Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ILA Vietnam - Post Only Here
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skyblue2

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkM wrote:
Anyone here done the DELTA at ILA Vietnam? According to the website, they only offer it to their teachers. So does this mean you have to get a job with them first?

That's what someone there told me. They only offer it to their own employees. Weird. I'm surprised Cambridge stands for this.
toiyeuthitmeo

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last I heard, there was a price increase for those who are not employed there, but it remains an option. Just send an email or give them a call. Also, word on the "hem" is that Apollo also offers a DELTA program. There have been some changes at both schools, as this forum documents, so the details are yours for the finding (and sharing!!)
MarkM

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toiyeuthitmeo wrote:
Last I heard, there was a price increase for those who are not employed there, but it remains an option. Just send an email or give them a call. Also, word on the "hem" is that Apollo also offers a DELTA program. There have been some changes at both schools, as this forum documents, so the details are yours for the finding (and sharing!!)

I have just go an email from ILA confirming that I would have top be an employee by the time the course starts. According to the website, this is because of government regulations .... Confused .

Thanks for the info about Apollo. There isn't anything on their website about DELTA, but I will email them about it.
winthorpe

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I sent a resume and cover letter to ILA, and they rejected me in about a minute.

I have 13 years of U.S. teaching experience, a TEFL, and a recent ESL job in Thailand. Can anyone enlighten me on what they want? Thank you.
MarkM

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

winthorpe wrote:
So, I sent a resume and cover letter to ILA, and they rejected me in about a minute.

I have 13 years of U.S. teaching experience, a TEFL, and a recent ESL job in Thailand. Can anyone enlighten me on what they want? Thank you.

I think a lot of it is to do with timing. If you don't apply when they are looking for someone, your application will be unsuccessful. ILA and Westgate (in Japan) are two of the biggest advertisers on Dave's. And I have read numerous stories about really good candidates being turned down by them.

The next question is why are they advertising when they don't need people. Good question. I think they have standing advertising orders, which they keep going all the time to raise awareness. They know that a lot of the people who see the ad are not actually looking for a job when they see it. They are also able to pick and choose from the stream of applications they get, when they need someone.

That is my take on it anyway Confused .
Kornan DeKobb

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

winthorpe wrote:

They prefer newbies who don't know any better.

Don't worry, though. They did you a favor. There are plenty of jobs.
refugee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know what the salary scales are for teachers at ILA?

I've been offered a job on a pay scale 2 teacher in HCMC, but can only find info for salary scales for senior positions. I've been working in Japan/Thailand/Middle East for several years and got my CELTA/DELTA in Bangkok 3 years ago.

Anyone on different scales who cares to divulge how their experience/qualification relate to their pay at ILA?
VN-Teecha

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

refugee wrote:

I've been offered a job on a pay scale 2 teacher in HCMC, but can only find info for salary scales for senior positions. I've been working in Japan/Thailand/Middle East for several years and got my CELTA/DELTA in Bangkok 3 years ago.

Anyone on different scales who cares to divulge how their experience/qualification relate to their pay at ILA?

I think that's around $18/hour. If you work the bare minimum of 82 hours/month for a full-time contract, your salary will be about $1500 per month before taxes. Most teachers get paid overtime as well.

Also, you'll get one or two raises in your first year.
spanglish

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's pretty miserable pay for somebody with that level of qualifications. You could make quite a bit more than that in Colombia and I thought Vietnam paid better than Latin America.
bingmayong

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a DELTA you should not be scale two, you should automatically be scale six which is just under $30 an hour. I can only guess that someone misread your CV and wasn't clear on your qualifications.
Kornan DeKobb

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VN-Teecha wrote:
refugee wrote:

I think that's around $18/hour. If you work the bare minimum of 82 hours/month for a full-time contract, your salary will be about $1500 per month before taxes.

You can make almost double that. Go elsewhere.
snollygoster

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:54 pm    Post subject: Is that salary real? Reply with quote

Far from the best paid gig in town.
At $18 an hour, lets just say that you better like eating noodles.
Far better pay available, especially with those quals.
I'm With Stupid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, someone's messed up somewhere. It would be strange if they were trying to rip you off, given that as soon as you arrived in the teachers room, there'd be a big piece of paper telling you that DELTA qualified teachers are scale 6 (high-20s per hour, plus the usual signing and completion bonus). I'd contact them and ask them about it. But you should have a decent choice of employers with a DELTA.
_smaug

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked for ILA, HCMC. 2006-2007

I was lucky and got an hourly contract. I was paid for the hours actually I worked: No salary up front -- but no owing ILA hours either, which was a huge advantage in my opinion.

I don't know if the hourly contract is still available. But, if it is, I highly recommend you go for it. At least ask about it. Because if they pay you, but don't fill your schedule right away -- or if you get sick, or need time off -- you owe them hours. Which can be unpleasant.

I knew teachers there who were working seven days a week (evenings, weekends) -- in addition to their early AM classes -- just trying to get out of the hole. Get too far in the hole and they'll withhold your pay. You're a flight risk. So, try to get the hourly contract if you can.

And watch out for the tax situation, too. ILA assumes you're going to work over six months, so they withhold 10%, rather than 30% for people in country under six months. Fall short of that, by even a few hours, and you owe ILA 20% of all the wages they've paid you. Also unpleasant.

Never mind the government says six months in country earns you the lower 10% rate. ILA insists it's hours worked. So forget the calendar and get an accounting of your actual hours before buying a flight out.

Other than that . . .

ILA students are tops, the facilities are amazing, and the resources at your disposal are fantastic. I recommend ILA. But do be careful and know what you're getting into. They'll likely tell you at the interview not to worry about hours, taxes and all that adminstriva. But you actually do need to pay attention.
I'm With Stupid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a part-time contract you're referring to. They still do those, and some people prefer the simplicity of it. Some prefer to have a guaranteed income every month and overtime payments. The only thing I would say is that you're screwing yourself in the long term by signing a part-time contract and then working full-time hours.

And your maths on the tax is massively off, btw. The tax rates work out at about 15% for over 6 months, and 20% for under 6 months (unless they've changed it since I last read it, which I concede is entirely possible with this government). So you would owe them (i.e. the government) roughly 5% of your taxable income for the period, not 5% of your salary. They did warn me about this at my interview, though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: