Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

British Council Jobs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scjw

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:41 pm    Post subject: British Council Jobs Reply with quote

Does B.C. hire non UK citizens? I hold a U.S. passport.

Since I am a newbie to ESL work in Africa can I get a heads up if any African countries that will deny me a visa b/c of my American passport?

Thanks
spanglish

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've spoken with various BC hiring managers and they've all said that they would be willing/happy to hire an American. The BC in Khartoum said that as far as they knew, Americans would be able to get work visas there.

You'll probably need a DELTA or equivalent to get an interview.
TwinCentre

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to work for the BC, and the official line was 'you need a British educational background'.

But, in practise, quite a few centres did hire Australians, Canadians, Americans...perhaps with the line....'not enough candidates with a British educational background were available'.

If I remember correctly, the issue with hiring non-Brits as teachers was often that some centres pay you in Britian, and for that you need a National Insurance Number and a British bank account. For non Brits, that can be complicated. The other issue was that in some countries, the BC has arranged special semi-diplomatic status for its teachers, which is only applicable to British citizens under their deal with the authorities.

In Europe, it tends to be very Brit. staffed, elsewhere, more diverse. But, I would say in reality, it is all on a case by case basis - depending on the centre and local conditions.

The BC, to me, seems to be becoming more and more decentralized these days, so perhaps things are opening up more?
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What they say and what they do may be different.

"White man speak with forked tongue." (Especially if they went to Oxbridge and work for the British Council.)
TwinCentre

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
What they say and what they do may be different.

"White man speak with forked tongue." (Especially if they went to Oxbridge and work for the British Council.)

Well, yes, that was my point...they seemed to have an official line, but were reasonably flexible...

Regarding Oxbridge...you gotta be kidding! The BC was full of an entirely different sort...more 'idealistic traveller' perhaps, which I am still one,...they used to have a move you on after 2 years rule...

Still, good times were had...
westbrook1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if being American and having received a master's degree from a university in London equates to a 'British educational background'...
TwinCentre

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westbrook1 wrote:
I wonder if being American and having received a master's degree from a university in London equates to a 'British educational background'...

I don't know. But, I suspect not - guess they want GCSE's, A levels and a Bachelor's degree. I would contact them and ask...
champ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:04 am    Post subject: BC Reply with quote

As long as you have a first degree and CELTA,you are eligible to apply for any jobs advertised by the British council.

In certain countries,the local authorities impose restrictions like Egypt,Bangladesh or Thailand,where only locals or British passport holders can work.

BC does not discriminate,but they have to respect the local laws.Also,they are good employers.They take care of everything,and if you wish to resign,you can do so easily without creating a scene.There won't be any hard feelings.

All in all,you will be in safe hands.
champ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:06 am    Post subject: BC Reply with quote

forgot to add this link to my previous post.

http://www.britishcouncil.org/new/PageFiles/6107/Resignation.pdf
sharter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:43 pm    Post subject: The application form Reply with quote

You need 3 days to fill the application form in. What a load of tosh!!
Soupman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The British Council does indeed hire non Brits.

The application procedure does not require 3 days, more like 1.5, but save those answers someplace, because they can be used again and again for future applications. As an old British Council hand, though, I�m more than a little bemused to see no teaching questions on the application. It�s all about competences in business or entrepreneurship. For a Harvard MBA great, but for English language instruction I fail to see the significance.
TwinCentre

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: BC Reply with quote

champ wrote:
As long as you have a first degree and CELTA,you are eligible to apply for any jobs advertised by the British council.

That's not quite accurate. Everything is centre by centre, position by position. Quite a few jobs require a DELTA minimum, some even require a PGCE....all depends on the job. They certainly do not hire senior teachers with only CELTA
champ

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: BC Reply with quote

[quote="TwinCentre"]
champ wrote:

Sorry.By any jobs I meant English teaching jobs only.
TwinCentre

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: BC Reply with quote

[quote="champ"]
TwinCentre wrote:
champ wrote:

Sorry.By any jobs I meant English teaching jobs only.

Gosh, I must sound like a right nerd...but I'll risk it Smile That is still not correct, teaching jobs in Hong Kong, Japan, Dubai, Singapore and much of Western Europe tend to require a minimum of a DELTA, sometimes they ask for a CELTA, First Degree, DELTA and 2 years post DELTA teaching experience...I know Hong Kong asked for that not so long ago when I applied.

But yes, a lot of teaching jobs, especially in North Africa, South Asia, South Korea and Eastern Europe, ask for CELTA plus two years experience minimum.
champ

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: BC Reply with quote

DELTA is only required when you apply for the position of SENIOR teacher.Degree+CELTA for teachers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: