Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching in USA with CELTA TESOL but no university degree

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
britchick

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:59 pm    Post subject: Teaching in USA with CELTA TESOL but no university degree Reply with quote

Does anyone know how likely I am to find a job in the US without a Bachelor's degree? I've got the CELTA and 3 years experience teaching in Europe, but I'd like to go to the States next and I'm worried the lack of a degree will hold me back.

Grateful for any advice, cheers!
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As in other Anglophone countries, the English teaching market is highly competitive in the US. If you need a visa, your chances are basically nil - why would any school jump through the legal hoops to hire a Brit when there are 50 US citizens knocking on the door in response to every single job opening?

I honestly wouldn't think you've got any chance at all if you need a work visa.

If you have dual citizenship or right to work in the US already, you'll still be on the bottom of the heap..., and of a very tight job market.

Consider: would any UK school be eager to hire a US citizen with your level of qualifications, when there are tonnes of qualified British teachers at the doorstep?
britchick

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Spiral

argh, the whole visa thing is something else I'm looking into....for now I was just interested in whether or not a Bachelor Degree was a pre-requisite of working in the USA, or whether there are companies who'll employ teachers with just the CELTA. Out of curiosity more than anything, at this stage.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may find schools in out-of-the-way places that will employ teachers with no degree. It's not illegal to hire such teachers, unlike in parts of Asia. I say 'out-of-the-way' (or inner-city) locations because it would be likely only in job markets where there are not enough teachers to go around. I guess what I'm saying boils down to: in places where most teachers don't want to work, you might have a chance, given that you could get yourself a work visa.

However, again, the market is very tight and at the newbie level I believe it would be quite lucky to find one job that would support even basic living expenses. CELTA qualified teachers usually seem to cobble together several part-time gigs plus private tutoring to try to make ends meet, and from what I hear, it's very tough going.
britchick

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, that helps, thank you Smile
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry it's not nicer news Sad

Good luck! (though I guess you would likely be happier and wealthier elsewhere)
ZOLOU11

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi britchick,
I have recently completed a Trinity Cert TESOL (similar to CELTA) and have no degree but experience teaching children as I'm a teaching assistant. I notice that you don't have a degree but have experience in ESl work, I was wondering if you could please give me any advice/suggestions as I have been looking for work and a lot of places seem to require a degree. Thanks Smile
fraup

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To teach in the U.S. you need a degree, preferably a 4-year one. Lots of daycare operations advertise for "teachers" and may hire people without degrees to be (basically) babysitters. Even there, they prefer associates' degrees in early childhood education.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: