Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

salary - 640pln

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eihpos

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:50 am    Post subject: salary - 640pln Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a quick question about salary - is 640pln +accommodation a decent off? This is based on 16 hours per week and the school say there will be plenty of opportunities for extra lessons. I have contacted a couple of former teachers and the said that they got by ok, but looking at the board here it seems awfully low. It sounds like a lovely school and I would actually like to take the job, but it this a salary I could live on?
eurobound

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started a topic a few months back called 'Kosazlin,' it is still on the first page of topics. You might want to have a look at it. I think you might be posting about the same job that I was looking at back then as the wage is exactly the same plus accomodation was offered (in school accomodation though if I remember correctly.)

Look at the thread; some posters said yeah 2,500 a month plus a place to stay is fine, others seemed to insinuate it made for poverty level living and that I would have been a mug to take it.

I didn't take it in the end but that was because I decided against Poland/Europe in general. I also took a brief holiday to Poland for a week a few months back as well. In my humble opinion (and I don't holiday in an extravagant fashion) 2,500 zloty a month wouldn't be too much fun for a lengthy period of time (i.e. anything more than a week!)
Master Shake

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: salary - 640pln Reply with quote

eihpos wrote:
Hi,

I have a quick question about salary - is 640pln +accommodation a decent off? This is based on 16 hours per week and the school say there will be plenty of opportunities for extra lessons. I have contacted a couple of former teachers and the said that they got by ok, but looking at the board here it seems awfully low. It sounds like a lovely school and I would actually like to take the job, but it this a salary I could live on?

Are the hours 60 or 45 minute hours? If thy're 60 minutes, you'd be earning 40zl/hr which is a pretty lousy rate, even taking into account the accom they're offering. 45 min = 53 zl/hr which is isn't too bad.

But the main concern here is: How are you going to get enough hours to make ends meet? I'd say 2,500zl month is a reasonable salary, but, as you can see on this forum, one person's '3rd world poverty' is another's 'getting by ok'.

I hope this helps!

Last edited by Master Shake on Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
maniak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like shakes said, depends if its a regular hour (60 min) or school hour (45min). If 45 min then its not too bad provided its net of course. But still, 2500zl a month aint a lot, even if the accomodation is a nice flat all to yourself. I make around 4000 just from teaching and itd be difficult to make ends meet if thats all I earned.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: