Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Visa Process? Applying for the first time...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
djpresidente

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:21 am    Post subject: New Visa Process? Applying for the first time... Reply with quote

I'm newly-arrived in the DF and in the process of applying cold turkey at a number of schools. In an interview yesterday, I was told that the process has changed so that you don't need a sponsor and there is one visa/permit for everyone not applying for permanent residence. I haven't found anything on the forum or the internet about this, so I thought I'd ask here, as it looks like a lot of people are going through the application process right now.

As I understand it, the old book has been replaced with a card, but that is the only change I've found so far.

Thanks!

PS If you know of any good job openings in the DF, be sure to let me know!
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going into migra on Tuesday to renew my visa and to help someone get their first independent visa (no sponsor as you note). I'll post the most recent checklist here for new visas. At last check, the paperwork for the card is not much different from that for the old booklet.

There are apparently going to be more changes coming later this year though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
djpresidente

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool. That would be so helpful. Thanks!
JZer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does the visa work? If I am working online as a writer/editor can I get a visa to live in Mexico?
notamiss

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The big changes are coming this November 2011, so what happens now may not necessarily tell us how things will work after the changes kick in. There is a lot in the new system that hasn�t been clarified yet.

I think the most accurate answer to most questions of this type is, �No one knows.�

@JZer, under the present system, you would apply for a visa with authorization to work independently, without sponsorship from an employer. After the changes take effect... who knows? Possibly it will be easier to get independiente status than before.
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JZer should keep in mind that if he gets a visa allowing him to work independently in Mexico, he will have to pay monthly taxes based on his Mexican income. In my opinion, it will not be easy for an expat to find work as a writer/editor here, unless he has some excellent professional contacts.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jzer might be better served by a rentista type visa if he can show sufficient income from abroad ($1000 usd per month I think). If none of the income is drawn from Mexico, why pay taxes here? I'm assuming here as he said online...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: New Visa Process? Applying for the first time... Reply with quote

djpresidente wrote:
I'm newly-arrived in the DF and in the process of applying cold turkey at a number of schools. In an interview yesterday, I was told that the process has changed so that you don't need a sponsor and there is one visa/permit for everyone not applying for permanent residence. I haven't found anything on the forum or the internet about this, so I thought I'd ask here, as it looks like a lot of people are going through the application process right now.

As I understand it, the old book has been replaced with a card, but that is the only change I've found so far.

Thanks!

PS If you know of any good job openings in the DF, be sure to let me know!

For the moment, nothing has changed regarding the independent visa. You still need to pay for the visa at the bank using a form they give, and bring in the receipt, original and copies of your passport, original and copy of the application printed from the migra website, copy and original of your degree and/or teaching qualifications, and a letter in Spanish outlining what you intend to do independently and how you are qualified to do it. File that and they summon you back to complete the process bringing in photos and another short application, proof of address, take your fingerprints and it's done.

I asked some staff at DF migra about the upcoming changes but they had very little concrete to say. They did confirm that the rumour of no longer being able to turn tourist or business visas into work visas from within Mexico is not true.
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:
Jzer might be better served by a rentista type visa if he can show sufficient income from abroad ($1000 usd per month I think). If none of the income is drawn from Mexico, why pay taxes here? I'm assuming here as he said online...

I'm sure you need to show an income of quite a bit more than $1000 a month for a single person to be eligible for a rentista visa. By now it's possibly up to $1300 or $1400. Of course, you pay taxes only on income earned in Mexico, not elsewhere
JZer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isla Guapa wrote:
JZer should keep in mind that if he gets a visa allowing him to work independently in Mexico, he will have to pay monthly taxes based on his Mexican income. In my opinion, it will not be easy for an expat to find work as a writer/editor here, unless he has some excellent professional contacts.

So then I would not pay any taxes since none of the money I earn is coming from Mexico.
JZer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How difficult is to to apply for an independent visa if you speak minimal Spanish?
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JZer wrote:
Isla Guapa wrote:

So then I would not pay any taxes since none of the money I earn is coming from Mexico.

Exactly...a rentista visa is what retirees get to stay here part or full time, showing income from abroad sufficient to sustain themselves.

Quote:
How difficult is to to apply for an independent visa if you speak minimal Spanish?

You'd need help as everything is in Spanish.
MotherF

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Jzer were to open a Mexican bank account in which to recieve money made online, then he would still be legally responsible for income tax, even though that money was deposited from abroad. Of course, I suspect it is easy to slip through the system in such a case. But if we are talking about what's legal, then yes, he would have to pay taxes if he were recieving the income in Mexico.

According to the Mexican consulate in Los Angeles the income for Rentista visa is still 1000 US dollars a month.

http://portal.sre.gob.mx/con_losangeles/index.php?option=displaypage&Itemid=199&op=page&SubMenu=
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotherF wrote:

According to the Mexican consulate in Los Angeles the income for Rentista visa is still 1000 US dollars a month.

http://portal.sre.gob.mx/con_losangeles/index.php?option=displaypage&Itemid=199&op=page&SubMenu=

Quite often the information found on Mexican Consulate websites in the US (and elsewhere) are not accurate. Here's some more accurate information I've found on Mexconnect:

" . . . for a retired person the formula works like this (according to the Migratory Manual published in the DOF in January of 2010):

1. For a No-Inmigrante Rentista the foreigner must prove that they have an income of 250 times the minimum wage in Mexico City: 250 x $59.28 = $14820 pesos."

This is taken from a post dated July 17, 2011.
JZer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Exactly...a rentista visa is what retirees get to stay here part or full time, showing income from abroad sufficient to sustain themselves.

If I take a copy of my US bank account with $12,000 US in it, would I be like to be insued a rentista for one year?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: