Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

25000 Kc gross - survival minimum with a zivno?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your country of origin makes a difference here too - if you have a UK passport, easier to find something as employers won't have to make visa applications on your behalf. However, your other quals are fine and a bit above the usual entry-level. If you time it well, I'd guess you'll find something.

For what it's worth, I had two friends (American) whose parents were Chinese who taught in Prague. There were occasional comments, but nothing serious, and both had two-year teaching stints there.
taylor.1988

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds better, I am basically immune to unintentional or minor racism. I am teaching middle-aged to straight up old (+60) Maori students (indigineous NZers) Shocked who arent too keen on a 22yr old asian guy telling them how to read and write lol

No UK passport though, just NZ. I am looking around Jan, which I read from here is a good time for employment. Is it still the case?

Also, does it sound crazy that to fly from Auckland, NZ to Prague is like NZ$3000?? Would I be better off purchasing a one way or 90 day (schengen) return?

How much is a backpacker (or cheapest form of accom) per night? Something that barely beats sleeping in a car.

Thanks for your useful input Spiral, much appreciated Smile
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, most contracts are Sept - June, but there is usually a small hiring bump at early January, mostly to replace teachers who didn't return after their winter holidays and to accomodate new clients who started contracts with a school at the first of the calendar year. You might help your chances if you send your CV and a cover letter around in early December, but don't be discouraged if you get no replies. However, it could help in January when you make the rounds in person if they have already spent 5 seconds scanning your CV:-)

You shouldn't have much trouble finding a hostel in January, though if you're around New Year's you may indeed find yourself sleeping on a sidewalk Laughing

Usually round trip flight tickets are the cheapest - you can usually plan to pay an additional fee to change the return date if needed. You might look at routes via other major hubs - can be cheaper. I usually fly through Frankfurt, but you could also check other hubs (Brussels?). The price you quote is 1,800 euro (approximately) and that does sound high.
taylor.1988

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey thanks a lot for your help, i have a clearer picture of what ill face. I'll shop around for tickets Smile

so, these hostels... how much roughly?

cheers!
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stay with relatives when I'm in the city Embarassed

Try here? http://www.hostelbookers.com/hostels/czech-republic/prague/
artemisia

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'll shop around for tickets

It's such a long travel route which means fewer deals.

Check out buying (online) from Sydney to Europe. You'd pay in Australian dollars but there's a lot more choice of flights to Europe. It'd be good if you had someone to stay with there as a stopover, otherwise the flight from NZ to Sydney would have to match up. If you decide to do this, just work out if the two (return ?) tickets combined, plus the dollar difference, really makes that worthwhile.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: