Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ecuador: Cultural exchange visa, working with EIL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jillyfishfoodie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:49 am    Post subject: Ecuador: Cultural exchange visa, working with EIL Reply with quote

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone can provide some updated information about working for EIL in Quito. I contacted them after seeing a posting for some openings recently, but can't find anything that says whether or not this is actually a pay-to-participate gig or regular job.

Also, I understand that EIL helps arrange a cultural exchange visa (12-VIII) for its teachers. On the Ecuadorian consulate website it says that teachers applying for that type of visa must sign something saying that they will "render their services free of charge" since it is an "exchange." So, I'm a little unsure about pursuing this. Anyone have any recent experience getting hired/starting a job with EIL?

Mil gracias!
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EIL have a good reputation, though the pay isn't great. It's usually paid positions, though I think they do arrange some volunteer stuff as well, so make sure you know what you are signing up for.

Although if they are offering a cultural exchange visa it will probably be paid, otherwise they would be offering a volunteer visa.

It's pretty normal to work here on a cultural exchange visa, and nothing to worry about if you are with a school who are registered for cultural exchange activities. You are allowed to be paid enough to cover your living costs and expenses, which is about all you ever get here anyway Wink but you aren't allowed to make a big profit. You won't pay tax and you should also get health insurance coverage with it as well.
CelesteCielos

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HLJHLJ wrote:

It's pretty normal to work here on a cultural exchange visa, and nothing to worry about if you are with a school who are registered for cultural exchange activities. You are allowed to be paid enough to cover your living costs and expenses, which is about all you ever get here anyway Wink but you aren't allowed to make a big profit. You won't pay tax and you should also get health insurance coverage with it as well.

Can you please expand further on the cultural exchange visa for Ecuador? I'm moving to Tena, Napo province in 10 weeks on the 12-IX Visa. So I have just six months to find a teaching job and get that Visa changed over to...some other Visa. I heard it's almost impossible to get a work visa and that only about 12 schools in all of Ecuador are involved in the cultural exchange program. Is this true? Will I be returning to the States in 6 months after an epic FAIL??
~Celeste~
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the correct qualifications it's not impossible to get a work visa, just somewhat expensive. The correct qualification to teach English is a first degree in English (i.e. content not the presentation language).

As far as I know it's only the big schools that can offer cultural exchange visas for English teaching, there are a lot of regulations and paperwork involved so it is out of the reach of smaller enterprises.

I am pretty sure that you posted about this some months ago, and that you were advised then that visas were going to be an issue for you, especially without a degree.

Unless you have some additional information about a specific school or programme in Tena, I'd put your chances of getting a legitimate work or CE visa there as close to zero. There are very few paid teaching opportunities round there, though plenty of volunteer options.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: