Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newb seeks advice on CDII and the Paris job market

View previous topic :: View next topic  
absolutelylez

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:35 pm    Post subject: Newb seeks advice on CDII and the Paris job market Reply with quote

Hello,

I've been hearing lots of scary stories about Paris, which is a terrible pity, as I've really had my heart set on it. I really need to ask for some advice on the situation, I'm getting (very) cold feet!

My position:
1. First degree in Business and French
2. CELTA will be done very soon.
3. I want to teach for a career
4. I want relative security. I think I'd need �1200 to live "okay" in Paris.
5. Minimal experience. I had some private students a year or so ago.
6. UK citizen

My questions are:
1. With my qualifications, what are my chances of getting employed (at a goodish school).
2. Which schools should I avoid? (Inlingua, Wall Street..anyone else?)
3. Are there any good schools that you could recommend to me?
4. What are the minimum guaranteed hours on a CDI-I contract? And do lots of schools offer this contract, or is it an exception?
5. I will be on the spot job hunting in February. Is this a good month, or a dead month?
6. Any other element of advice, particularly on contracts, applications, good schools...

Thanks very much in advance!
rogan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A CDI is a Contrat � dur�e ind�t�rmin� = a permanent contract.

They are very few and very, very far between.
It's much more likely that you would find a CDD - a contract with a time limit.

It's more common to have several CDDs in several places with several training providers.

The simplest thing (if you're in the UK or Eire) is to sign on as unemployed, see the European Advisor and take all the help they can give you to relocate to France - for example you could get up to 3 months unemployment benefit from the UK while you hunt for work.

If you have a written invitation to an interview in France the unemployment office (or whatever it's called these days) can also pay your travel costs from UK to France.

2000� a month is more reasonable in Paris.
absolutelylez

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks for your reply! I didn't know that the UK would provide help for jobs abroad. I think that looking for work on the spot is probably better for such a large city.

And no, it wasn't a typo! I've been hearing a bit about CDI-I, Contrat a dur�e indetermin�e *intermittent* - apparently it's a contract normally used for seasonal workers, that doesn't necessarily guarantee weekly hours.

CDD is the one I would prefer - of course as a beginner I wouldn't ever expect a CDI especially in Paris. Is CDD the most popular type of contract given?
riverboat

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm also a British citizen with a BA and CELTA working in Paris. I think I wrote everything I could say to help you already on this thread:

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=82353&sid=0b0d7ab157700807c1243697ce81e1a9

...but if you have any other questions feel free to ask.
rogan

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with a CDI-I is that you have to complete 200 hours of work before you qualify for unemployment benefit in France - in the year that applies. It means you don't get paid when you don't have any teaching hours.

A couple of years ago all the actors, musicians and theatre people tried to go on strike to change this situation - result, the month long Festival of Avignon was cancelled, but otherwise nothing changed.

If you're not planning on living long term in France this may not have any importance to you - unless you need to eat and pay your rent when you're not working.

Beaurocracy and odd rules were invented in France - take advantage of any UK/EU unemployment benefits that you can.
woodenfloor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Paris viable without a degree?

I have an HND in computing because that was all I really needed before, and few professional IT qualifications because I am an IT tutor in the UK.

I finished my CELTA here and after having no luck applying online to schools in europe (as is the norm apparently) I have decided to just uproot and go.

If I'm having my absolute pick of destinations, Paris would ne number 1, but if employment is unrealistic without a degree I guess I will give one of the eatern european meccas like prague or budapest a go.
riverboat

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need a degree. CELTA + professional work experience will count just as much if not more as CELTA + degree for most language schools I think. I know that would be the case where I work.

...and yeah, you won't get anywhere trying to apply for jobs in Paris while you're still in the UK. You need to be on the ground here, and have a French mobile phone number and a local address on your CV to be taken seriously.
woodenfloor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, that's a bit hard. I read most apartments won't let you lease without a contract of employment to prove income.

can I stay with you? Wink
riverboat

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flat-hunting in Paris is a total nightmare. It won't just be the lack of job contract that will hold you back (though that is necessary), you will also need a guarantor who must a) live in France b) earn a salary that is at least three times your rent in France. The guarantor must sign a document saying that they will pay your rent should you default on it, plus provide evidence of their earnings and address.

For the above reasons, I'd forget trying to get an apartment through an agency, unless you're lucky enough to find solutions to those problems. You'd be better off looking on fusac.fr, apartager.com, craigslist.fr (but be careful for the scams) and pap.fr to deal with individuals, rather than agencies, who are more likely to be flexible about guarantors and paperwork and the like. The downside is these places are often very sought-after (at least the best value ones) and it can take time to clinch one.

The way a lot of people do it is: come to Paris with a temporary place to stay set up (ie with a friend, or in a hostel or a short-term let) use this address as your base for job-hunting and on your CV, then once you've got the job you're in a better position to find a permanent place.

There's also the whole nightmare of opening a bank account, ie: you can't open a bank account without a proven French address (ie a bill with your name on it or a letter plus supporting documents from the owner to state that you live there) but you can't GET an address without a bank account, because you need one to pay your rent. Good luck with that one Wink
rogan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Riverboat.

Joseph Heller's book was a favourite of mine many, many years ago.

And then I came to France in 1991 and discovered I was living in Catch 22
MarkStevens

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came to Paris 6 months ago after 2 decades of dreaming about living here. I leave in 3 weeks, and I'm counting every second. I swear, this is the most annoying place I've ever lived (and I come from London!), and a bunch of homogeneously pretty architecture doesn't make it alright. My advice is stay the HELL away, but at the same time I know a few friends at work who really love it here. It does seem to be a love it or hate it sort of place, and I'm very much in the latter camp.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: