Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What do English Teachers make...?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bri'ish

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:59 pm    Post subject: What do English Teachers make...? Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm interested in knowing what English Teachers make in terms of salaries, especially ex-pats and foreigners who have a CELTA/TESOL and experience.

Thanks!
justcolleen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on the type of school, where it's located, and what you'll be teaching, as well as your other credentials.

Can you give us more information so we will be better able to help you?
Bri'ish

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello justcolleen,

I'm interested in knowing the range - I know it differs from person to person. Let's say a CELTA, non-Teaching degree, and about 4 years of experience.

Is it above 10K?

Ty.
justcolleen

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Non-teaching degree? 10,000 LE and up would be a stretch, particularly considering that without a teaching degree there is no way you will have a work permit and will only be able to work at schools that employ teachers without the proper permissions.
westbrook1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is that accurate? an egyptian friend of mine, who is sitting here next to me and teaches in cairo, is telling me this is false.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

justcolleen is on the ground and very up-to-date with what expats are getting... certainly in Alexandria. Is your Egyptian friend suggesting that she is saying too much or too little?

VS
justcolleen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

westbrook1 wrote:
is that accurate? an egyptian friend of mine, who is sitting here next to me and teaches in cairo, is telling me this is false.

Well I stand behind my claim.

Perhaps your Egyptian friend hasn't noticed, but thing have changed drastically since the middle of January.

It used to be that anyone with a pulse and a western passport could make a decent living (by Egyptian standards) teaching.

That is no longer the case.

ETA http://bikyamasr.com/wordpress/?p=35929

But, hey, don't take my word for it. Let your Egyptian friend find a legitimate, licensed and accredited school. Present yourself with non-teaching credentials (better yet, a high school diploma or a GED and a four-week TEFL certificate) and let me know how that works out - for both permission to live AND work in the country LEGALLY. Then come back and let us all know how that worked out.

Keep in mind student visas are routinely refused for all but the national universities, long-term employees at multiple-national companies can't get their work permits renewed, and tourist visas are almost always limited to 90 days, but your Egyptian friend knows best.

Good luck and don't forget to come back and tell us how well this worked out for you.
westbrook1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow I detect a sense of self-righteousness in your reply, JC. Sorry for questioning your authority! I'll talk to my friend and see what he says, and as you begged, be sure to come back and let you know how it all works out in the end.

I believe he was referring to obtaining a visa without a teaching degree, as you said previously that it was not possible. I believe he was saying you can obtain a visa to teach/work without having a degree specific to teaching. I'll check and let you know how it works out. I promise! Smile
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the last few months, visas have become much more difficult to get for foreigners in Egypt. Your friend may not even be aware of it.

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: