Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another American who wants to study and teach in France...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
spanglish

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:06 pm    Post subject: Another American who wants to study and teach in France... Reply with quote

Yes, this question has been asked many times, but I have some more specific questions regarding being an American and teaching in France.

My ideal plan would be to study a masters at Sciences Po, while teaching part time on the side, preferably at the British Council (because of the high pay) and doing IELTS examining.

So, firstly, can a resident expert confirm the rumor that a foreigner with a student visa can legally work 20 hours on the side? Is additional paperwork/bureaucracy needed to obtain this permission? Would it be possible to do IELTS examining and would the B.C. employ an American under a local contract with this type of work permission? Does anybody know if this type of plan is actually done?

My goal with all of this is to change careers, (possibly stay in education, but move into higher education administration or development) but to not throw away my ESL career in the process and to take advantage of the experience that I've got in a way I wouldn't be able to if I were to study a masters in the US.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogan or someone else there on the ground will surely chime in soon, but for what it's worth: I know a few Americans on study visas who are currently working in France, so I can be pretty confident that it's legal. Knowing a bit about France, there will indeed be paperwork, but it's evidently do-able.

Last I heard, BC positions are rare and there is competition.

I would guess that more likely you will be cobbling together private students (probably under the table) and one or more private language institute gigs.

I think you have got some relevant experience and quals, which may help you land something better than most entry-level gigs, but if you're financially counting on something stable and better paid like BC, I think you'll need a lot of luck! It could happen, but probably not something you would want to bank on.

Caveat: Once again, to be crystal clear here, I do not and have never worked in France, though I have lived and worked for some years in the region (two hours from France in the Netherlands and for one year on the border, in Luxembourg). I can only report what I've been told by friends and acquaintances there. That may be worth a bit of consideration, but it is certainly not definitive. When rogan and others contribute to the thread based on their direct experience, I'll be interested and respectful Very Happy
Majuro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The law entitles foreign students to 964 hours of work per year. If you want to work full-time over the summer or part-time over the course of the year is up to you as long as you don't surpass 964 hours.

No, there is no extra paperwork that you need to do or permission to ask for. Your employer needs to notify the Prefecture that you are working and that's it.

http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/F2713.xhtml
rogan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beaten to it by Majuro and his/her perfect reply - but, my excuse is that I'm on holiday.

The British Council has been known to employ non Brits. They ran an IELTS training course in Paris some time ago and there are plans to run another "some time soonish" 'en province'. However the woman responsible for disseminating this information has not shown herself to be very efficient.
yassoun

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:12 pm    Post subject: That's right Reply with quote

That's right I agree with you
rogan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an after thought - the British Council usually requires a Degree and a CELTA - and they check.
sparks

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People consider themselves lucky here in Poland to get part time at the B.C. (because of the pay). The people I know who work there have their DELTA and considerable experience. With a CELTA and luck it's possible but I really wouldn't count on the B.C. if you're haven't got a cert. and some experience. I would imagine that France is highly desireable place and full of qualified Brits so no need to take on a newbie.
spanglish

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a CELTA, degree and am working on my third year of post-CELTA experience (young learners, adults, professionals, ESP, university). I wouldn't dream of getting on with the BC in France without first getting my DELTA and post-DELTA experience.

Thanks for all the answers.
riverboat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I have a friend who recently got a part time (evenings) job with the British Council in Paris. She had a PGCE from the UK plus two years' teaching experience there, as well as a CELTA and a year's experience teaching English in Paris.
spanglish

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so she had the equivalent of a DELTA and 2ish years post-diploma experience.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: