Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New American School In Kurdistan??
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GOTL

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:30 am    Post subject: New American School In Kurdistan?? Reply with quote

Anyone know anything about this? Sounds interesting

Fields of Expertise: Elementary, Curriculum Developer, Kindergarten, High School,
Certification: yes
Other details: A new American K12 School
In Kurdistan
(Very safe, friendly and a tourism area)
Following U.S Curriculum
� Must be a USA or Canada native
� Prefer female Teachers
Fields of Expertise: Kindergarten, Elementary, High School, all subjects and fields.
Certification: needed with References
Teaching Qualifications good references
Teaching Requirements:
- Dynamic, energetic and outgoing personality
- Highly organized, able to multi-task
- Team spirit and effort is a must
Teaching Responsibilities:
- follow individualized programs for students
- Should be able to help with Science Homework.
- Guide students with study skills, time management and test/exam prep
- keep record of student�s progress for monthly reports
- attend teacher meetings and workshops
Fields of Expertise: ESL/EFL, Elementary, Curriculum Developer, ESL to Children, Kindergarten, High School, , ... all subjects
Salary: Negotiable
� Free lunch in school days
� Five days a week (Saturdays are sometimes)
� Annual Ticket allowance at end of school year
� Transportation form the accommodated place to the school
safarer30

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:05 pm    Post subject: Good luck Reply with quote

I was asked to review this school for prospective parents, and was sort of perplexed by their website and their lack of English speaking skills. If you're here working for them, please keep everyone posted. As of the last time I checked, they didn't seem to have any one capable of speaking coherent English, let alone teaching the language to students.
GOTL

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:56 am    Post subject: Good to know Reply with quote

Sounds like a fly by the seat pants operation. Too sad they are claiming to follow an American educational system which by the way is pretty loosely defined.
GOTL

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:58 am    Post subject: website Reply with quote

Can you provide a link just to gain more info for other posters?
safarer30

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sure.
http://www.ais-k.org/
LalaLove

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:12 am    Post subject: AIS Reply with quote

I'd love to hear about anyone's experience if you end up teaching at this school. I was really interested and was offered a job, but I couldn't start in September because I'm currently under contract.
truman 123

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:49 am    Post subject: New American School in Kurdistan Reply with quote

Worked there briefly and should have known something was up when 2 staff left when I arrived... one in the dead of night. The 'school' is run out of a half completed former motel surrounded by garbage strewn fields. There is literally NO facilities for the students other than basic desks/chairs and a white board in the classrooms. No textbooks, computers, gym, playground, cafeteria or seating outside other than a derelict fountain full of trash and an asphalt road that resulted in countless bloody knees and noses. The curriculum is 'loosely' based on Birmingham School District, Michigan but without any textbooks/resources/materials teachers were forced to troll the Net each night to print off busy work for the next day. Students are accepted regardless of whether or not they can speak/write/read English and no formal testing is done or school records provided leaving teachers with classrooms three quarters full of non English speakers. Managements idea - pair them with an English speaker and they'll learn as they made it clear that no Esl classes would be offered during school hours yet they are provided at an additional cost after school. Teachers are told to lie to parents when asked about the lack of textbooks, resources or chronic staffing issues (6 staff for 300 plus students). Teachers quarters are sub-standard, no cooking facilities or locks on some suites. All in all, the school ground is a a hazard. curriculum non existent, no teaching resources, chronic under-staffing, frightening mismanagement, and a demented passive aggressive, lying 'intern' principal makes it a hellish work place. Felt sorry for all the parents who paid handsomely for their child to receive an American education with the promise that they could easily transfer to any school in America. Side note: necessary work visas (repeated requests were met with a don't worry) were not issued - you will be fined and detained when you try to leave the country as I was.
namdak

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

truman 123,

thank you for that great description of the school...sounds like my worst nightmares in other places... which I would not wish to repeat....

...the
Quote:
"...'school' is run out of a half completed former motel surrounded by garbage strewn fields."
and
Quote:
"Teachers quarters are sub-standard, no cooking facilities or locks on some suites."
and
Quote:
"...necessary work visas (repeated requests were met with a don't worry) were not issued - you will be fined and detained when you try to leave the country as I was."
all good to know...thank you!
Desert Jasmine

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:54 pm    Post subject: American International School in Kurdistan Reply with quote

I replaced Truman 1-2-3. I am sorry that the poster is bitter about her experience here but I wonder what she expected?
There is nothing easy about starting a new school anywhere. Certainly not in Kurdistan/Iraq.
The gig here is not for ordinary teachers. We are the 21st century version of "Valley Forge" in that we are trying to accomplish something very important in the long-term by simply surviving in the short term.
Teaching at AIS Kurdistan is not for "softies." We need the academic equivalent of "The Few, The Proud, The Marines."
All others please don't apply.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say that if truman's post was even half accurate, this school had no business opening its doors until it had minimal facilities ready for both teachers and students. There really is no excuse for what she listed, nor should any expat teacher have to put up with it.

That is much more than the normal start-up difficulties for a new school. If you have any kind of credentials, there are plenty of jobs in the world that don't have problems like this.

VS
GOTL

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:16 am    Post subject: VS dont be standing for the BS :) Reply with quote

You need to write a book called "Dont buy the bull!!" As always, VS your spot on!!!
Desert Jasmine

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:59 pm    Post subject: American International School in Kurdistan Reply with quote

Well, "Veiled Sentiments", what if it is not even half true? What if there is "another-side-to-the-story" about Truman 1-2-3's performance?

I think we can all agree the facts are: a start-up in Kurdistan is not for everyone even though good teachers are very much needed here and and it is simply not realistic to expect any start-up here to "have-all-their-ducks-in-a-row" before opening. This is not a soft gig in Korea, Japan, etc. This is only for those teachers trying to help out in an area that has undergone a lot of recent trauma.

If that's not "your cup of tea" fine but please don't disparage those of us who are trying to make a difference in the world and willing to pay the high price such demands. Make no mistake about it, Kurdistan is an "adventure" and it is not place for losers who think they are entitled to an easy life anywhere and anytime.

The pay here is decent and facilities adequate but not always convenient. But that is not why we are here. If you expect easy money and a soft life
don't come to Kurdistan. Once again, we are looking for the academic
equivalent of "The Few, The Proud, The Marines" and we don't promise much other than a lot of "blood, sweat and tears".

All others please don't apply and please don't heckle. Thank you.
It's Scary!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"We", "we", "we"...must have a mouse in the pocket, if not management. I wonder how far "The Few, The Proud, The Marines" would go in job adverts!

It certainly is a job to avoid if you're looking for a "soft Rolling Eyes gig"!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not "heckling" because the chances are 50/50 that truman's post is the factual one and that you are one of those that she described. Her competence or abilities or performance are truly irrelevant to her list of problems there. She didn't seem to be demanding a cushy job, but basic classroom resources (texts and such luxury stuff) and housing with a functioning kitchen and locks and a legal work visa. The fact that it appeared to start off with no ESL/EFL classes speaks volumes. IMHO

As I said, if even half of the deficiencies she listed are true, the school was/is not "ready for prime time" since you appear to love American platitudes even more than Americans do.

I have disparaged neither you nor Truman because I don't know either of you, but merely point out the glaring issues brought up by this thread that no teacher should have to put up with... unless, of course, they have some sort of 'missionary' zeal and I hear that there are already plenty of those rattling about Kurdistan.

Good Luck. The Kurdish kids deserve better than this sounds. I'd stick with the advice that I have been giving for years here. Stay away from start-ups unless you are "adventurous" or perhaps masochistic. Cool

VS
GOTL

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: UUUUUUGGGGGGGGGG Reply with quote

Look DJ, you are not the only one in this forum who knows what is occurring in the Kurdish North with English Language schools. You don�t know who is connected to who or what this their history is or what should be assumed.
The Kurdish is slowly or maybe rapidly gaining the reputation of authorities, ownership mentally of teachers with the almighty dinar as god with complete disregard for the level or quality of education.
Look these kids and families deserve better. As you said, this is a region is has face extreme trauma and the internal displacement of Iraqis fleeing to the north is staggering.
If you want educated and qualified teachers than your going to have to offer a certain level of standards. If not, than the school will join the ever growing list of substandard schools offering substandard education.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: