tough competition out there.

travelNteach

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are a lot of filipinos working in the Nationalplus or "international" schools in indonesia. they are usually grade teachers... such as first grade... or subject teachers, such as science and MUST have teaching credentials from the philippines. if u are serious about working overseas, it is better if u are a licensed, qualified teacher, who can teach elementary school or a specific subject in junior/senior high schools.

as a non-native speaker, you will be ineligible to work in many countries, including indonesia, as an esl teacher. another factor, why would they hire a filipino when there are indonesias that can speak the language just as well and want to be teachers? the same goes for most asian countries. even in the few countries that are willing to accept non-native speakers, why should they go thru the extra expense and time sorting out visas, housing, etc, when there are plenty of citizens capable of speaking the language well enough to teach but can also converse/explain things in the native language as well. and usually the schools willing to employ non-native speakers are the bottom of the barrel. the better ones will have the budget to hire native speakers.

just so u have an idea, most filipino teacher here make about 800 dollars per month with housing included. i think if u are serious about going overseas, u will have to get re-educated. good luck
Big L

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"so called " native speaking countries... haha . good one!

MIOD EDIT in Thailand may be a place to do some
research. This topic is beat to a pretty good pulp over there.

I have a filipina teacher friend who works in Myanmar
currently. She is doing quite well there, and Phil. nationals
are given preference for hiring in that country. Whether or
not the others mentioned it, gaining some experience
(legitimacy?) would be to your benefit in working in one
of those two countries before moving onward.
justanuglypinoyteacher

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i worked in Vietnam for 4 years. i became a principal of an international school, became a university professor and taught in night classes. i made good money, saved it and invested in business when i came back home. Now i've got my own school, apartment units for rent, stores and canteens in the home country.

i have a degree in educational communications from UP and a masters degree from a local university in Batangas province.

i made 4,000$/ month working in Vietnam. Now i make the same amount here (maybe a bit more)
Captain_Fil

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

justanuglypinoyteacher wrote:
i worked in Vietnam for 4 years. i became a principal of an international school, became a university professor and taught in night classes. i made good money, saved it and invested in business when i came back home. Now i've got my own school, apartment units for rent, stores and canteens in the home country.

i have a degree in educational communications from UP and a masters degree from a local university in Batangas province.

i made 4,000$/ month working in Vietnam. Now i make the same amount here (maybe a bit more)

Maybe I can work in Vietnam someday.

Thanks for your inspirational story of success.

Smile
ShadowKage

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:53 am    Post subject: Filipino ESL Teacher Reply with quote

Man I have been having the worst time trying to find a job.

I have been living here in the US for over 17 years and I am a NY resident.

All of my education diplomas from elementary to college is all from NYC.

I have a TEFL Certificate and a Business English Certificate

For the life of me I still can't find ONE company to hire me overseas because of my passport being from the Philippines.

I have all the credentials and experience but not the right passport. No matter how hard I explain or convince these agencies they just keep saying NO.

THIS SUCKS
Captain_Fil

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Filipino ESL Teacher Reply with quote

ShadowKage wrote:

For the life of me I still can't find ONE company to hire me overseas because of my passport being from the Philippines.

I have all the credentials and experience but not the right passport. No matter how hard I explain or convince these agencies they just keep saying NO.

THIS SUCKS

I don't mean to sound simplistic, but the obvious solution is to get a US passport.

Since you have studied in the US from elementary to college, you seem to have met the residency requirements for US citizenship.

My friend emigrated from the Philippines five years ago. He recently became a US citizen. He now has a beautiful blue passport.

You can do it!

Very Happy
justanuglypinoyteacher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thing is, you just got to be good at what you do. it doesn't matter if you are American or Filipino. I've never set foot in America and it doesn't matter to me. i've interviewed Americans, Brits, Aussies and all those belonging to "native speaking" countries. But i could spot a non-teacher after them openning their mouth for 2 minutes. Most people who doesn't know any better would need to see your documents and other stuff that really doesn't matter if you are looking for qualified, responsible and capable teachers.

i once interviewed an Australian with an inch thick resume, but was the most boring conversationalist - ever. How he expects to teach high school kids who could only understand 50% English is totally beyond me. he was demanding a 20$US salary every hour. He pretended to be a history (US) teacher who didn't know who Lewis and Clark was. He was 6 feet tall, blonde hair and blue eyes - a really good teacher material (if he'd simply stand in front of class and didn't open his mouth).

And there was this guy who claimed to be an Englishman named "Mauricio" - who obviously looked Italian. He then corrected himself and changed it to Maurice.

Even a French guy could teach English. Interviewed one who was Caucasian, with a heavy French accent (Canadian) who was obviously from Quebec. He was really wide-eyed when i guessed where he was from. (they all think we are dumb because we are Filipinos).

They all pretend to be sonething they are not. They all simply capitalize on their race and the money that can be made out of it. Having the looks of a Filipino....well, you'll get discriminated wherever you go. You get paid 5$ US for teaching English, 8$ US for teaching Trigonometry or Calculus, maybe 20$ if you teach Nuclear Physics or something. But even if you come from Austria, France or Romania....you get paid 20$ just to teach English....maybe even become governor of California....lol because they are NATIVE SPEAKERS.
Captain_Fil

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justanuglypinoyteacher wrote:
Having the looks of a Filipino....well, you'll get discriminated wherever you go. You get paid 5$ US for teaching English, 8$ US for teaching Trigonometry or Calculus, maybe 20$ if you teach Nuclear Physics or something. But even if you come from Austria, France or Romania....you get paid 20$ just to teach English....maybe even become governor of California....lol because they are NATIVE SPEAKERS.

Now I'm discouraged. Sad
justanuglypinoyteacher

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain, don't be discouraged. it took me a while to prove that i was better although being better could only set you at par with white folks who had less qualifications. Important thing is, you've got to love your job.

I've got a friend who is a Civil engineer. He's also Filipino. His boss is an American working in Vietnam (who he believes is a carpenter back in the US). Of course they get paid more even if my friend did all the work.

I went into a school with an Australian boy to apply for work. He was a 21 years old highschool graduate. He was 6 feet tall, blonde, blue eyed, pointy nosed. I am 5'6", brown, dark haired and flat nosed but proud with a masters degree. Guess who got the job?

Being Filipino means that we've got to work 10 time harder.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Philippines All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: