Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's the Deal?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Philippines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ajarn Miguk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: What's the Deal? Reply with quote

So what is it in the Philippines that whenever you want to buy something whether it be at a 7-11 or a store or restaurant in a major mall, you hear from the cashier the inevitable, "Sir, do you have three (or fill in another number) pesos?"

I've never seen anything like it and it's to the point where I automatically just say, "No!"
beenthere96-2005

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the Deal? Reply with quote

Ajarn Miguk wrote:
So what is it in the Philippines that whenever you want to buy something whether it be at a 7-11 or a store or restaurant in a major mall, you hear from the cashier the inevitable, "Sir, do you have three (or fill in another number) pesos?"

I've never seen anything like it and it's to the point where I automatically just say, "No!"

I believe that stores do not give the register starting cash, and or it is often depleted very quickly throughout the day. You may have read here "go to a store with your larger bill, and buy something cheap," and then you have taxi money or whatever.
Ajarn Miguk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If what you say is true, why then don't the stores, restaurants and other establishments get enough change to conduct business in an efficient manner?

Why continuously inconvenience customers and slow down business operations and commercial transactions across the country when no other country I have ever lived in (including several in Asia) does things this way?

Makes no sense and it starts to wear thin very quickly.
beenthere96-2005

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ajarn Miguk wrote:
If what you say is true, why then don't the stores, restaurants and other establishments get enough change to conduct business in an efficient manner?

Not sure - but it may be that they do not trust their employees with a lot of start up cash at the beginning of the day, or that they do give them a reasonable amount , but so many people give large bills to get change and they can not possibly have an unlimited supply ( after all they are not a bank ) so after a reasonable amount of drawer money is depleted, this situation happens.

So lets say it is the latter - that they do begin the day with a reasonable amount of change and it is depleted very quickly because people don't use banks, and need it for taxis, buses etc?
Ajarn Miguk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why only the Philippines and why virtually at every establishment one visits? I've lived in several different countries over many years (including 5 in Asia) and have never seen anything like this.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ajarn Miguk wrote:
Why only the Philippines and why virtually at every establishment one visits? I've lived in several different countries over many years (including 5 in Asia) and have never seen anything like this.

It�s not just the Phiippines, it�s Mexico too! I have had people refuse to take a 20 peso bill for a 10 peso purchase because they don�t have change!
Ajarn Miguk

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:
Ajarn Miguk wrote:

It�s not just the Phiippines, it�s Mexico too! I have had people refuse to take a 20 peso bill for a 10 peso purchase because they don�t have change!

Everywhere? All over the country? Virtually every single time you make a purchase even in major department stores, malls, government offices, etc.?
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ajarn Miguk wrote:
BadBeagleBad wrote:
Ajarn Miguk wrote:

Everywhere? All over the country? Virtually every single time you make a purchase even in major department stores, malls, government offices, etc.?

It's not that bad in Mexico. In large supermarkets and department stores and the post office, for example, they will accept large bills in payment for purchases without complaining about not having any change.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ajarn Miguk wrote:

Well, I can�t speak for the whole country, but yeah, pretty much everywhere, with the exception of really big stores like Sears, WalMart, but even there they ask a lot of the time. And I was once buying groceries at a big chain and they REFUSED to accept a 500 peso note for a 350 or so peso purchase. They said they didn�t have change. And I don�t know how many times in a restaurant I eat at often, they have to go to other businesses to try and get change. They even have a sign up that says �Please pay with change�. Well, OK, it doesn�t say THAT, that�s an English translation. And, if you go to a BANK to get change, you have to go before noon or they won�t give you change either. So believe me, I feel your pain.
kazpat

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just part of daily life in KZ and identical to what you describe. Shops of all varieties do not have change. I never really get refused a sale but I have had to wait while the clerk runs to other shops to find change. To make life easier I hoard small bills.
beenthere96-2005

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kazpat wrote:
This is just part of daily life in KZ and identical to what you describe. Shops of all varieties do not have change. I never really get refused a sale but I have had to wait while the clerk runs to other shops to find change. To make life easier I hoard small bills.

It just occurred to me that this is part of a cash only society.

It the states, for years most people paid with a check - even if it was $5!

Not we use debit cards for less amounts.

That being said, I never encountered this in Taiwan or Korea or China for that matter.
justanuglypinoyteacher

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have 3 stores and 2 canteens and we always have trouble with coins. it is heavy to carry around and takes alot of space but they are almost worthless. Cash registers have very small space for coins but cashiers try to keep the courtesy of giving you back your exact change no matter how worthless they already are. In some stores, instead of giving you coins, they just give you a candy.
misteradventure

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes, it is due to a shortage of actual coins in circulation. It is more expensive to make coins than to print bills, so many countries don't have enough coins in circulation to make change... your change hasn't made it back into circulation from that other shopper's pocket.

This is true even in Europe and Latin America.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Philippines All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: