Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching Chile recruiters - Legit??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Photini1967

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:55 pm    Post subject: Teaching Chile recruiters - Legit?? Reply with quote

Hi...I hope this isn't repetitious of other posts but I searched and couldn't find another on this topic so here goes --

Does anyone know if Teaching Chile, which requires a fee, is a legitimate, quality recruitment program? Or is it a scam? I'm wary of any organization charging a fee.

Thanks!
spanglish

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've read on here, they're genuine and not a scam, though some would say that an organization that charges you to find you a job is by definition a scam. I would lean toward that interpretation.
Insubordination

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should do a search. There has been a recent discussion of this program.
Photini1967

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:40 am    Post subject: Teaching Chile search: nothing! Reply with quote

Hi -- I have done a search and I cannot find anything on the cafe forum. If you have any suggestions of where to look, here or elsewhere, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.
spanglish

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of people fought about it and made accusations, myself included. My opinion is that the money you would send them would be better spent on airfare and food and lodging while you're looking around for a job. Or on a CELTA.
DLat

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a few threads that discuss TeachingChile. They're fairly old though. I called and spoke with Bruce once. They appear to be legit.

If you're still interested, perhaps you could learn more by asking them for referals to talk to former teachers. If you do that, please let me know what you learned!

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=37006&highlight=teachingchile

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=60878&highlight=teachingchile

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=74529&highlight=teachingchile
lacolina

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:43 pm    Post subject: Don't worry Reply with quote

I am part of TeachingChile right now and it's not a scam.

I like Teaching Chile because Bruce and Andrea help you find housing, help you with your visa, and help you go through different legal processes like getting a carnet. They also gave us a welcome package with maps, a subway card, an outlet converter, and other stuff. You can call them any time with any problem. They are a good support system to have.

The university that most of us teach at, Duoc, is part of Universidad Cat�lica. It's a community college kind of school where English is mandatory for all students.

Whoever said Chile was expensive is completely wrong. My rent is 115,000 a month (about $250 USD) which includes electric, gas, internet, and water. Food, traveling, clothes, and most other things are much cheaper than I'm used to in the US.

The bottom line is that TeachingChile is a good program, but if you're independent and savvy enough you can do it alone. If you want to get a job teaching English in Chile, you could probably just come down here and find one.
SeHablaIngles

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Teaching Chile recruiters - Legit?? Reply with quote

Photini1967 wrote:
Hi...I hope this isn't repetitious of other posts but I searched and couldn't find another on this topic so here goes --

Does anyone know if Teaching Chile, which requires a fee, is a legitimate, quality recruitment program? Or is it a scam? I'm wary of any organization charging a fee.

Thanks!

It's quite simple: DO NOT PAY SOMEBODY TO GIVE YOU A JOB.

The company is legit in the sense that it's not actually breaking any laws and the owners haven't been locked up. They profiteer on the naive ignorance of freshly qualified uni grads from the USA. You know the sort I mean, right? If it's not in Lonely Planet or Trip Advisor then don't visit it.

I've been here over three years and there's never been more work. Granted, I don't work for an institution; those days are well behind me. But if you have your TEFL Cert. and are a native speaker, you'll decide who to work for and not the other way around.
spanglish

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sehablaingles, help us out a little here. I'm trying to figure out if I can do as well or better in Chile as I can in Colombia. Can you get a uni job with just a degree, CELTA and a few years post-CELTA teaching experience? What kind of pay would be good in Chile, and possible to get? What's the visa situation like?
SeHablaIngles

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spanglish wrote:
sehablaingles, help us out a little here. I'm trying to figure out if I can do as well or better in Chile as I can in Colombia. Can you get a uni job with just a degree, CELTA and a few years post-CELTA teaching experience? What kind of pay would be good in Chile, and possible to get? What's the visa situation like?

If you just want a uni job then it seems you have all the prerequisites. If you want to work for a language institute you are very well qualified. I have PM'd you the email address with the British guy who runs the English classes for Universidad de Chile.....they pay vey well!
spanglish

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I emailed him, but no response. That's fine, as I wouldn't really expect anybody in Latin America to take time to answer questions unless you're actually physically present. I've got a good uni job in Bogota right now but am ready to move on from Colombia.
SeHablaIngles

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spanglish wrote:
Yeah, I emailed him, but no response. That's fine, as I wouldn't really expect anybody in Latin America to take time to answer questions unless you're actually physically present. I've got a good uni job in Bogota right now but am ready to move on from Colombia.

You're so right!! To be fair though, the students have been on 'strike' for months now so they probably aren't teaching any classes. He usually has a big recruitment drive around Feb/Mar so if you fancied a little holiday just walk into his office. I can show you when you're here!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Chile All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: