Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

best B.Ed./PGCE for SNET?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dude Love Japan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:19 am    Post subject: best B.Ed./PGCE for SNET? Reply with quote

Thanks for helping out. I have a B.A. in English and am enrolled in the DELTA. I want to become a category 1 SNET and must therefore get a B.Ed. or PGCE. I can pursue the PGCE at HKU, a B.Ed. back home in Canada or a blended learning B.Ed. from an Aussie University. Which degree would serve me best? I have a Korean wife and two young daughters and each option would have pros and cons given my personal situation. I don't expect anyone to tell me what to do but rather which degree, if any in particular, will best help me become a category 1 SNET. Thanks again.
Dude Love Japan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:29 am    Post subject: PGCE in Macau Reply with quote

Also just found out about a PGCE at a St. Joseph's U. in Macau.
Joshua2006

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PGCE in HK whilst working in a school...

Two years from HKIoE - I know several people that are doing it and it isn't taxing on top of a full time job....also, you won't be taxed all the time you are paying student fees which is an added bonus of doing it here.
Serious_Fun

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second Joshua2006's advice. Earn while you learn, plus the tuition paid is deducted from taxable income. The only issue is whether or not HKIE's programme is recognized internationally; check that out if it concerns you.

Dude Love Japan is really pushing Macau ! Dude, that PGCE is a new programme. Have you heard any feedback about it?
sistercream

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's news to me that St Joey's is now a university! (I'm not saying it's not true - stranger things have been known to happen). Previously it's just been an evening school tacked onto a secondary school. It has been offering courses for intending teachers for yonks (university degree never previously a prerequisite), but - like the local currency - a cert. from Joey's had no value whatsoever anywhere outside Macau.
Dude Love Japan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:32 am    Post subject: thanks and reply Reply with quote

-Thanks to everyone who posted. If I were to take the PGCE ft at HKU from Sept. 2012 would I even be able to find work, legal or otherwise? The travelling involved complicates the matter as well. I'd LOVE to take it pt evenings but am having no luck finding work in HK. To my knowledge any degree from HK wouldn't be recognized elsewhere, which is a concern, but with a category 1 teacher's salary (about $6k USD/month, right?) I'd live in HK indefinitely.
-I'm not pushing Macau, don't know what a yonk is.
Perilla

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: thanks and reply Reply with quote

Dude Love Japan wrote:
don't know what a yonk is.

yonks = a long time (Brit informal)

eg. I've known her for yonks
sistercream

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: thanks and reply Reply with quote

Dude Love Japan wrote:
To my knowledge any degree from HK wouldn't be recognized elsewhere,

-I'm not pushing Macau, don't know what a yonk is.

Sorry for the slang - different countries once again separated by their common language Razz

I don't know about PGCE, but PGDE or degrees from major HK universities (including HKU) are generally very well regarded elsewhere in the world.
smurfetta

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in a sort of similar situation. I was overseas but wanted to get a B.Ed or PGCE. After much research, I decided to do my B.Ed in my home province. Now I can teach overeseas or at home (as long as I can find work!).

I believe that in Ontario, it only takes 8 months to get your B.Ed on top of your first degree. Maybe it might be worth it to take ~ a year out from the workforce.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Dude Love Japan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:10 am    Post subject: reply Reply with quote

-Thanks, Smurfetta. I'm an anglophone Quebecer, thought about doing my B.Ed. in ON (where it takes 9 months, as opposed to 3 years in QC). Given my personal situation there are all sorts of pros and cons to doing the B.Ed. in Canada, by Distance through an Australian Uni. and doing a PGDE/PGCE at an HK Uni. It's a seriously tough call that will affect my entire family (Korean wife, a toddler and a newborn in 2 months). Meanwhile, I've heard conflicting reports on whether or not an HK teaching degree would be recognized outside of HK and how much category 1 teachers make as SNETs. Any ideas?
smurfetta

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No clue about whether you can use your pgde from Hong Kong outside of Hong Kong. When I looked into the Hong Kong pgde and programs in Australia and New Zealand, I kept getting advice to check with the BC College of Teachers if I could teach in BC with overseas training. What I fiund out was that I could not get 100% guarentee from the BCCT regarding overseas programs. When I looked into some programs in Aus and NZ, I found that I could not do the whole program by distance. I had to do the practical program in country. I just couldn't justify dragging my family to a foreign country so I could do my practicum plus it was not financially feasible. So, in the end we decided to return home for my studies. I was able to get student loans, grants and bursaries plus student family housing.
Dude Love Japan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:33 am    Post subject: reply Reply with quote

That last bit of your reply is awesome, hope I can get all that when I'm not a resident since I've been outside the country for over 6 months, wonder if I'd have to become a resident again first.
GreenCardigan

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a bit of technical question but related to the theme of this thread. I've read a lot about getting a B.Ed from you home Province. Does that mean that if you're from Ontario you literally need to have a B.Ed from an Ontario University. I would hope that's not the case.

I do happen to be from Ontario and am currently in Australia doing my B.Ed. I don't imagine that this would be a problem for Hong Kong employers, would it?

P.S. A big thank you to all the regulars who post in response to questions on the thread. I've spent the last 2hrs. going over the last 4 pages and much of the info is very helpful!
oxi

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreenCardigan wrote:
Does that mean that if you're from Ontario you literally need to have a B.Ed from an Ontario University. I would hope that's not the case. I do happen to be from Ontario and am currently in Australia doing my B.Ed. I don't imagine that this would be a problem for Hong Kong employers, would it?

Shouldn't be any problem. I know plenty of folk from the UK who got B.Eds and PGCEs from different areas. And quite a few who got their PGDE in HK. Maybe there's different rules for Canada?! I doubt it.
ozman

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can afford it - do the PGCE/PGDE in your home country - particularly if you can do it in UK as this will be recognized in all EU countries.

If this is NOT AN option, then I'd do it in Hong KOng.

Tax breaks (as outlined above). Pretty likely you WILL get a job teaching English in Hong Kong.
You CAN do the secondary PGCE part time at HKIED (I know someone who is enrolled)

It's VERY expensive to do full time study in Australia now with cost of living and high student fees - no tax breaks etc. Hong Kong has to be a much better option than Australia.

Also from my own experience: as a qualified teacher from Australia (now a NET teacher in HK) I worked with a number of Hong Kong qualified teachers (mainly maths and science) who had jobs in Melbourne Australia. Obviously their HK qualifications are recognized, although you would be told to go through the QUALIFICATIONS board or whatever they call it in Australia. I can't speak for recognition of HK qualifications in UK.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: