Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

diabetes care for USA citizens... an impossible dream?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gwynnie86

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: diabetes care for USA citizens... an impossible dream? Reply with quote

Hey guys, I'll try to break it down.

My boyfriend (USA) and I (UK) plan to move to Prague soon. He has type 1 diabetes. It seems that health insurance for foreigners does not cover pre-existing medical conditions such as diabetes (which is wonderfully lumped in with AIDS and addictions, thanks guys). Is there any way to cover the costs of insulin and other diabetic supplies with insurance there? I was wondering if some kind of travel insurance would work for the first few months, but now I'm finding it really hard to find information of what travel insurance for US citizens actually covers.

So, any idea how much insulin supplies would actually cost there? I have been searching for ages and just can't find anything helpful. We're both getting really down, now, as we were just starting to get excited about moving there.
smithrn1983

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember VZP mentioning pre-existing conditions when I was there, but then again, I wasn't really interested in that bit. Also, you might still be able to get insurance through Uniqa since you're not Czech citizens.
mr tree

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't have much information, i just knew a friend of a friend (American) who ended up leaving CzR after a year because he was finding it hard to live here with diabetes. this was just a couple of years ago.

hopefully things have improved since then...
cks

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree, I have never heard of VZP having any pre-existing conditions stipulations. The Czech healthcare system took much better care of me than the U.S. But I don't know how hard the care would be for diabetes. Hospital stay will be expensive without insurance. A doc visit to the private clinic that I went to on Narodni Trida was 1000 kc first visit and then 500 kc after. I used this clinic before I got the good ole VZP. They are a million times better than the American or Canadian Clinic that charges typical American fees.
chromium

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a type 1 diabetic and from the US. I do not live in Czech, but I lived 6 years in Poland and am in my 2nd year in Ukraine. Here is what I my experience has been: the insurance you get from a language school does not and will not cover prescriptions, which includes insulin. Your boyfriend is most likely going to have to buy insulin and test strips like any other prescription. Surprisingly, though, test strips and insulin are cheaper in Europe and in the States; so he should be able to afford them. In Poland 100 strips was about $30, in Ukraine it's about $65.

If he's on Humalog - it will be more expensive, but still nowhere near what it costs in the States.

So, I would simply factor-in paying for this stuff to whatever budget you have. Hope that helps some
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: