Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Filipino ESL Teachers
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Philippines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just stumbled onto this thread. In answer to the OP, Moscow is a possibility. BKC-IH has in the past hired teachers from places like Sri Lanka and the Philippines. Not too sure under what circumstances, i.e. visas etc, but that is an equally vague picture for all foreign workers. Equally, I'm not too sure how local students reacted to teachers from non-native countries. Russians are not noted for their PCness, in or out of the EFL classroom. But at least there is no EU passport barrier!
Captain_Fil

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sashadroogie wrote:
Just stumbled onto this thread. In answer to the OP, Moscow is a possibility. BKC-IH has in the past hired teachers from places like Sri Lanka and the Philippines. Not too sure under what circumstances, i.e. visas etc, but that is an equally vague picture for all foreign workers. Equally, I'm not too sure how local students reacted to teachers from non-native countries. Russians are not noted for their PCness, in or out of the EFL classroom. But at least there is no EU passport barrier!

Is that right, Sasha?

Perhaps someday we will work together in Moscow.

That would be great! Very Happy
Captain_Fil

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justanuglypinoyteacher wrote:
Captain, don't be discouraged. it took me a while to prove that i was better although being better could only set you at par with white folks who had less qualifications. Important thing is, you've got to love your job.

I've got a friend who is a Civil engineer. He's also Filipino. His boss is an American working in Vietnam (who he believes is a carpenter back in the US). Of course they get paid more even if my friend did all the work.

I went into a school with an Australian boy to apply for work. He was a 21 years old highschool graduate. He was 6 feet tall, blonde, blue eyed, pointy nosed. I am 5'6", brown, dark haired and flat nosed but proud with a masters degree. Guess who got the job?

Being Filipino means that we've got to work 10 time harder.

Thanks for the uplift. Now I'm less discouraged.

Smile
wiganer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thing is, you just got to be good at what you do. it doesn't matter if you are American or Filipino. I've never set foot in America and it doesn't matter to me. i've interviewed Americans, Brits, Aussies and all those belonging to "native speaking" countries. But i could spot a non-teacher after them openning their mouth for 2 minutes. Most people who doesn't know any better would need to see your documents and other stuff that really doesn't matter if you are looking for qualified, responsible and capable teachers.

i once interviewed an Australian with an inch thick resume, but was the most boring conversationalist - ever. How he expects to teach high school kids who could only understand 50% English is totally beyond me. he was demanding a 20$US salary every hour. He pretended to be a history (US) teacher who didn't know who Lewis and Clark was. He was 6 feet tall, blonde hair and blue eyes - a really good teacher material (if he'd simply stand in front of class and didn't open his mouth).

And there was this guy who claimed to be an Englishman named "Mauricio" - who obviously looked Italian. He then corrected himself and changed it to Maurice.

Even a French guy could teach English. Interviewed one who was Caucasian, with a heavy French accent (Canadian) who was obviously from Quebec. He was really wide-eyed when i guessed where he was from. (they all think we are dumb because we are Filipinos).

They all pretend to be sonething they are not. They all simply capitalize on their race and the money that can be made out of it. Having the looks of a Filipino....well, you'll get discriminated wherever you go. You get paid 5$ US for teaching English, 8$ US for teaching Trigonometry or Calculus, maybe 20$ if you teach Nuclear Physics or something. But even if you come from Austria, France or Romania....you get paid 20$ just to teach English....maybe even become governor of California....lol because they are NATIVE SPEAKERS.

I have a Spanish first name, a Welsh surname (my father was the first generation of his family to speak English as a first language) and I also look Hispanic but I am a native speaker and qualified to teach the language.

I don't know how you could spot a 'non-teacher' within two minutes, you'll have to explain that one to us.

You are not owed a living. I am a big and broad shouldered and pushing 40 - if I want to work as cabin crew for Emirates - I will be waiting for the bubonic plague to wipe out every pretty boy on this planet before I got an interview. Is it fair? No. Are Emirates missing out on a very good employee? Maybe. Is there anything I can do to change it? I doubt it.

So what if you came across unqualified native speakers? It doesn't matter - unquaified native speakers (as well as yourselves) aren't in the hunt for the big money jobs (usually reserved for qualified native speakers with experience) either thus you are fighting with them for the scraps and yes - you will lose out to them time and time again because you are not what anyone wants - wherever you like nor the fairness of it all doesn't come into the equitation.

I have a BA in linguistics and TEFL from a good university but it wasn't enough to stop me losing out on jobs against little blonde American girls
with degrees in bimbo studies - what did I do? Got more qualifications and it got me out of the two bob jobs that hire solely on whatever fairy tale
criteria they want in a teacher. If you can't do the same then look for another avenue of work.
Captain_Fil

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wiganer wrote:
I have a Spanish first name, a Welsh surname (my father was the first generation of his family to speak English as a first language) and I also look Hispanic but I am a native speaker and qualified to teach the language.

I don't know how you could spot a 'non-teacher' within two minutes, you'll have to explain that one to us.

You are not owed a living. I am a big and broad shouldered and pushing 40 - if I want to work as cabin crew for Emirates - I will be waiting for the bubonic plague to wipe out every pretty boy on this planet before I got an interview. Is it fair? No. Are Emirates missing out on a very good employee? Maybe. Is there anything I can do to change it? I doubt it.

So what if you came across unqualified native speakers? It doesn't matter - unquaified native speakers (as well as yourselves) aren't in the hunt for the big money jobs (usually reserved for qualified native speakers with experience) either thus you are fighting with them for the scraps and yes - you will lose out to them time and time again because you are not what anyone wants - wherever you like nor the fairness of it all doesn't come into the equitation.

I have a BA in linguistics and TEFL from a good university but it wasn't enough to stop me losing out on jobs against little blonde American girls
with degrees in bimbo studies - what did I do? Got more qualifications and it got me out of the two bob jobs that hire solely on whatever fairy tale
criteria they want in a teacher. If you can't do the same then look for another avenue of work.

Interesting...

I have a Latin first name and a German-sounding surname. And I look like Pacquiao (but without his muscles).

Getting a job in ESL is not easy. If European-looking candidates have a better chance than non-Europeans - then that's just the way it is. Those of us without lighter skin (due to accident of birth) will just have to deal with it.

Life is not fair. And it will never be. So be it.

I can handle it.

Cool
justanuglypinoyteacher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I simply work fast. 2 minutes is all i need. i am a school administrator. i don't go abroad anymore. students now come to me. i was just telling what i had to got through. I am not against real teachers. But there are plenty of charlatans out there.
justanuglypinoyteacher

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i fought for scraps...yes. it wasn't big money. i went abroad for experience because i was getting tired of my business in my own country. Now, aside from my apartment buildings, stores and canteens, i built schools. I've got 2 schools now....working on my 3rd.

I have a degree in Educational Communications from the University of the Philippines and have an MA in Educational Administration. I am not a native speaker of English because it is my 4th language.

I can't even consider myself a linguist even if i speak 6 languages. I hired a compatriot while in Vietnam (where i worked as a principal of an international school) who was fluent in French, Spanish, Greek, German, Russian, Vietnamese, Cambodian, Thai and English. He couldn't land a job there because he was so darn ugly.....lol. He could also speak 5 other Filipino languages (ilocano, cebuano, hiligaynon, kapampangan and bicolano aside from tagalog)

Aside from "English", i also teach history and science. But still....i am not qualified to teach your language because i am not a "NATIVE SPEAKER".

je ne parle pas anglais. yo no habla ingles, toi khong thieng an, dili ko kahambal sang ingles, wa ko ka-sulti sag ingles, di ako marunong mag-ingles, i can't speak english. Thats why i can't teach your language....lol.
wiganer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i fought for scraps...yes. it wasn't big money. i went abroad for experience because i was getting tired of my business in my own country. Now, aside from my apartment buildings, stores and canteens, i built schools. I've got 2 schools now....working on my 3rd.

I have a degree in Educational Communications from the University of the Philippines and have an MA in Educational Administration. I am not a native speaker of English because it is my 4th language.

I can't even consider myself a linguist even if i speak 6 languages. I hired a compatriot while in Vietnam (where i worked as a principal of an international school) who was fluent in French, Spanish, Greek, German, Russian, Vietnamese, Cambodian, Thai and English. He couldn't land a job there because he was so darn ugly.....lol. He could also speak 5 other Filipino languages (ilocano, cebuano, hiligaynon, kapampangan and bicolano aside from tagalog)

Aside from "English", i also teach history and science. But still....i am not qualified to teach your language because i am not a "NATIVE SPEAKER".

je ne parle pas anglais. yo no habla ingles, toi khong thieng an, dili ko kahambal sang ingles, wa ko ka-sulti sag ingles, di ako marunong mag-ingles, i can't speak english. Thats why i can't teach your language....lol.

So basically, you don't have any EFL qualifications, nor are you a native speaker.

I speak Spanish to a decent standard but I know that if I was up against a native speaker of Spanish for a Spanish teaching job - I would lose out.

If I wanted to learn Japanese and two equally qualified people - an Irishman and a Japanese native speaker, came to the interview - I know who I would pick.

In some countries (*cough erm the land of the morning calm cough*) you can have all the ESL qualifications at your disposal, only to lose out to some bimbo because she has blonde hair and has not reached 25 yet.

That is life.

Life is not fair.

Deal with it.
Jbhughes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i made 4,000$/ month working in Vietnam. Now i make the same amount here (maybe a bit more)

Wow! That is a serious amount. Do you mind me asking where you earned that much?

toi khong thieng an

It's 'T�i kh�ng thể n�i tiếng Anh.' or, more commonly: 'T�i kh�ng n�i được tiếng Anh'.

People usually say:

'T�i kh�ng biết tiếng Anh.' or sometimes: 'T�i kh�ng biết n�i tiếng Anh.'

I'm interested, do you ever use your Vietnamese language skills now you're back in the Philippines? I'm wondering if knowing Vietnamese could be useful when looking for jobs there.
tatsuo1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:15 am    Post subject: re: Spanish Reply with quote

Yo no hablo ingles, o No hablo ingles.
first is latin american Spanish. second is formal Spanish.
Take your pick!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Philippines All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: