Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How much do the companies pay schools?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Czexpat

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:41 am    Post subject: How much do the companies pay schools? Reply with quote

I was just wondering if there is a standard price that companies pay language schools. My friend, who is a company director, asked me and I said I thought it would be about 1,000Kc per hour.

I've heard that anecdotally and it would probably fit with the rates of pay for teachers but a Director of Studies at a large school claimed their rule of thumb was at least 50Kc over what the teachers were paid. However, I can't believe that schools are working for that little.

Does anyone have any experience in this area?
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Prague Post has got a page describing most of the major schools in Prague (from an objective point of view), including stuff like who the DOS/managment is, where they're located, and who their major clients are. Prices per lesson are included there. http://bol.praguepost.com/Language-Schools-and-Agencies/The-BRITISH-SCHOOL-s-r-o-.html
Czexpat

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
The Prague Post has got a page describing most of the major schools in Prague (from an objective point of view), including stuff like who the DOS/managment is, where they're located, and who their major clients are. Prices per lesson are included there. http://bol.praguepost.com/Language-Schools-and-Agencies/The-BRITISH-SCHOOL-s-r-o-.html

Thanks. Would those prices for company courses be per course or per student? They seem low.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure it's per student, as it's far lower than what the teachers are paid Very Happy
Czexpat

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
I'm sure it's per student, as it's far lower than what the teachers are paid Very Happy

Then I'm doing something wrong as no school has yet offered me 469Kc for an hour. Confused
Chris Westergaard

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's less than 1000 an hour for sure. Most companies probably pay around 450-700 per hour I would imagine.
Czexpat

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Westergaard wrote:
It's less than 1000 an hour for sure. Most companies probably pay around 450-700 per hour I would imagine.

Thanks for the reply.

How about the rate per student? Is there a flat rate plus additional cost for each student?
Mercury Morris

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:51 am    Post subject: Prague Post list very good but out of date Reply with quote

Wow that's a great list of schools and profile data from the Prague Post. But after looking it over I noticed some of the schools have already changed hands. For example TEC (Tailored English Courses) has been bought by Spevacek (SPA Agency). Even if the data is a bit dated, its an excellent resource.

The price schools charge varies, depending on which school and also which client. I think the schools negotiate different packages for each client. A typical contract for example would be 12,000czk for 16 90 minute lessons (750czk/90 min). Or maybe 520czk/60 min lessons, billed monthly.

The higher the teacher-to-student ratio is, the more money the school makes (at the teacher's expense). The profit a school makes on 1 to 1 lessons is maybe only 100czk give or take, but add just a few more students and the school is making a huge profit.

Here's a hypothetical contract with above mentioned pay rates: let's say a company signs a contract with an ESL school for English lessons agreeing to pay 750czk/90 mins per student, for a 5 student class: that's 3,750 per 90 minute class paid to the school for each weekly lesson. What does the school pay the teacher for this lesson? 480czk.

In one month from that one company the school has made 15,000czk.
How much did the school pay the teacher for those 4 classes? 1,920czk.

Little wonder ESL schools in Prague are such a racket Twisted Evil

You can imagine how VERY ANGRY ESL school directors become when teachers leave a school--and take a company contract with them. It happens. This is why you often see dead bodies of ESL teachers floating down the Vltava when heading to your 7.30am class Twisted Evil
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Wow that's a great list of schools and profile data from the Prague Post. But after looking it over I noticed some of the schools have already changed hands. For example TEC (Tailored English Courses) has been bought by Spevacek (SPA Agency). Even if the data is a bit dated, its an excellent resource

The thread's a year old now, and the list was likely even older.
Mercury Morris

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: A year old thread is a young thread for this forum Reply with quote

The thread may be a year old--but that's relatively young for such an inactive, slothlike forum as this LOL.

Like I said the link to the table is great, regardless of its being a bit dated. Thanks for uploading it.

BTW, as a minor sidenote what's up with the dog poo fixation in your moniker? (just kidding!)
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all about cleaning it up Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: