Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thinking of Kuwait- 44 year old American

View previous topic :: View next topic  
joint

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:31 am    Post subject: Thinking of Kuwait- 44 year old American Reply with quote

Hello... I'm a 44 year old American Male... have a BA in History from a 4 year university in the States.. I have been a teaching assistant, substitute teacher or one to one aide for a student with disabilities for over 7 years of experience working in schools... What are my chances of getting a job in Kuwait teaching English? In May of 2012 I will get my Special Education Teaching License for grades K-12 at the end of a post bac teacher certification program... Do my credentials offer me any hope of being qualified to get a job in Kuwait? any suggestions would be helpful about how to staert seeking a job for the school year 2012.. thanks
lynnknows

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gulf as a whole is not big on Special Ed. It seems to be something that gets swept under the rug instead of being something that is addressed. Many of the student I have worked with, that have parents that accept the fact that their child has a problem, have to go to the Uk or the US to get treatments and meds for their conditions. Some things are just now allowed in these countries.

However, I have seen a school in Kuwait that is geared towards Special Needs children. The place ads every year. I also know of a few schools in Doah that offer special ed programs but they are VERY small, only two classes.

Some of the international schools do offer teachers that come into the class to help with the children that have been identifed as needing extra help. Many times these are student that if in the Us would be special Ed student but since there is no special ed in most schools they are just known as trouble makers, lazy, or whatever and need extra help.

I am sure others can give you more information. This is just what I have noticed.
Ryan E. McDonald

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google "Hope School for Special Needs." Try to contact them by phone and speak with the principal directly. I had an acquaintance who worked there once and he couldn't get the hang of it, so they let him go with the most generous severance pay I have ever heard of after only a few months of employment.
joint

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all the replies... I will look into the suggestions provided...
ColdCanuck

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:18 pm    Post subject: Dasman Model School is a special ed school Reply with quote

Your credentials would need to be approved by the Ministry of Education but it sounds like you would get approval. Dasman special ed staff and students are a joy to work with. Check the school web site to see if they need anyone.
http://www.dasmanschool.com.kw/vacancies.html
They pay on time.
Best of luck!
ColdCanuck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: