Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My Passport - Have you heard of this?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flo

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 2:49 pm    Post subject: My Passport - Have you heard of this? Reply with quote

I am living in Peru and working for an extremely disorganized University in the northern part of the country. I have finally purchased my plane ticket out of here. My employer is supposed to pay me for my last month salary and my plane ticket, so I have to submit my paperwork now, and hopefully I will get my money before I leave in July.

Here is the stupid part. My employer paid for my work visa last year, which involved travelling to the consulate office in Ecuador, reentering Peru, and then sending my passport to Lima for more than 2 months. During this time I could not travel anywhere. Now, my boss wants to send my visa back to Lima to have my work visa "cancelled". Does this sound like non-sense to anyone? My family is visiting me and we are supposed to go to Boliva. If my passport is in Lima, I cannot travel with them. I asked my employer if I can go to Lima myself with my passport to have the Visa, and they said, "absolutely not". I have also tried to contact the embassy or immigration office via e-mail but cannot find an e-mail address for either of them. In addition to all of this, one of my friends who used to work for this institution gave them her passport 3 months ago for the same reason, and she has not seen it since. I think this is an excuse the school is using so they won�t have to pay me my money.

Any similar experience? What do you think? Is this legal (even in Peru)?
moonraven

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless Peru is very different from most countries--and I do not believe it is--you do not need to go through the process you indicated they told you was necessary. If you want to turn in your work visa to immigration at the airport when you leave, they should take care of it. At this point, as things are clearly dicey between you and your employer, do not surrender your passport for any reason.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: