Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where to live and work with a 2 year old

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
viv123

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:05 am    Post subject: Where to live and work with a 2 year old Reply with quote

My partner and I would like to spend about 6 to 9 months living somewhere in South America next year. The plan is I will teach and my partner will stay at home and take care of our son, who'll be 2.

I have a BA, a Masters (but not in Education), a CELTA and about 8 years experience teaching English. I don't speak Spanish and I have an Australian accent, which I imagine will count against me.

Can anyone recommend a good place for us to live? Cuenca, Ecuador sounds great, but I was shocked by the wages there- around $300 a month! We are happy to take some money from home to supplement my income, but we don't want to go broke either. If we take an extra $200 a month, will that be enough for us to live on? Or is it unrealistic to expect the three of us to get by living in Cuenca on $500 a month?

Can anyone recommend somewhere similar in South America where the wages are slightly better, but where it is still relatively safe and nice to live in?

Any advice would be really appreciated.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your partner, you mean you're married or not? If not then you couldn't get them a visa. I'd look at universities if I were you. Pay might be 700 to 1500 a month.

UDEP used to pay 700
just_a_mirage

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the decent paying work in Ecuador is in Quito or Guayaquil. I would love to live on the coast, but simply cant afford the low wages. Cuenca does not pay much. You dont see many long-term English teachers there who rely only on their earned income. Most who are living there have other sources of income besides teaching. Its a beautiful city, but not the best choice for people who need to earn a living. I live in Guayaquil, and work two full time jobs. I work six days a week, and make about $1200 a month. You could conceivably live on $500 a month, but you would be living very bare bones...no travel, nights out, etc. Or you could work two jobs. Most teachers here in Ecuador work more than one.
If you wanted to come for just six months, you could come on the 12-IX which is the extended tourist visa which allows you to work legally. If you are not married, you would have to apply separately, and one of you could claim your child as a dependent.
MotherF

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mexico might be worth looking into.
I'd also say look at unis in Mexico. (While further away from Australia, there are probably more flights connecting through Los Angeles, so travel time actually be shorter than to Ecuador.)

What countries and what types of students did you teach over your 8 years of experience?
viv123

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for those suggestions. We're not married at the moment but we're planning to be by the time we go overseas.
I taught children in Japan and Korea for a few years and then taught adults in Australia- EAP, FCE, General English.
MotherF

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are schools in Mexico that would be interested in someone familiar with the FCE that would pay enough for your partner to stay home with your son. But they would likely only offer a 12 month contract. PM me if you want more information.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: