Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First time teacher: where to go?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
woodenfloor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:04 pm    Post subject: First time teacher: where to go? Reply with quote

I got my CELTA about 6 months ago but have yet to find a job, so I'm heading out to some place in the next couple of weeks. my problem is where?

I don't have a degree but I am an EU (UK) citizen. I also have some higher education in computing and professional qualifications, experience tutoring IT.

Ideally if it was long term I would like to try and live/work in Paris, but I've heard this is not the best place for TEFL and also requires quite decent french. (my long term is aim is to learn to speak french fluently and then move into the IT arena in france) is work still available there in september? I'm prepared to also try the TEFL meccas in central-eastern europe, and also spain is these are more realistic options but there would be no longterm aim in staying there so i do not want to eat into my savings for a detour.

I'm 30 so I am reasonably concerned about future planning, if the IT thing wasn't working out I would look to get a DELTA, hopefully making my lack of a degree less of a problem.

also, if you get a job in a temporary freelance way, what sort of support can I expect. help finding accomodation? text books provided? a syllabus provided? I am slightly worried about being employed and then just being told "there are your 15 students, get on with it."

thanks in advance.
ancient_dweller

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you looked at other cities in France?

I have heard wages are subsistence for entry-level jobs.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have heard wages are subsistence for entry-level jobs.

That's true throughout the Western/Central European region.
woodenfloor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's what I was gathering.

I suppose I haven't made the dilema I face clear enough. Basically, I am willing (happy even, prague and budapest look beautiful) to go to a more eastern country if there is a clear advantage in searching for a job. for example, to get experience, also I really want to find out if living abroad and teaching full-time is for me.

but if there is no clear advantage shouldn't I just go all in with my first choice anyway?

you've kinda answered that I guess, so maybe I should just stick with Paris come what may.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Basically, I am willing (happy even, prague and budapest look beautiful) to go to a more eastern country if there is a clear advantage in searching for a job.

I don't think job prospects are stronger in Prague or Budapest than in Paris, honestly. Prague in particular is a VERY competitive job market (there are five or six TEFL training centres in the city).
Czexpat

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Quote:
Basically, I am willing (happy even, prague and budapest look beautiful) to go to a more eastern country if there is a clear advantage in searching for a job.

I don't think job prospects are stronger in Prague or Budapest than in Paris, honestly. Prague in particular is a VERY competitive job market (there are five or six TEFL training centres in the city).

Just out of curiosity, what are they? I can think of Oxford TEFL, The Language House, Caledonian and Akcent but I don't know of the others.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ITC and TEFL Worldwide... others?
Hasn't ITTP got a training centre?

I am not sure if ITC is still in operation, actually.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: